Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 x 10 and have chain/cassette question

2K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  jollybeggar 
#1 ·
Getting ready to place an order for the XT RD, Cassette, and Shifter. The description on the cassette says "Drivetrain Spacing: Shimano/SRAM 10." Am I right in assuming I can order a SRAM 10 speed chain and it will work properly on the Shimano setup? I spoke to CS at Speedgoat and they recommended sticking with the Shimano chain until they have had more time to see if they are interchangeable. I can't help think it should work, right?? I hate to give up the powerlink option!!

FYI- in case anyone is considering an order, Speedgoat has a sale on the XT 10 speed stuff (cassette and RD) until the 18th. Shifter not on sale, but found it for $86 at Universal and did an instant price match (99 at speedgoat). It literally was instant- wow!! I've never used Speedgoat, so I hope their shipping times are as quick as price match! They must search before adding item and then give it if you enter correctly?? I've never had a price match instantaneously!

#3 ·
I'm running a 1x9 setup currently but am interested in making it a 1x10. I use an XO twist shifter & it doesn't look like the have a 10 speed version yet. I plan to get all SRAM components (including chain) as I have the best shifting bike in my circle of riders with my all SRAM 1x9. Hope they start making twist shifters in 10 speed!

#4 ·
I've always ran Shimano. I really wanted to give the Sram XO or X9 10 speed group a shot, but just didn't have the patience!! I've been wanting to convert to 1x9 for quite awhile. When 10s came about I couldn't resist! Given the expense of the XX bits, I've been writhing in agony waiting for the first affordable 10s to come along. It just happened to be XT.

#5 ·
Coop29 said:
I've always ran Shimano. I really wanted to give the Sram XO or X9 10 speed group a shot, but just didn't have the patience!! I've been wanting to convert to 1x9 for quite awhile. When 10s came about I couldn't resist! Given the expense of the XX bits, I've been writhing in agony waiting for the first affordable 10s to come along. It just happened to be XT.
Jenson has the SLX 10-speed in stock. Significantly lower priced than XT, except for the chain.

#6 ·
shiggy said:
Jenson has the SLX 10-speed in stock. Significantly lower priced than XT, except for the chain.
Thanks for lookin out, but I hit Speedgoat while they had the sale a few days ago

XT Cassette- 86
XT RD- 98
XT Shifter - 86
XT Chain- 37

Coming in at 307, I think I ended up with a decent deal. Just happened onto it at the right time I guess!!

Those 4 comps in SLX would be 275 at Jenson right now.

#7 ·
Sorry to resurrect this. Just wondering if anyone knows the "rules" for mixing 9 and 10 speed stuff. I'd like to go 1x10 on my XC bike, with either an XT or SRAM cassette and SRAM shifting. Do I have to replace my current XO rear derailleur or is replacing the shifter/chain sufficient?

#8 ·
ebarker9 said:
Sorry to resurrect this. Just wondering if anyone knows the "rules" for mixing 9 and 10 speed stuff. I'd like to go 1x10 on my XC bike, with either an XT or SRAM cassette and SRAM shifting. Do I have to replace my current XO rear derailleur or is replacing the shifter/chain sufficient?
The RD must also be replaced.

Many other threads discussing the non-interchangeability of 10-speed

#12 ·
shiggy said:
Probably. There are issues with some chainrings and 9-speed chains, too.
I was more concern with the "required" use of Shimano chains with their drivetrains, and how that could potentially cause issues when running 1x10 on a non-Shimano single chainring. E-thirteen Guide Rings have been reported to be compatible with SRAM 10-speed chains.

I guess more info, and/or issues, will become available and apparent as more riders get 10-speed drivetrain parts on their bike. What fun!

#13 ·
in the trees said:
I was more concern with the "required" use of Shimano chains with their drivetrains, and how that could potentially cause issues when running 1x10 on a non-Shimano single chainring. E-thirteen Guide Rings have been reported to be compatible with SRAM 10-speed chains.

I guess more info, and/or issues, will become available and apparent as more riders get 10-speed drivetrain parts on their bike. What fun!
If the ring is narrow enough for the chain there will be no problems.

Most of Shimano's manipulations are to "improve" shifting.

#15 ·
Hi,

I'm building an Niner MCR as a 1x9 XC bike; sorted the drivetrain, but I'm a little unsure about using a chainguide. I figure you have to use one; if so what's the best option?
I'd like something simple, light and effective for XC; does anything mount to the seat tube in the same place as a front derailleur would?
Any suggestions?:confused:

Thanks!

#16 ·
Keeping the 1X10 issue alive. I read some where that the key components for the conversion were the cassette, chain, and shifter. Supposedly a 9 speed RD will serve to shift because it only does what the shifter tells it too, as long as it has the range to shift from the highest cog to the lowest it will work. Is this true? Can I tune my X.9 RD to cover the 10 speed spread?

#17 ·
jollybeggar said:
Keeping the 1X10 issue alive. I read some where that the key components for the conversion were the cassette, chain, and shifter. Supposedly a 9 speed RD will serve to shift because it only does what the shifter tells it too, as long as it has the range to shift from the highest cog to the lowest it will work. Is this true? Can I tune my X.9 RD to cover the 10 speed spread?
No. Sorry, Jolly. The 10-speed shifters only work with the 10-speed RDs. They changed the parallelogram geometry.

#19 ·
All together now- first trail ride tomorrow!!! Gave it a test ride in the neighborhood today and I don't think I've ever felt shifting this smooth. We'll see how it plays out on the trails tomorrow. Ran full length housing as well- first for me. Fingers crossed!!

Edit: Paul Chain Keeper would not work with my frame. I should have noticed in the first place. We'll see how it goes without it for now

#20 ·
shiggy said:
The RD must also be replaced.
WHY?!

Derailleurs didn't magically shrink the year before shimano introduced their 10 speed mtb cassettes and action tec has been offering 36, 38 and 39T granny cogged 9speed cassettes for several years now. Pretty sure people are using regular 9speed derailleurs with them.

#21 ·
shiggy said:
No. Sorry, Jolly. The 10-speed shifters only work with the 10-speed RDs. They changed the parallelogram geometry.
That may be for SRAM as they changed the ratio from 1:1 to 0.8:1 for ten speed setups, but all shimano 10 speed shifters work with the 9 speed derailleurs. I'm running DuraAce 10speed shifters on XTR and XT 9speed derailleurs. Indexes fine. Shimano's last unusual derailleur geometry was the 7 and 8 speed DuraAce stuff. They're not about to make that mistake again.

#24 ·
DeeEight said:
That may be for SRAM as they changed the ratio from 1:1 to 0.8:1 for ten speed setups, but all shimano 10 speed shifters work with the 9 speed derailleurs. I'm running DuraAce 10speed shifters on XTR and XT 9speed derailleurs. Indexes fine. Shimano's last unusual derailleur geometry was the 7 and 8 speed DuraAce stuff. They're not about to make that mistake again.
BZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Wrong but thanks for playing.

You are behind the times Uppie. This has been discussed here and elsewhere for months.

Shimano 10-speed mtb shifters are not compatible with anything other than the Shimano 10-speed mtb RDs. They even changed the spec of the front shifter and derailleur for the 10-sp mtb group and it not interchangeable either.

#25 ·
DeeEight said:
WHY?!

Derailleurs didn't magically shrink the year before shimano introduced their 10 speed mtb cassettes and action tec has been offering 36, 38 and 39T granny cogged 9speed cassettes for several years now. Pretty sure people are using regular 9speed derailleurs with them.
It is not about cog size

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.