mtbr member
    May 2008

08 xt crankset-help unscrewing big ring

i just got an 08 xt crankset and want to put on my bashguard, however i cant unscrew the big ring. i have the proper size torx wrench and have tried unscrewing it by hand counterclockwise with no luck. it is starting to strip the threads so i have stopped. can anyone help? what would a lbs do if i took it to them(i just want to know so i can do it myself). i have the screwdriver type torx.

mtbr member
    Im not familiar with the XT crank but maybe you need one of these: http://www.parktool.com/products/det...6&item=CNW%2D2
    to hold the other side of the chainring.

local trails rider
    There is a bolt and a nut there. So you probably need the Chainring Nut Wrench. Shimano and others make them.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/te...9830621041.pdf

I don't use a screwdriver type torx except to thread the bolts in during installation, before using a ratchet/torque wrench, and wouldn't try to remove them with one. If you're getting enough resistance to feel like the threads are stripping maybe you don't need the wrench the other guys mention for the back of the bolt, but it's a good idea to have one handy.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just had a heck of a time unscrewing the bolts on my XTR crank. Shimano used industrial strength loctite on soft aluminum bolts. If you strip out the heads, you should be able to carefully cut away the bolts with a dremel. You'll need to pick up some new chainring bolts at your LBS for a few bucks.

EDR
    I put a bash on my '08 xt crankset early in the year. I didn't use or need the nut wrench, just a torx bit on a ratchet. I don't remember there being any thread locker on the bolts. Maybe Shimano is doing that now, and seemingly going a bit overboard. Try using a ratchet and get some heavy pressure on the screw. Other than drilling it out and replacing the screws that's my only advice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Maybe some WD40 or PB Blaster sprayed on would loosen the loctite...?

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I put a bash on my '08 xt crankset early in the year. I didn't use or need the nut wrench, just a torx bit on a ratchet.
    What size torx bit is it...T30? The reason I ask is because I'm looking to do the same thing and the T30 I've got seems to have a lot of play inside the bolt head. And a T40 is too big. Is there a torx size in between T30 and T40? TIA.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    What size torx bit is it...T30? The reason I ask is because I'm looking to do the same thing and the T30 I've got seems to have a lot of play inside the bolt head. And a T40 is too big. Is there a torx size in between T30 and T40? TIA.
    T35? I honestly don't remember what size it was. I'll see if I can go check.

EDIT: It's a T30, at least mine is. You need a new bit or the heads are a little stripped.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 07-28-2008 at 05:36 PM.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    T35? I honestly don't remember what size it was. I'll see if I can go check.

EDIT: It's a T30, at least mine is. You need a new bit or the heads are a little stripped.
    Thanks for the info. Both the bit & wrench, cranks and crankbolts are brand new, just-out-of-the-box and never been touched (other than to see what size fits). In fact, I tried two different T30 heads, one bit and one wrench (both brand new). The wrench seemed "looser", perhaps it was a bit more off specification than the bit. I'll just have to be real careful when I loosen the bolts.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Thanks for the info. Both the bit & wrench, cranks and crankbolts are brand new, just-out-of-the-box and never been touched (other than to see what size fits). In fact, I tried two different T30 heads, one bit and one wrench (both brand new). The wrench seemed "looser", perhaps it was a bit more off specification than the bit. I'll just have to be real careful when I loosen the bolts.
    good luck. I don't remember mine being hard at all to loosen.