mtbr member

WTB Prowler MX vs Minion

Anybody have experience with both? Just got a super cheap Prowler on chainlove and wondered how it performed versus my trusty Minion DHF? Both in 2.5, I love the squareness of the Minion and how it corners, wondering if the Prowler is similar. Rode a Nevegal after about 2 years on Minions and they seem to be more round and prone to wash out in flat, high speed corners. Thanks is advance!

3 "fiddy" for short
    Maxxis tires run on the small side, so the WTB will be a little bigger. Having said that I haven't found a tire that is a predictable as the Minion....period. Just as you described, the Minion is well planted on just about every surface. Mud excluded..they are not all that great there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    Maxxis tires run on the small side, so the WTB will be a little bigger. Having said that I haven't found a tire that is a predictable as the Minion....period. Just as you described, the Minion is well planted on just about every surface. Mud excluded..they are not all that great there!

i love my minions in mud they havent let me down at all yet but no experience with the wtb
    keep the rubber side down!!

AKA shitbird
    I ran a Prowler MX UST rear tire on my 6" bike.I was concerned because the sidewalls seemed a little thin... then it happened to tear badly on the first ride on a trail that I'm really familiar with. It's rocky and has killed tires in the past but usually thats after the tires are pretty worn or I hit a sharp edged rock the wrong way. Don't think I hit anything very hard this time though....

If they make a true dual ply casing I'd try it again...
    JRA

mtbr member
    I've ran minions for years and prowlers at the end of last season beacuse they were so cheap. I found the prowlers grip to be just as good as the minions (I only rode them in dry conditions). I was running them tubeless with 823's and sealant. Where they sucked is that the rear tire flatted with a knob tear that the saelant couldnt seal. I put another new one on the next weekend, and same thing. First day, unsealable tear. I've never flatted with this setup with maxxis. So to answer your question, if you are using tubes they are great. Tubeless, not so much.

I'm with stupid
    I have run both and found that to prowler surprised me on how predictable it was in the dry. Bike felt well planted at any lean angle and when started to drift it felt very stable. Prowler did much better on flatter corners with loose over hard then the minion did cause the minion would just drift then either wash or grip all of a sudden. The prowler also will handle change in the corner while turning. Ie start off on hard pack and then dump into some loose in the apex of the corner it will just roll on threw and push just a bit but not scary, unlike what i found with the minion that will dig and knife edge and try to make the turn MUCH tighter that has made me hit a tree and highside the bike on another. For all out throwing a bike into a berm and riding hard the minion will win in over all corner grip but if you are not sporting great cornering skills the prowler will feel much more trust worthy on flat corners or falling away corners. I have not had a issue with tearing on mine i have the team dh version and the race version and have not had issues. To add a note the tread on the 2.5 version in slightly different then the 2.3 or 2.1. They are also sensitive to air pressure so you will have to play around with that to find sweet spot. good luck after a few rides post up what you think.

"No Clue Crew"
    Jenson has closeout prices right now on Dual ply rear Minions at $16.99.

I'm with stupid
    That works if your looking for a non sticky 2.7 rear tire its a steal

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I bought the same tire as you off chainlove. Threw it on right before a ride on San Juan trail in south oc. I washed out four times in 11 miles. Every time it happened was on hard and loose trail, but my worn out specialized somethinoranother was better. I am really confused, a lot of people like the tire and looks like it is a good front. I was running it at 28 psi, after the first down I dropped it to 25psi, then to 20psi.

I havent given up yet, but I am tired of sliding for home plate.