mtbr member

10 Speed SRAM chain - reusable quick link

KMC and Wipperman both make reusable 10 speed quick links, but Wipperman says 10 speed Shimano compatible and I can't find anything regrading compatibility of the KMC. Are one or both of these ok with the current 10 speed SRAM mountain chains?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    KMC makes Shimano chains they are closely matched and yes I have tried it. I have put 9 cog connectors on a 10 cog chain they can pop off. I also have a Whipperman connector that works with 10 cog Shimano chains.
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Although they say they are not reusable the 10 Speed SRAM power locks are, just a bit fiddly to take off.
    How to Remove a Black Sram PowerLock from a 10 Speed Chain - YouTube
    I use an adjustable pair of pliers rather than a channel lock in the vid, as I don't have one. I generally replace them when I change the chain and have never had one break on me after reuse.
    I have used them on both Shimano and SRAM chains no problem, I do usually carry a spare just in case I have any sort of chain problem, Having said that it's only a few bucks to replace them so no big deal.
    I have to travel 15miles to get KMC stuff (the LBS is only 400 yards away that sells SRAM / Shimano) - only reason I haven't tried them

mtbr member
    I don't really take the chain off regularly for maintenance, just on occasion to service pivots, etc. Good to know I can remove and reuse if absolutely necessary, but I'll go ahead and invest in a couple of power locks to carry in the pack jic. I might order a KMC or Wipperman 10 speed quick link to try in the future, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    Although they say they are not reusable the 10 Speed SRAM power locks are, just a bit fiddly to take off.
    How to Remove a Black Sram PowerLock from a 10 Speed Chain - YouTube
    I use an adjustable pair of pliers rather than a channel lock in the vid, as I don't have one. I generally replace them when I change the chain and have never had one break on me after reuse.
    I have used them on both Shimano and SRAM chains no problem, I do usually carry a spare just in case I have any sort of chain problem, Having said that it's only a few bucks to replace them so no big deal.
    I have to travel 15miles to get KMC stuff (the LBS is only 400 yards away that sells SRAM / Shimano) - only reason I haven't tried them

dwt
    mtbr member
    After 10 years or so of using re-usable removable links, I have quite a collection of 9 speed SRAM power links, 9 &10 speed kMC missing links, and Wipperman links I like the Wipperman least as the are not symmetrical and wont work upside down (skips on 11T cog) Dont have time for that But the best link of all I've used is IRD snap link. Easiest going on and coming off. The 10 speed snap link fits Shimano , SRAM and KMC chains. IRD chains are quality in themselves - cassettes are also good

http://www.interlocracing.com/chains.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sram quick links just do not ****ing work. Have to use pliers every time. Still, better than having to crack the chain I guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The KMC is reusable, but you need to use master-link pliers to safely remove them (regular pliers work, but are less easy to use). For that matter, you might as well use the master-link pliers on the SRAM link, as they are nearly identical.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am currently using a KMC link on both shimano and sram 10 speed chains, both mtb and road. I have never needed any type of pliers to remove the KMC link, squeeze the ends and push together.