Blindside/v5 & Nomad/C

New question here. WTB Laser V Stealth saddle - sagging/drooping/deforming sides?

Are there any folks here with WTB Laser V Stealth saddles (or any WTB saddles) noticing that the sides of your saddle is sagging & drooping down?

I've had this very comfortable saddle for 10 months now (about 1K miles), and just noticed that its sides are drooping down. Well, I'm actually not sure if it's the sides that are deforming, or the rails that are deforming to make the saddle sorta "squat" down lower. (It's hard to explain, so I made up some pic's, as below.) How I noticed this is that I can no longer see its rails by looking at it from its side. Just to be sure, I went to LBS to look at a brandnew one, and the rails are clearly visible from the side.

The rails on my saddle don't really look bent/kinked (though I'm not sure), so maybe the plastic under-shell(?) got warped/deforming or something? The funny thing is that I'm only 150lbs and the saddle hasn't hit the ground or I haven't slipped off my pedal to hit it hard with my butt or anything. (In comparison, my previous Terry Fly or Selle Italia Flite Gel-Flow Ti saddles never got deformed at least, even though they were not as comfortable.)

Interestingly, this actually happened to a friend of mine earlier, too, and his was even newer. His sagged more on one side than the other, so sitting on it unevenly was so uncomfortable that he quickly retired it. Luckily, mine sagged kinda evenly on both sides, so I can still sit on it (now with a bit of lower-back pain when climbing because of this?). Also, my seatpost has a vertical seat-clamp bolt, so I can still access it freely, while my friend had a horizontal seat-clamp bolt on his seatpost, so the drooping side totally hindered any wrench access to the bolt.

Anyway, I'm just checking to see if this is somewhat-commonly seen by others as well, or I just had one from a bad batch or something.

Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PiroChu; 03-01-2006 at 11:19 AM.

mtbr member

i've made

upside down horshshoes out of some seats
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    Just checked mine, it looks fine. Sorry.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

ride hard take risks
    Possibly the Ti reai is bending, hole for seat rail damaged or seat base malformed. Call WTB or email them the concern, they have a excelent warranty program.
    http://www.wtb.com/products/contact.cfm

Blindside/v5 & Nomad/C
    dogonfr, thanks for your input. Tarekit, thanks for checking yours.

I'm also guessing that it's the seat base malforming, as the Ti rails look straight and the rail holes look undamaged (no whitened plastic from bulging pressure, etc).

(EDIT: After taking it off & looking straight at its underside, maybe the rails seem slightly out of shape a bit after all...)

I actually called WTB yesterday, and it was hard to describe it over the phone. The helpful person there told me to send it in so that it can be taken a look at, but he didn't really mention as to what would be the possible outcomes. I wanted to ask here a bit before I send it in, because I don't know if it'd be simply considered as regular wear/tear.

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 02-28-2006 at 09:22 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Throw your bike on the rack, drive over, get the replacement seat then go ride China Camp. Hit up 4th street in San Rafael right under the freeway across from Trips for Kids get a huge buritto & beer then home you go.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Tarekit - thanks for checking yours.

dogonfr - thanks for your input.

I'm also guessing that it's the seat base malforming, as the Ti rails look straight and the rail holes look undamaged (no whitened plastic from bulging pressure, etc).

I actually called WTB yesterday, and it was hard to describe it over the phone. The helpful person there told me to send it in so that it can be taken a look at, but he didn't really mention as to what would be the possible outcomes. I wanted to ask here before I send it in, because I have no idea of any possible "options/choices" out of this transaction.

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    It is all those drops your doing on the Saber... mine isn't doing it, as well as three others my friends ride. I think WTB might take care of you. How heavy are you and how many miles are on it?

bg.
    mtbr member
    I can think of tons of little problems I'd like to fix on my bike before I worry about droopy saddles.

If it's comfortable, keep riding it. Some of those seats came crooked from the factory. I've got one that I've used for 3 years. Buying a new one garantees that on the next ride you'll crash and rip it.

whatever she says gueuze.

Yep

I bought a Power-V ti saddle and one side started to bend down. The rails looked fine but the saddle was lower on one side. I didn't fall or do anything harsh on the saddle. Going down, I didn't notice it as much but on climbs, I felt it in my back. Wasted $95. So far my current Laser-V ti hasn't had problems....yet.

Living the Dream

Yep.

Are there any folks here with WTB Laser V Stealth saddles (or any WTB saddles) noticing that the sides of your saddle is sagging & drooping down?
    I have been running WTBs for the last 3 years. I have had excellent luck with Power V TI DH, Laser V DH, and the Speed V Chromo; However my Laser V Stealth has been a POS. The saddle warped within 5 months and squeks like a MOFO now. I think I am gonna try and warranty mine. Thanks for posting this, I though I had a dud.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Flyin Canine
    All of my laser v-stealths have sagged/drooped on the left side. I would say it's a good idea to get it warrantied instead of keeping riding on it as it could mess up your hip or knee joints to put lots of miles on a bike seat that's crooked.

Blindside/v5 & Nomad/C

New question here.

For those of who have multiple Laser V Stealth saddles... Could you tell whether or not WTB consistantly "stamps" the "increment/indicator" on the rails (pic below, not of Laser model) at exactly the very same spot for all of their Laser V Stealth saddles?

