Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    banned

Why is the RM9 SO good?

I'm reading all of these reviews, and they say all of this good stuff, but they usually say simply, "and it's a RM9" what makes the RM9 SO great?

Hope my stupid question didn't confuse anyone.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by oreo321321
    I'm reading all of these reviews, and they say all of this good stuff, but they usually say simply, "and it's a RM9" what makes the RM9 SO great?

i think the question is; why is the rm9 so bad?
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

keep the shiny side up!
    if the rm9 was so good, they would still be producing it.

banned
    what's bad about it?
    Last edited by oreo321321; 08-04-2004 at 02:49 PM.

Former Noob Herder
    i think for the most part (from what i remember) they were really long bikes, possibly heavy, and people in general just shyed away from them. I cant recall people complaining about them in the same respect the RM6/7 was mecanically flawed, but maybe there were just not many out there to begin with.

for the most part, the new RMX could be seen as its return, although with an inch of travel missing, but otherwise the same concept, but directed more in the freeride direction rather than a DH race chassis.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat_Head
    if the rm9 was so good, they would still be producing it.
    flawed logic...possibly just werent selling them, like the Turner RFX which everyone loved but nobody bought....

banned
    I am thinking about getting a 2002 RM9 for about 750 bucks, with the shiver and all. Great condition, medium frame, what do you guys think.

I'm about 5 foot 6 inches

I wanna talk to Samson!
    I am thinking about getting a 2002 RM9 for about 750 bucks, with the shiver and all. Great condition, medium frame, what do you guys think.

I'm about 5 foot 6 inches
    im 5'11 and when i rode one it felt forking huge
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

banned
    750 bucks a good price?

I wanna talk to Samson!
    750 bucks a good price?
    not when it doesnt fit
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    not when it doesnt fit
    yeah, but at that price you should have enough money left to buy one that does...

mtbr member
    you should just pay that for the components, then just buy a new frame. Plus RM had bad warentees on them. Theyre sweet bikes when you see them in person....too bad 02' was the only year they made them...

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJrider04
    you should just pay that for the components, then just buy a new frame. Plus RM had bad warentees on them. Theyre sweet bikes when you see them in person....too bad 02' was the only year they made them...
    they made them in 01 also. they were the ones with the pimp flame paint jobs, and the ones thatt were like red a white were the 01s

edit: zedro says they've been making them since 99 so im wrong again
    Last edited by konabiker; 08-04-2004 at 05:17 PM.
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

I wanna talk to Samson!
    yeah, but at that price you should have enough money left to buy one that does...
    didnt they only make the rm9 in one size?
    [SIZE=4]JackNugz[/SIZE]

Former Noob Herder
    they made them in 01 also. the were the ones with the pimp paint jobs, and the ones taht were like red a white were the 01s
    think they went back as far as '99 actually

mtbr member
    hm....I thought I only saw them in 02'. I guess I just remember the 02' paintjobs.....and I didnt really get into real mtb's til like 02'-03'....so thats prolly why I never saw anything past 02'.

Former Noob Herder
    they made them in 01 also. they were the ones with the pimp flame paint jobs, and the ones thatt were like red a white were the 01s

edit: zedro says they've been making them since 99 so im wrong again
    i just checked, theres a 1999 model in the reviews section. I remember a Kawasaki green color.

banned
    So you guys really think that the medium will be too big for me?

/dev/null

Simple answer: It's not. They blew shocks like nobody's business and developed tons of play in the rear end...

banned
    crap, do you think i should get it tho?

/dev/null
    crap, do you think i should get it tho?
    Hey, if you've taken a good look at the geometry and it suits your riding style, maybe it's a good bargain. I just haven't talked to an RM7/9 owner who had ridden their bike hard for more than 6 months and didn't have at least one story about a blow shock or bad linkage.

(yeah yeah, all of you RM9 owners are going to jump in now and tell me "I've ridden my bike for 243 years and haven't even changed my cable housing!" - I'm talking about people I've talked to at races and in the real world okay?)

Being a second owner, keep in mind that you're not going to fall under warrenty, so if the linkage goes in the crapper, you're going to be on your own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    Hey, if you've taken a good look at the geometry and it suits your riding style, maybe it's a good bargain. I just haven't talked to an RM7/9 owner who had ridden their bike hard for more than 6 months and didn't have at least one story about a blow shock or bad linkage.

(yeah yeah, all of you RM9 owners are going to jump in now and tell me "I've ridden my bike for 243 years and haven't even changed my cable housing!" - I'm talking about people I've talked to at races and in the real world okay?)

Being a second owner, keep in mind that you're not going to fall under warrenty, so if the linkage goes in the crapper, you're going to be on your own.
    I can honestly say that the old RM9 was the crappiest DH frame I have ever been around.
    My buddy had one, and the think was hilarious.
    You could grab the rear wheel on that bike, and move it back and forth 2 inches on each side. Some of that was flex and the rest was play. I used to love following him on the trail, and everytime he rode up in a corner, I would watch his back tire stay there while the frame twisted. It was great.
    It was also a shock serial killer. No matter the brand.
    Stay far away from this thing.
    SEI Racing

/dev/null
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R
    I used to love following him on the trail, and everytime he rode up in a corner, I would watch his back tire stay there while the frame twisted. It was great.
    That's freakin' hilarious.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Same experience here. We had some guy (from russia?) on a RM9 when we were doing DH runs during the spring fling a few years ago. Friggin thing had 11" of travel. 9" as a result of the shock stroke, and 2" as a result of play....unbelievable how he was able to ride it, even as slow as he was going...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

banned
    I can't find anything under 750 bucks except that thing used. I just got scammed with my bike and my money, I have no more than 750 bucks, and 750 is definetaly pushing it. Can anyone point me to somebody who will sell there damn downhill bike for under 750 bucks?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast