mtbr member

'08 XTR Carbon Shadow Rear Derailleur Long RD-M972-SGS - No Go!

Darn, I just bought this XTR Der. to upgrade from the '07 XT M716 and sure enough with my good luck, it doesn't fit on my Banshee Morphine.

Seems that the der. drop bracket(whatever it's called) is way too beefy and won't let the der. fully seat even at full rotation.

This new der. does not have a tension screw that tightens onto the holder where the der. main screw is.

The first pic is of my XT M761-SGS Der which fits because it has the tensioning screw.

The only option I have is to go with the XTR M971 which seems to be made like the XT one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gdl357; 11-22-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    but is you could only fit your previous derailleur with teh screw backed all the way out, you had no way of adjusting it...

it would seem like the hanger might also have a part to play....maybe you could ask Banshee??

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    On my NRS I had skipping and discovered that the derailleur would not adjust far enough with the hanger as-is to allow it closer to the casette per specs. So, I took off the Shadow and broke out a file on the hanger. End of issues. I'd believe you can rework your mount bracket as well to allow it to seat and have proper adjustment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    but is you could only fit your previous derailleur with teh screw backed all the way out, you had no way of adjusting it...

it would seem like the hanger might also have a part to play....maybe you could ask Banshee??
    Nah, I am the one that backed it out for pic purpose. I installed the der with the screw fully screwed in for maximum tension last year and it worked good.

There is something wrong with the new shadow der.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looks like may be an RTFM issue here. You are attempting to tighten it up without rotating so the lug is in contact with the step on the hanger. I don't know if this is your problem but there is a note in with the derailleur documentation that covers this.

In contrast to the old style derailleur, the bit that is bolted to the hanger is static with the shadow design. I can't see anything on the hanger to suggest that it won't work properly. It might be that your pictures aren't clear in showing the problem. Just commenting on what I'm seeing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I believe the pics are showing that the derailleur hits the top mounting plate portion of the hanger before it can rotate enough for it's pin to set against the step on the hanger. If this is the case, you will have to modify the hanger as IAmtnbikr suggests.

There is nothing wrong with the Shadow...it is just different and doesn't seem to work well with all setups. On my GF HiFi, I modified the hanger to allow for better chain wrap on the cassette.

I would buy an extra hanger before I modified the original (in case it doesn't work out as planned).