mtbr member
    May 2008

10 speed rear derailleur: XTR M980 v. XT M780?

Which would you choose:

1) XTR M980 Rear derailleur for $128 or

2) XT M780 Rear Derailleur for $89

Both are Shadow type, 10 speed, long cage. I have the XTR M980 shifters. The spring on my XT M771-10 rear derailleur broke after 11 months. Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    XT has a bit more capacity according the specs (43 vs 41), If you don't need that, go for XTR

mtbr member
    My first custom bike some years ago was built with a full XTR group set. I wanted the best. After a time as parts wore out or were damaged, I tended to replace with XT components. I now almost only buy XT. It is my contention that the only real advantage with XTR is that it is lighter. This may or may not be important to you at the cost of durability. It is not to me.

Sometimes there is a real functional advantage to an XTR component like multiple up and down shifts with XTR shifters. For that reason I prefer and use XTR.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have an XT M770-10 crank 24/32/42. However, I removed my big ring and put on a bash. I'm running a 36T cassette. Can I use a medium cage rear derailleur?