Thread: windrock

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

windrock

i live about 30mins away from windrock and i still havn't been on the dh trails there,, i hav been there once. also, I just now got my freeride bike complete last nite. i want to take it dhing for the 1st time.

has any1 ridden the dh trails at windrock, and how tough r they? (i am brand new to dhing and freeride, sorta freaked out)

Does any1 go to windrock here on a weekend? I want 2get2 know sum people

long standing member
    I haven't been there, but stumbled upon their online forum. There are some videos in threads on there that give you an idea of the terrain. It looks like the real deal: techy, steep, and they've got some man-made stuff too. Maybe post over on that forum and you can hook up with some locals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ningita
    i live about 30mins away from windrock and i still havn't been on the dh trails there,, i hav been there once. also, I just now got my freeride bike complete last nite. i want to take it dhing for the 1st time.

has any1 ridden the dh trails at windrock, and how tough r they? (i am brand new to dhing and freeride, sorta freaked out)

Does any1 go to windrock here on a weekend? I want 2get2 know sum people
    Where do you live? I live in Nashville, about 3 hours west of WR. Three of my buddies went back in October. They stressed that it's a DH trail more for speed and technicality than it is for FR. Although there are a couple of ladders and drops there, it's mostly a DH trail.
    Also, ensure that you do have the right kind of bike, and all protective gear. They are sticklers about having the right equipment. Example, do not show up there with a hardtail, or a <5" A/M bike. They will most likely not let you ride.
    I'm planning on going here in the spring as soon as I get my Bottlerocket assembled.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i live in knoxville, west side- only take me 30mins. i travel to Oak Ridge very often
    and yes i hav been to windrockatv forums

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ningita
    i live in knoxville, west side- only take me 30mins. i travel to Oak Ridge very often
    and yes i hav been to windrockatv forums
    Then you probably know where Sunbright and Wartburg are in Morgan Co, which borders Anderson Co. Some of my family lives there not too far from Frozen Head State Park.
    It will be a few weeks but once I get the BR put together, I plan on getting some of my guys and going up there. I'll hit you up when we do.
    If you ever get over here to the Nashville area, my friend Kenny and I have a little NS style freeride park in his backyard (in the Insane Stunts thread). You're welcome to come rock it.

mtbr member
    Windrock isn't somewhere I'd suggest going if you aren't a moderately advanced rider.

You can find more info, pics, and vid here:

http://www.sicklines.com/courses/tennessee/windrock
    OldGloryMTB.com | American Made Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    I think Windrock is only open seasonly...but may be wrong about this, I haven't got around to going yet. It is supposedly awesome, but sketchy.
    Waitin on the weekend

mtbr member
    I've been to Windrock a couple of times. I would say you need to be dead minimum advanced DH/Freerider. It is mostly a DH trail, but there are a couple of good FR sections with ladder drops and what knot.

You must have all the proper equipment, Full Face, pads, DH or FR bike to ride there, otherwise they won't let you ride.

Twice per year they have a big gathering. Once in the spring (april) and once in the fall (nov) either of those is a good time to come, there are 50+ riders there on those days.

Everything is built well. You need to be able to handle steep rocky tech, drops, and gap jumps. The biggest drops are like 6-7 ft off a ladder, the biggest gap is around 22ft. There are plenty of gaps in the 10-15 ft range. There are no sissy lines at all so you'll need to commit.

The total elevation change from top to bottom is a little over 2200ft.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i sent my friend a text in late morning, and told him and his friend lets go to windrock. so we planned on going, but i was not able to make it there.(do to my dad needing my help at wrk) /cry
    but they did not hav full protective gear on, just helmets/gloves and basic riding gear with their bikes.

IJR
    I Just Ride
    I've been going to windrock for 4 years now. Windrock was built by and designed for advanced riders, it's not a place to learn how to dh. If you're not on your game it will hurt you.

All the talk about needing a full on dh bike to ride there is BS. One of the best riders up there is on a sx trail or something like that, I've ridden my nomad up there when my vpfree was down and didn't have any problems. Only thing I wouldn't hit on the nomad was the road gap, southern rocks was actually easier but dark hollow handed me my a$$. The windmill trail is perfect for a AM bike.