I just picked up a brandnew one now (exchanged at a local store), and I noticed that - when anchoring it per the "increment/indicator" on the rail, the distance between the saddle and a (random) point on a stem that I had noted is now roughly 5mm shorter than with my old one (just before I dismounted it). I'm not sure if it's the "stamping" on the rails that's inconsistant, or if it's because the measurement I took of the busted old saddle was 'off' per deforming.

Thanks for your further feedback,
    - PiroChu
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blindside/v5 & Nomad/C

New question here. Is it just the Ti-rail vs Cromo-rail thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    I have had excellent luck with Power V TI DH, Laser V DH, and the Speed V Chromo; However my Laser V Stealth has been a POS. The saddle warped within 5 months and squeks like a MOFO now.
    To update, unforutnately my 2nd WTB Laser V Stealth saddle (Ti rails, 240g) - with just several winter rides without a crash - is starting to droop down (& maybe a bit to the right), most likely due to the Ti rails being slightly bent again. I'm only 150lbs, and do not do any "no-footers" (ie. missing the pedals and slam my butt against the saddle to damage it, etc), either. I still really like its shape/profile for the climbing comfort. And I know both WTB and a local REI store is great for after-service, but I can't imagine to keep frequenting them so often.

So, should I just buy a cheaper WTB saddle that has Cromo rails? I see that Performance is having good prices on some, like WTB Speed V Race (w/ cromo rails, +100g). Should I even consider WTB Power V DH Race (w/ 8mm Cromo rails, longer nose, +200g), or would that be a total overkill for me? On the side note, am I correct in that the former has some helpful position-markings printed on the rails, while the latter doesn't? Also, what's the difference between "Cromo" vs "Steel"?

Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 04-10-2006 at 04:30 PM.

customized
    Sep 2003
    My 2nd Stealth (with just several winter rides, no crashes) is starting to droop down (and a bit to the right, maybe), due to probably the Ti rails being slightly bent again. I'm only 150lbs, and do not do any "no-footers" (ie. missing the pedals and slam my butt against the saddle to damage it, etc), either.

Still really like its shape/profile for the climbing comfort. I'm sure WTB and local REI is great for after-service, but I can't imagine to keep frequenting so often. Should I just buy a cheaper WTB saddle (ie. Speed series) that has Cromo rails? I see that Performance is having some good prices on Speed V Race. Should I even consider Power V DH Race, or would that be a total over-kill for me? On the side note, am I correct in that the former has some helpful position-marking printed on the rails, while the latter doesn't?

Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    If you don't mind the added weight, I would pick up a Chromo railed WTB saddle. They are cheap enough to at least try. See if you can stick with the design you like though. There are chromo saddles of every style out there.

ride hard take risks
    My 2nd Stealth (with just several winter rides, no crashes) is starting to droop down (and a bit to the right, maybe), due to probably the Ti rails being slightly bent again. I'm only 150lbs, and do not do any "no-footers" (ie. missing the pedals and slam my butt against the saddle to damage it, etc), either.

Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    Call WTB they have excelent warranty but if you talk to a person it is more effective than going through a dealer. If you explain the problem they will help & if they suggest a CroMo they will swap it & possibly hook you up with something to make up the difference.

415 389-5040

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

WTB Saddles

Your rails might be bent, but WTB saddles seem to break down more than other brands. Not the rails but the padding and shell material. I noticed this when I spent several seasons racing on a team sponsored by WTB. The saddle starts out fairly flat, after a few months it is noticably more concave and saggy.

I love the saddles because they are comfortable, but they do wear pretty quickly in my opinion.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    So, should I just buy a cheaper WTB saddle that has Cromo rails?
    Yes. I owned two Laser Vs and absolutely loved them, until I bent the rails on both. I then got a Speed V with CroMo rails and it's been much better. Same shape and fit, but stronger rails. FYI, I'm 225 lbs.

not really a noob
    Power V's are the best saddles in the world ( i tihnk)
    [SIZE=1]I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    i love my WTB pure saddle, no problems

mtbr member
    PiroChu,

CrMo: Steel that has been alloyed with small amounts of Chromium and Molybdenum.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    I've broken/bent 4 ti railed saddles. I've only broken one cro-mo railed saddle, but my bike frame also broke on that crash (cased a gap drop thingy). For feather weighters riding smooth xc ti is probably ok, but one of them broke just landing butt-heavy after bunny hopping a 5" log. WTB always warrantied them, which was a plus.

I actually like WTB's ti saddles better, they seem to have better foam in them and the cover lasts longer. I wish they made their high-end stuff with a cro-mo rail option, but when you go down to cro-mo you get cheap foam and chintzy cover. But I'm still sticking with WTB - they feel great.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

Blindside/v5 & Nomad/C

We the people ... WTB Power V DH Race saddle = 379g

Just to update...

Got the WTB Power V DH Race saddle delivered from Performance yesterday. On my digital scale, it came up to be 379g, not the 440g posted online (WTB site, online store sites). I know it was a close-out ('04 or '05?), but it looks just like '06 pic on WTB site. Cool...

Nice (bigger) size, fat 8mm cromo rails, tough-texture kevlar surface, etc. Nice...

One thing I noticed, though is that - just like somebody posted above - that its 'quality' of stapling/stiching the "cover" onto the "frame" isn't as nice as those higher-end/Ti-railed saddles. The stapling (not stiching) is a bit further apart, and inbetween is the cover material bunched up pretty poorly/badly. Cosmetically, I don't care (why look/stare saddle underside), but I really hope that the cover stays on there for a long while.

I'll go out for a test ride this weekend.

Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 04-20-2006 at 02:44 PM.