Your retarded

X-Post: Where to buy a Devinci Frantik 2?

I'm in the US which makes getting Devinci's very difficult. Supposedly, the Horst link Canadian Devinci's are impossible to get in the US, but I know of a few exceptions that have slipped through the cracks and made their way onto US soil. Unfortunately, I don't know who's selling those. Can anyone recommend a brick and mortar shop or online retailer that sells Devinci... preferably the Canadian models with the Horst link? Any Canadian shops that would be willing to ship to the US?

The original thread can be found here.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I'm in the US which makes getting Devinci's very difficult. Supposedly, the Horst link Canadian Devinci's are impossible to get in the US, but I know of a few exceptions that have slipped through the cracks and made their way onto US soil. Unfortunately, I don't know who's selling those. Can anyone recommend a brick and mortar shop or online retailer that sells Devinci... preferably the Canadian models with the Horst link? Any Canadian shops that would be willing to ship to the US?

The original thread can be found here.
    Nickle,

Talk to the guys at Poison Spider in Moab. I know most of the shop guys have ridden the Wilsons for a couple of years and I've "heard" that if you request one, they can might be able to get a canadian version for you.

BTW, there's a review of that exact bike on nsmb right now. It was only so-so for the reviewer. I was kinda surprised.

Cheers,
    EB

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Talk to the guys at Poison Spider in Moab. I know most of the shop guys have ridden the Wilsons for a couple of years and I've "heard" that if you request one, they can might be able to get a canadian version for you.
    I beat ya to it, actually. Like many folks who are shopping for bikes, I like having options of where to buy something. I've dealt with PS earlier this year when I broke the Preston my first day in Moab. My experience with them did not make me want to come back for more. I'd almost rather find a Canadian shop to order from.

BTW, there's a review of that exact bike on nsmb right now. It was only so-so for the reviewer. I was kinda surprised.
    Really? I'm off to go read that. Thanks for the input. I rode an Ollie last weekend at keystone and was very impressed. Judging by what I felt while on the Ollie and the geometry on paper, I assumed the Frantik would be a worthy option for an aggressive trail bike/Preston replacement.
    http://www.nsmb.com/gear/devinci_frantik_08_07.php
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Your retarded
    ebxtreme, I read through the article and it confirmed a couple fears of mine, but in turn, made up a decision for me.

I was worried about weight and component spec on the Frantik II. Reading this confirmed that those worries are accurate, but made me decide to buy a frame and build that, not a complete. 41 lbs for what I have in mind is too much weight. After seeing the DareDevil components firsthand last weekend, I'm sure a good portion of that weight is wrapped up in those components in addition to other components on the Frantik II's.

The wheelbase was also a bit of a concern, but I'm a big guy and not as worried about it. My bike has to be somewhat proportional to my body size and weight and this one should be in that range.

Just roll it......
    ebxtreme, I read through the article and it confirmed a couple fears of mine, but in turn, made up a decision for me.

I was worried about weight and component spec on the Frantik II. Reading this confirmed that those worries are accurate, but made me decide to buy a frame and build that, not a complete. 41 lbs for what I have in mind is too much weight. After seeing the DareDevil components firsthand last weekend, I'm sure a good portion of that weight is wrapped up in those components in addition to other components on the Frantik II's.

The wheelbase was also a bit of a concern, but I'm a big guy and not as worried about it. My bike has to be somewhat proportional to my body size and weight and this one should be in that range.
    All good points. The Daredevil components (devinci's house brand) are crap and heavy and you could probably shave a good deal of weight on that bike with the right spec. There's a ton of folks riding Devinci's up here in Whistler and they see tons of abuse.

FYI, I rode with Dave and Joel from GJ on their preston's this week. Both found cracks in the HT after about 1 week of BC riding. They rolled down to Ferndale and the Transition boys set them up with new front triangles (pulled complete bikes apart and helped them reassemble theirs) and they were back up in Whistler a day later. Pretty cool.

Cheers,
    EB

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Selling the Preston are we? What about Norco or Cove?
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

Your retarded
    FYI, I rode with Dave and Joel from GJ on their preston's this week. Both found cracks in the HT after about 1 week of BC riding. They rolled down to Ferndale and the Transition boys set them up with new front triangles (pulled complete bikes apart and helped them reassemble theirs) and they were back up in Whistler a day later. Pretty cool.
    I have only good things to say about the support I received from Transition. When I broke the chainstay on the Preston, I called them up that afternoon and had a new rolling my way the next business day. In fact, they sent out the seat stay too so I could upgrade the rear end to the 2006.5 stuff instead of the 2006.0. It's not that I dislike the Preston, it's just that my needs are exceeding the bike both in terms of travel and geometry. Plus, Transitions fit small whereas Devinci's fit large. I certainly wouldn't mind the bigger bike of the Devinci. We'll see, as there are a lot of options on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by ban'd4life
    Selling the Preston are we? What about Norco or Cove?
    Eventually. It'll last me until the end of this season, but then it'll be time for an upgrade. Norco doesn't really offer anything that excites me and Cove is distant on my list. Fortunately, "the list in long and distinguished." I have Err to thank for being the welth of bike knowledge that helped guide me to what I need. I think he earned me as a loyal customer. I know I owe him that for all his time.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    snif, snif... Do I smell Nicolai?
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Hey Nickle, still weeding through my emails since being on vacation. Saw your note on the Devinci. I'd think your best bet if you really want one is to swing north of the border and grab one up there. I do have one contact up there that might be of some help, not certain though.

Spam: My Helius-ST with the CCDB is up for sale now that I'm back from Whistler. Makes even my sorry @ss capable of hitting a jump or two :-) $1200 including the king steel set.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Hey Nickle, still weeding through my emails since being on vacation. Saw your note on the Devinci. I'd think your best bet if you really want one is to swing north of the border and grab one up there. I do have one contact up there that might be of some help, not certain though.

Spam: My Helius-ST with the CCDB is up for sale now that I'm back from Whistler. Makes even my sorry @ss capable of hitting a jump or two :-) $1200 including the king steel set.
    No worries about the emails. I figured you have a lot to sort through. How was the trip anyway? I saw your one thread on it.

If I remember correctly, your Helius-ST is too small for me. What size is it anyway?

ban'd, yes, that's one of the manufacturers at the top of the list.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    No worries about the emails. I figured you have a lot to sort through. How was the trip anyway? I saw your one thread on it.

If I remember correctly, your Helius-ST is too small for me. What size is it anyway?

ban'd, yes, that's one of the manufacturers at the top of the list.
    The trip was awesome. Only vid of Woodlot this time. Kinda weird but never really pulled the cam out much. Pissed I didn't have M get a shot of me hitting the new wood booter on Dirt Merchant, freakin' sweet line.

The Helius-ST is a Medium. I'm 5'8" and it's big enough for me to do a fair bit of climbing on, done close to 3000' of pedaling up in a day on it.

ETT is 23.2"
    ST is 17"

Your retarded
    The trip was awesome. Only vid of Woodlot this time. Kinda weird but never really pulled the cam out much. Pissed I didn't have M get a shot of me hitting the new wood booter on Dirt Merchant, freakin' sweet line.
    That's how you know the trail was good - when you are so into the riding, you forget you are even carrying a camera.

The Helius-ST is a Medium. I'm 5'8" and it's big enough for me to do a fair bit of climbing on, done close to 3000' of pedaling up in a day on it.

ETT is 23.2"
    ST is 17"
    Yeah, that's too small for me. I'd need a large for sure.