mtbr member
    Jan 2010

09 SX Trail front derailleur

Can anyone tell me what kind and or size of front derailleur I will need for my 09 SX Trail? From looking at the frame it doesn't look like it would take to the normal clamp style too well, the seat tube has a strange shape and what would appear to be extra material to re-inforce the main susp. pivot where it would traditionaly clamp on. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yup...

you'll need a "direct mount" front derailleur. The DMD mounts directly to the rear suspension swing arm. You'll have to shop around a bit to find one, they're not the common yet. But a few manufacturers are starting to spec this type of front d on their long travel AM, Freeride, and DH bikes. I think Universal Cycles has the Shimano SLX DMD available. Others may as well.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgetit
    Can anyone tell me what kind and or size of front derailleur I will need for my 09 SX Trail? From looking at the frame it doesn't look like it would take to the normal clamp style too well, the seat tube has a strange shape and what would appear to be extra material to re-inforce the main susp. pivot where it would traditionaly clamp on. Thanks.
    Specialized uses their own "Direct Mount" design, one of at least 3 direct mount "standards."

The good news is it uses a E-type FD with the BB mounting plate removed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common