I would suggest going to bigfoot (one mountain over from windrock) to test your skills before heading to windrock

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    1st - if you ain't got th' skills, it will be known at Windrock.
    2nd - Full face, elbow/forearm, knee/shin pads and I would highly recommend a chest protector and goggles.
    3rd - if you ain't "feelin' it that day" - there ain't no easy lines, so be realistic about it, the mtn takes no prisoners.
    4th - even th' most advanced riders "get bit" at Windrock sooner or later.
    5th - Take a case or 12 pack of Ying-Ling Lager to Capt Toms BBQ. Capt. tom will show you "mad love for it" AND hook you up w/mad BBQ in return. Ask for directions, not hard to find.

If you got th' skills, Windrock will be a blast as long as yer prepared. (Take th' Ying-Ling to Capt.Toms and resist th' desire to consume mass quantities).

Enjoy. I did.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i go to UT and im up there almost every weekend just pm me and i would be happy to show you around up there. If the weather holds up i will be there this weekend. Also there has been a lot of trail work to build some lines with more flow rather than just full on dh. I highly recommend if your that close that you at least check it out.
    Edit: I'm not sure what kind of bike you have, but i ride a reign x and have it everything up there. So it is not a must to have a full on dh bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    1st - if you ain't got th' skills, it will be known at Windrock.
    2nd - Full face, elbow/forearm, knee/shin pads and I would highly recommend a chest protector and goggles.
    3rd - if you ain't "feelin' it that day" - there ain't no easy lines, so be realistic about it, the mtn takes no prisoners.
    4th - even th' most advanced riders "get bit" at Windrock sooner or later.
    5th - Take a case or 12 pack of Ying-Ling Lager to Capt Toms BBQ. Capt. tom will show you "mad love for it" AND hook you up w/mad BBQ in return. Ask for directions, not hard to find.

If you got th' skills, Windrock will be a blast as long as yer prepared. (Take th' Ying-Ling to Capt.Toms and resist th' desire to consume mass quantities).

Enjoy. I did.

Excellent assessment (1-4). I didn't know about Capt Toms BBQ though. I think I'll have to bring Capt Tom some Ying-Ling. If we can't find Ying-Ling, would Tsing Tao be an acceptable substitute?

i eat rocks
    doesnt look like anything to advanced, the video showed a couple 5' drops with go arounds and flowing single track through tree lines.

obviously ive never been there and prob never will, but still not a beleiver of the "pro to advanced riders only"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gil_caz
    doesnt look like anything to advanced, the video showed a couple 5' drops with go arounds and flowing single track through tree lines.

obviously ive never been there and prob never will, but still not a beleiver of the "pro to advanced riders only"
    You cannot form an accurate opinion from the very short video which only shows parts of the most beginner friendly trail. I'm not saying that it is advance level like everyone else on here is, but to understand windrock you need to ride there and experience the steepness and technical difficulty of some of the other trails. And the drop shown in the video is the only one with a true ride around. As stated above nearly every stunt is one that you must commit to.
    Last edited by quazi; 01-29-2008 at 09:01 PM.

IJR
    I Just Ride
    There's a good windrock video of the group I used to ride with on this site. http://www.southerndiscomfort.net/

BBA, the guy with the skid lid and wife beater has unreal bike handling skills.

mtbr member
    Guys I hope this link will help you learn more about Windrock:

http://www.windrockatv2.com/phpBB/in...668758aa8e2775

Scroll down to Extreme Downhill Biking.

I live in the South East and have riden and raced all over the US. Windrock is in my Top 3 places to ride. Its about a 2.5 hour drive for me and if I had the time I would drive up there every weekend to ride. That place will make or brake you. Last time I went I craked my helmet on my first run down the hill on the Snake Rock Trail. Was just flowing down the trail and a rock grabed my foot and put me on my head. If you go there know your limits and what your able to truly ride. I am a Semi Pro that has been racing for 12+ years. If you ever get a chance to go do it. There are local guys there that will be glad to show you around on the hill. We want more to ride there and help the place and the sport grow.

Cecil
    Get out and ride a 650B!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gil_caz

Here is a pic of one of the jumps, use this to make you call, also most of the vids don't do it justice:

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb_mike

Excellent assessment (1-4). I didn't know about Capt Toms BBQ though. I think I'll have to bring Capt Tom some Ying-Ling. If we can't find Ying-Ling, would Tsing Tao be an acceptable substitute?

Nope, Capt. Tom's all about some Ying-Ling w/his BBQ. He specifically requested Ying-Ling.

The vids don't do Windrock justice by any means. The steepness has to be experienced 1st hand, as quasi & oldskoolbiker stated.
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 01-30-2008 at 05:46 AM.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"