Dr. Frost

105 double/triple shifter w/ mtb FD problem!

Yikes, so I want to run some road bars and shifters on my mountain bike with an XT triple crankset, XT top or bottom pull front derailleur and I'm having trouble getting it to shift into the big ring. It's like it runs out of travel....like a double shifter instead of a triple shifter. But the box says double OR triple. The instructions....couldn't find it (the solution) (and I even tried!). So is this possible? What am I doing wrong? Thanks `

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Double Or Triple...

Have you tried actuating the shifter when it wasn't attached to the derailleur? That will let you know if you've got a double ot triple.
    If it is indeed a triple shifter, I would guess that it's a chainline issue, ie your crank is to far away from the BB and the shifter can't pull the derailleur that far out.

The original Dura-Ace (7400) and Ultegra STI levers, although only rated as 'double' fronts would shift a triple with a little tweaking of the f derailleur.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    Yikes, so I want to run some road bars and shifters on my mountain bike with an XT triple crankset, XT top or bottom pull front derailleur and I'm having trouble getting it to shift into the big ring. It's like it runs out of travel....like a double shifter instead of a triple shifter. But the box says double OR triple. The instructions....couldn't find it (the solution) (and I even tried!). So is this possible? What am I doing wrong? Thanks `
    Shimano's road shifters and triple mtb front ders don't play nice together. I had the same problem moving drop bars and Ultegra shifters to my old hardtail mtbike. The Ultegra shifters were definitely triple shifters and had been used as such for several years on my road bike. The "throw" is apparently not enough for a triple mtb front der. I could get middle and either the inner or outer ring, but not all three, no matter what I did. I've been wrenching on bikes for 25 years and tried everything, including starting from scratch several times to make sure it wasn't my mistake. I later read of someone else having the same problem. My solution wasn't pretty, but was effective. I wasn't able to find a top-pull road front der, so I got a "Backstop Cable Stop" to fit the seat tube from Problem Solvers or QBP, I forget which, but it's in the QBP catatog. Mounted the cablestop below the 105 front der and zip-tied full-length housing to the downtube, under the BB and up to the cable stop. Like I said, it isn't elegant, but this bike has a road fender on the back, an mtb fender up front, skinny tires and a suspension fork. "Ugly" is part of it's charm. I dubbed it "The Oddvaark."

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Dr. Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    Shimano's road shifters and triple mtb front ders don't play nice together. I had the same problem moving drop bars and Ultegra shifters to my old hardtail mtbike. The Ultegra shifters were definitely triple shifters and had been used as such for several years on my road bike. The "throw" is apparently not enough for a triple mtb front der. I could get middle and either the inner or outer ring, but not all three, no matter what I did. I've been wrenching on bikes for 25 years and tried everything, including starting from scratch several times to make sure it wasn't my mistake. I later read of someone else having the same problem. My solution wasn't pretty, but was effective. I wasn't able to find a top-pull road front der, so I got a "Backstop Cable Stop" to fit the seat tube from Problem Solvers or QBP, I forget which, but it's in the QBP catatog. Mounted the cablestop below the 105 front der and zip-tied full-length housing to the downtube, under the BB and up to the cable stop. Like I said, it isn't elegant, but this bike has a road fender on the back, an mtb fender up front, skinny tires and a suspension fork. "Ugly" is part of it's charm. I dubbed it "The Oddvaark."

Kathy :^)
    Well that would make sense I guess. I'm sure the derailleur goes outboard enough to get to the big ring and the shifters say double/triple right on the box so a different pull on the front derailleur might be it. So now....a new derailleur. Yuk!

mtbr member
    Last spring I decided to build up a Klein road frame but with flat bars. I decided to go with the new Ultegra group using 10 speed rapidfire road shifters and a front triple derailleur specifically designed to be used with 53/42/30 rings. Works great and I've had no problems whatsoever.
    Get over it!