bike rider

10spd Front Derailleur on 2x9?

Can the XX front derailleur be used on a 2x9 drivetrain? My understanding is that the outside of a 10spd chain is narrower, so is thew cage narrow enough that it rubs a lot more than a 9spd derailleur?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I am using a XX FD on 2x9 with XO gripshift and it works fine. I am using a 10 speed chain though. I started with a 9 speed chain and it worked ok. Went to the 10 speed chain and it is smoother all around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    SCFlyer- so you have an XX FD on 2 ring front, XO shifts, 9 speed cassette, and 10 speed chain? Is your 2 ring dedicated or did you drop your big ring? Is your rear derailleur XX?

I have stylo 2x front crankset and shimano LX FD, and get mixed shifting results. with out changing my entire drive train to SRAM'S new 2X10 line, I could just switch to XX 2X10 FD 10 speed chain?

(oh and my X0 shifts are trigger)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm running 9 speed XO RD with Token jockeys and XO twist shifters, Middleburn Duo(40x29) mated to a Token 108mm bb, XX FD and Sram 1090 chain. The cogset is XTR 11-34 with the 14 removed and an ActionTec 36 added and the Shimano 11 replaced with ActionTec locking 11 to give me an 11-36 nine speed.