mtbr member

World cup riders wear body armor?

Anyone know if the pros wear any torso/chest armor? They don't look like they wear much, but even the knee pads seem hidden and low profile. Curious what models they may sport.

May The Force Be With You

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Appears a bunch of guys wear upper body armour. Loris and Moir look to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    body armor required to compete
    On Sat. at the World Cup DH the officals kicked one rider out of the start hut because he was wearing his Back Protector improperly. He'd taped it to the inside of his shirt. Riders want to show their sponsers names, so it looks like they're only wearing loose fitting gear.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    body armor required to compete
    On Sat. at the World Cup DH the officals kicked one rider out of the start hut because he was wearing his Back Protector improperly. He'd taped it to the inside of his shirt. Riders want to show their sponsers names, so it looks like they're only wearing loose fitting gear.
    Back protection was required at that venue, but AFAIK it's not a series-wide requirement. I think it's crap that he was allowed to qualify that way, but not race.

Per UCI rules, their kits can only be so tight. You have to be able to pinch a minimum of 3" of fabric, IIRC. Most racers with the support to do it have their kits tailored right to that line.

It's harder to see what kind of protection racers wear now since it's gotten better and slimmer. Old-school hockey style pads were a lot easier to see under jerseys. In general, I think they wear less than the average racer did 10+ years ago. Most recreational riders do, too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies View Post
    Anyone know if the pros wear any torso/chest armor
    UCI rules do not require the wearing of a chest protector/spine guard for Downhill racing.

However.

The UCI rules also state that if local laws require the use of chest protector or spine guard then all riders must comply.

Any event in Europe requires the use a spine gaurd, it's the law for a Downhill Mountain bike race that Helmet, kneepads and spine protector must be worn and venues can't be insured without complying. Races in the US often do not, but some do, so read up before you enter. Racing in France also requires that you wear gloves.

Neko Mullaly got disqualified this weekend for trying to use a carboard 'back protector' taped to his jersey, which the commissaires noticed. He is not the first rider to try this, he is also not the first rider to get caught and disqualified (Rob Warner was famously DSQ'd in France many, many years ago, the same day France won the Football World Cup).

Riders generally wear what their sponsors give them, Mullaly is sponsored by 7iDP and has no excuse not to be wearing the gear they pay him to.

Alpinestars, Dainese, POC, Fox, Bluegrass Eagle and 661 all make body armour that meets the rules, I have a Dainese one because it fits me. If new is too expensive second hand ones can be had for cheap, but you might want to wash them first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Back protection was required at that venue, but AFAIK it's not a series-wide requirement. I think it's crap that he was allowed to qualify that way, but not race.
    Commissaires don't check every rider before every run during practice, it's random. On race day they check every rider's gear while he/she is queuing for their start slot.

Information seems to be conflicting. Neko appears to be claiming he was using the cardboard piece all week without issue. Others have said he was wearing his proper gear during practice and qualies. Either way, this is a really silly reason to get disqualified, anyone who's raced downhill here in Europe knows you need a back protector and it has to be a proper one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    As if the official requirement isn't enough, the rock garden would convince me! How about that crash at the finish jump in Fort William? The rider rag-dolled, without protection his injuries could have been worse.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm amazed how little protection some of these guys choose to wear. Something taped to the back of your jersey is definitely not proper back protection. Last season Ratboy was wearing a MX roost guard which is not proper back protection either. There definitely should be a standard if there isn't one already.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Either way, this is a really silly reason to get disqualified, anyone who's raced downhill here in Europe knows you need a back protector and it has to be a proper one.
    obviously he knows about the requirement, otherwise he wouldn't have the piece of cardboard - that was there trying to fool the check.

If I were his sponsor, I'd be asking myself what I was paying him for. Obviously it's not results or even to race since he's willing to DQ himself over basic equipment requirements.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

There are standards in Europe, it's all covered by the Europe wide Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) laws that came in in 1992. The CE mark shows items are certified to the standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Duplicate post

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by iggs View Post
    There are standards in Europe, it's all covered by the Europe wide Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) laws that came in in 1992. The CE mark shows items are certified to the standard.

There are different CE levels though, and still leaves the question of what kind of protection are they allowed to use. I've had CE Level 1 stuff for motorcycles that's basically a piece of foam you stick inside your jacket, and I've had CE Level 1/2 rated stuff that's worn on the body and a heck of a lot more protective.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    There are different CE levels though, and still leaves the question of what kind of protection are they allowed to use. I've had CE Level 1 stuff for motorcycles that's basically a piece of foam you stick inside your jacket, and I've had CE Level 1/2 rated stuff that's worn on the body and a heck of a lot more protective.
    What ever standard you are using provide more protection that a bit of cardboard taped to a jersey

In my opinion he was not allowed to start for flagrantly taking the piss!!

What UCI official is going to let someone get away with that if they notice it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by iggs View Post
    What ever standard you are using provide more protection that a bit of cardboard taped to a jersey

In my opinion he was not allowed to start for flagrantly taking the piss!!

What UCI official is going to let someone get away with that if they notice it.

Absolutely. The whole piece of cardboard stapled to his jersey thing is ridiculous.

Professional Troll
    I'm amazed how little protection some of these guys choose to wear. Something taped to the back of your jersey is definitely not proper back protection. Last season Ratboy was wearing a MX roost guard which is not proper back protection either. There definitely should be a standard if there isn't one already.
    They're not choosing to wear that because it's "proper back protection". They're choosing to wear it because it meets the minimum requirements. 🙄

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Absolutely. The whole piece of cardboard stapled to his jersey thing is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    They're not choosing to wear that because it's "proper back protection". They're choosing to wear it because it meets the minimum requirements. 
    but, cardboard??

WTF I can't even get a package delivery without a hole in the damn box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Sounds like a horny courier

Would sum1 not just lend him one there

mtbr member
    Brosnan was wearing some kind of sleeveless shirt with an insert of some sort stitched in the fabric on the front and back.