mtbr member
    May 2015

Work in a bike park in the US?

Okay, so I'm thinking about going to the US during summer 2018 through CCUSA, a program that helps you get a job in the tourist sector for about 3 months. There is an option to find an employer by yourself and I decided to try finding work in a bike park (maintenance, bike service,...). Of course I will check as many bike park websites as possible on google but the question for here is: Does anyone have any similar experience? Not necessarily coming from abroad, just working in a park? Which parks are good to go to, have a good crew, atmosphere, ...? I will appreciate any help

Alex

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you're unconcerned with financial status, or how many times per week you can have an actual meal... I'd say go for it!

All of the bike parks will have "summer jobs" available for transplants, but these jobs are intended for the younger crowd just looking for something to do with a little bit of compensation. They're not necessarily intended for an adult to make an actual living wage, as in, paying rent and bills AND eating.

So plan on either A. Being broke the whole time, or B. Bring some savings with you so you don't have to eat ramen for all your meals.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thank you for the warning, the program through which I plan going there has some rules about minimum wage and in general people who work via this program make quite good money or have housing and food provided. It could make finding someone willing to employ me harder.

Glad to Be Alive
    Go to Whistler...the best bike park and tons of people doing the same thing...you basically will be real broke but it is the experience of life will be what you remember
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sasky115 View Post
    Thank you for the warning, the program through which I plan going there has some rules about minimum wage and in general people who work via this program make quite good money or have housing and food provided. It could make finding someone willing to employ me harder.
    That might make it really hard to find someone willing to bring you in if it has all those requirements. Seasonal bike tech work does NOT pay well at the best of times.

Now, if you make a run of it yourself without that program, you might have better luck finding a bike park willing to bring you aboard, but then the other aspects are likely to be the tough parts.

Do you have any other skills that can make you more marketable to a place like this (and potentially encourage them to pay you better)? Experience or certifications guiding or running skills instruction? CPR/First Aid? Customer service/sales/hospitality experience?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Whistler is unfortunately out of my reach as it's much harder to get a work visa for Canada...

Going on my own is also a possibility yes, but as this is my first time really going abroad for longer I kinda wanted to have the support of a travel agency, they really help a lot with all the paperwork and stuff. Then maybe next year if I liked it try again only arranging everything on my own. Other skills hmm...nothing certified but I can work on bikes very well (have my own workshop and some experience from a bigger bike shop). I plan on getting a guide certificate sometime in the future but so far didn't have the time (and money, I'm a student). Might be quite difficult to find something...