Downhill fan

WTB Weirwolf tires 2 ply?

I have a WTB Weirwolf 2.5 55/62 (front w/ DNA rubber compound) and a Weirwolf 2.55 LT 58/55(rear w/ DNA rubber compound). Are these a 2 ply tire? They feel much lighter then my Nevegals (which I know are a heavy tire). I want to try them out just looking for some feedback first. Reviews seem good but will they be good for DH/FR? Thanx for any help and advice!
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

perpetual pucker factor
    Not sure about the ply count, but the Weirwolf is a good all around front tire. It is very predictable and the side lugs do tend to grip well on a lot of terrain. The problem with dh/fr will be with the LT rear tire. It will roll well since it is a low tread tire, but when things get steep, you will most likely have trouble braking. The knobs just aren't big enough to bite into the dirt, especially if it is loose over hardpack.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Downhill fan
    The key here is to go faster. They will be used on DH trails but mostly FR type trails. I figure since they weigh almost half of what my Nevegals weigh, a super grippy front tire w/ a low tread (LT) on the rear would lighten the rolling mass a little and help me add a little speed to my rides. Only thing I wonder is if they are ok to use them for what I need them for?
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

usually cranky
    they arnt 2 ply but you might have the tcs versions with are pretty tough.

Downhill fan
    Thanx for answering my question bro. How can I tell if they are the TCS version? I don't believe they say TCS anywhere on the tires. Ok for DH/FR use?
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

perpetual pucker factor
    It would say so on the sidewall if it were tcs (tubeless compatible system or something like that). So yours probably isn't, but not to worry. Even if it is single wall, you should be just fine. Just check your tire pressure often and make sure it is high enough that it won't collapse too much when landing off jumps or drops. Green lights all the way
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If they weight half the amount of your Nevegals then they aren't dual plys. While they may be lighter then Nevegals, they're definitely nowhere near that much lighter. I have a set I loan to friends on trips who don't have DH tires with them. They're OK, not a ton of cornering grip but fairly predictable, however as stated above they don't brake well.