gran jefe
    Nov 2011

$5 Bash for a Triple

My bike originally came with a fragile plastic chainring-guard. It broke pretty quickly and was never very good at keeping the big ring from ripping my leg open anyway, and certainly didn't help my ring slide over big logs.

I decided wanted to replace it, but I didn't want to get rid of the big ring. So I made this.

It's a PVC ring that has something to do with mounting toilets. I cut it and heat molded it with some boiling water to increase its diameter to be a bit bigger than my big ring. Then I mounted it to my big ring using the existing holes, although if I had not had holes, it wouldn't be a big deal to drill them.

Sure, I could have bought a bash from someone, but it was fun to make my own. 3 bucks for the ring, 2 for the screws and nuts and washers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails  Bash for a Triple-536165_10150988078903554_569478553_11861116_441171504_n.jpg  

Bash for a Triple-544748_10150988079208554_569478553_11861121_1991290567_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    My bike originally came with a fragile plastic chainring-guard. It broke pretty quickly and was never very good at keeping the big ring from ripping my leg open anyway, and certainly didn't help my ring slide over big logs.

I decided wanted to replace it, but I didn't want to get rid of the big ring. So I made this.

It's a PVC ring that has something to do with mounting toilets. I cut it and heat molded it with some boiling water to increase its diameter to be a bit bigger than my big ring. Then I mounted it to my big ring using the existing holes, although if I had not had holes, it wouldn't be a big deal to drill them.

Sure, I could have bought a bash from someone, but it was fun to make my own. 3 bucks for the ring, 2 for the screws and nuts and washers.
    I don't see this PVC holding up too well either to abuse.

Rub it............
    First good whack on something hard like a log or rock, that thing is going to splinter.

And besides, those cheap plastic guards are usually screwed onto a crank that uses rivets to attach the chain rings together.

Easier to replace the crank with chain rings that are replaceable.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    Easier to replace the crank with chain rings that are replaceable.
    Good point. Send one over, along with a matching bottom bracket, and I'll put it right on.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    thanks. I hope it is strong enough to do the job. tried it out today, and no breakage yet.

next time you go to home depot, buy one of these rings, and check out how tough it is. i hope that you will be surprised.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    I don't see this PVC holding up too well either to abuse.
    and it looks awful IMHO.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Hadn't heard from anybody for so long I thought maybe the thread had gotten locked. Thanks for clearing that up.