mtbr member
    Aug 2005

'05 BB7 Road vs '09 BB7 MTB

I have a set of the silver 05 era BB7 Road brakes on a bike and I thought they were great. Then on the new bike comes the 09 era BB7 MTB ones. The 09's have the slots in the rotor going the opposite from the 05. The newer ones out perform the older ones bigtime. Maybe tighter return spring?

Any hoo, I was going to tear down the older bike and wrench/rebuild and was going to get new pads, rotors etc. But should I just pony up the bucks for the all together newer design black ones and be done with it. After rebuilding the older ones will they still not perform as well as the 09's?

Meh.
    Are you using the proper lever with the BB7 Roads? They use a shorter pull. They're designed for road levers. They can also be used with BMX levers. Are the pads glazed, contaminated, or worn out? Are the rotors in good shape? How's the housing?

The older BB7s are a bit lighter than the new ones. The new calipers are a 2-piece construction that is bolted together. The knobs are a little easier to work with (though I've never had a problem). And as you've noticed, they switched the Cleansweep rotors to the Cleansweep G2 rotors. This was to alleviate some howling issues (more prevalent with the Juicy brakes).