Crunchatize me Capn'

1 x 9: Chainrings?

First I did a 1x9 search and nothing came up but I know this has probably been covered so forgive me please.

I recently converted from an 8 sp tripe crank setup to a 1x9. To help with chain line issues I ground down some stainless steel washers to take up the indentations where the middle chainring mounts onto the crank arm. I then mounted my large chainring onto the inside of the crank arm where the middle ring goes but pushed out by the washers which equal the middle chainring thickness. I made sure my chain was cut to the correct length. Although it's only happened once during the roughly two weeks since I made the conversion, the chain fell off. I'm wondering if switching to a BMX chainring will help prevent this as I've heard that BMX rings have taller teeth with no ramps or pins. Will it just simply happen anyway as the rear derailleur and chain jump around a bit? It's obviously not that big of a deal but as I only have a 42T ring on the front I'd like to go bigger anyway so if switching to a BMX ring will help I'd like to know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Not having the shifting gates will help a bit. So will using a chain with more chamfering or bellmouth on the inside of the inner plates which acts as a funnel to pick up the teeth and guide them in.

If you do lots of bouncing around on rough trails you might go for a chain retention system or sandwich your chainring between 2 blank discs as is sometimes done for cyclocross.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Like said above, a ring without ramps will help some. Before dropping some money on a chain retention system, look and measure to make sure you have a near ideal chainline. If you are already close, then look to a chainguide or a bash/guide combo.

Trips for Kids Denver
    This has worked flawlessly for me. Sorry for pic #2

Photobucket

I went with a Surly singlespeed front chainring & a Sram red cassette.

Photobucket
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Alright guys so here it is. I converted my bike to a 1x9 yesterday. I have been looking at this thread for a long time and have somewhat narrowed it down to what I want to get as far as chain retention/protection but I still need input. Below is a list of parts I am deciding between/considering. But first here is where I stand.

I like the look of the clean frame without the front derailleur/jumpstop etc.. I also like the simple looks of the "chain sandwich" buy using the blackguard and some form of bashguard. However, I am also a big fan of LIGHTWEIGHT and understand the additional rotational mass with this setup.

Inside:
    N Gear Jumpstop
    Blackspire Blackguard

Outside:
    Blackspire LiteGod?
    Any bashguards are being considered so let me know if there is another one you think I should look at.

Anybody with any experience with these please give me some insight. It may be that the blackguard weight isn't even noticeable. Please provide input! Btw, my chainring is 32t.
    Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trips for Kids Denver
    I believe the sandwich set up is the most reliable for rough riding
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry, I believe I posted in the wrong thread. Meant to post in the 1X9 setup thread. Thanks anyways!

Crunchatize me Capn'
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    Not having the shifting gates will help a bit. So will using a chain with more chamfering or bellmouth on the inside of the inner plates which acts as a funnel to pick up the teeth and guide them in.

If you do lots of bouncing around on rough trails you might go for a chain retention system or sandwich your chainring between 2 blank discs as is sometimes done for cyclocross.
    Sorry, I forgot to mention this was for my commuter. I'll keep in mind the things to watch out for when looking at rings.

Thanks everyone.

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman
    I believe the sandwich set up is the most reliable for rough riding
    I'll second that...

I run the venerable bash sandwich on all my bikes, and my wifes. Everything from trail riding to DH racing, and I have not yet lost a chain.

I keep looking at chain guides for my DH bike because I like the way they look, and wish my chain would jump off just once so I have an excuse to get one

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm thinking about going with the BBG bash guard. I have a question about sizing though. My sprocket is a 32t. Would I want to order a 32 or 34 bash guard?

mtbr member
    You know, I'm running Eno cranks with no bash and an N gear and have never dropped the chain. I love the looks without the bash guard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What kind of riding are you doing? I'm currently in west texas and am stuck with some pretty rough, rocky trails.

it's....
    BMX ring maybe too thick for 9 speed chain.
    SS rings will work though.

mtbr member
    I run a 1x9 with 32 tooth ring and 11-32 in back. I should up to at least 36 just haven't gotten around to it. I do about 15 races a year and all I did was tighten down my front derailluer and remove the shifters. The 32 is even ramped and I've had no issues. I bounce all over the place as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah I'm sure the derailluer would do the trick fine. Just trying to get rid of that look