mtbr member
    Apr 2009

You Ever Dh A Stingray?

About 30 years ago we used to suffer our way up a 2 mile downhill, jump on our banana seat bikes and rage! One time I missed my line and my bike flew into an 8 foot wide open ditch.I landed on the other side as smooth as butter !

mtbr member
    errrr is it me or is there a distant lacking in a point to this thread?

*insert picture "this tread is useless with out pictures"*
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Is it just me or is there a 16 year old kid telling a dude who helped start the sport of DH whats what? I hate kids.

Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frikka
    About 30 years ago we used to suffer our way up a 2 mile downhill, jump on our banana seat bikes and rage! One time I missed my line and my bike flew into an 8 foot wide open ditch.I landed on the other side as smooth as butter !
    I just rode my first downhill trail on my full rigid bike. I had no idea downhill trails were that fast, I just pounded through it. I need to get more flowy on it though.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

Glad to Be Alive
    oh Schwinn StingRay......I remember those.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    You bet. Didn't we all start that way? Oh wait....... I forgot most of you aren't old like me.

Me and my buddy used to push the old Sting Rays up the tank hill behind my house and bomb down at "warp" speed. I even put an old set of moto bars on it for that Roger DeCoster/Bob "Hurricane" Hannah look. We were sooo cool..... but we didn't have cameras, or cell phones, or iPods, or anything to record our heroics so you'll just have to take our word for it.

Wait I think I may have a picture of Tom E. Clark at my birthday party with a huge scab on his face from an epic crash on one of our many DH runs. Does that count?

Dang, I'm really aging myself now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey zadey If you aren't bunny hopping over the obstacles yet,try it.You won't belive how you can smooth out a rough trail.My ss weigh about 24 lbs so it's surprising how a hop at 30 mph can get you some mean distance.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Frikka, I assume you've seen "Joe kid on a Stingray?" It's more about BMX's beginnings, but an awesome film. Go look for it...

I was asking my boss the other day if he was ready to part with his vintage 1972 Orange Crate. (This thing has all the options; rear disk, 5 speed with suicide shifter, springer fork with drum brake and bannana seat shocks.)

Quote Originally Posted by William42
    Is it just me or is there a 16 year old kid telling a dude who helped start the sport of DH whats what? I hate kids.
    Gee Will, you're making me feel old... What's the saying? "Don't Pinkbike my MTBR."
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008

"If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey uncle I never heard of that movie.I just googled it.I had no idea that stuff was going on!I love to connect a name to a face.I never knew haro was a persons name.I bought clunkers a while back and watched it a few times.Very eye opening.