Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

Why is the RM9 SO good?

I'm reading all of these reviews, and they say all of this good stuff, but they usually say simply, "and it's a RM9" what makes the RM9 SO great?

Hope my stupid question didn't confuse anyone.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by oreo321321
    I'm reading all of these reviews, and they say all of this good stuff, but they usually say simply, "and it's a RM9" what makes the RM9 SO great?

i think the question is; why is the rm9 so bad?
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

keep the shiny side up!
    if the rm9 was so good, they would still be producing it.

banned
    what's bad about it?
    Last edited by oreo321321; 08-04-2004 at 02:49 PM.

Former Noob Herder
    i think for the most part (from what i remember) they were really long bikes, possibly heavy, and people in general just shyed away from them. I cant recall people complaining about them in the same respect the RM6/7 was mecanically flawed, but maybe there were just not many out there to begin with.

for the most part, the new RMX could be seen as its return, although with an inch of travel missing, but otherwise the same concept, but directed more in the freeride direction rather than a DH race chassis.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat_Head
    if the rm9 was so good, they would still be producing it.
    flawed logic...possibly just werent selling them, like the Turner RFX which everyone loved but nobody bought....

banned
    I am thinking about getting a 2002 RM9 for about 750 bucks, with the shiver and all. Great condition, medium frame, what do you guys think.

I'm about 5 foot 6 inches

I wanna talk to Samson!
    I am thinking about getting a 2002 RM9 for about 750 bucks, with the shiver and all. Great condition, medium frame, what do you guys think.

I'm about 5 foot 6 inches
    im 5'11 and when i rode one it felt forking huge
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

banned
    750 bucks a good price?

I wanna talk to Samson!
    750 bucks a good price?
    not when it doesnt fit
    JackNugz

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    not when it doesnt fit
    yeah, but at that price you should have enough money left to buy one that does...

mtbr member
    you should just pay that for the components, then just buy a new frame. Plus RM had bad warentees on them. Theyre sweet bikes when you see them in person....too bad 02' was the only year they made them...

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJrider04
    you should just pay that for the components, then just buy a new frame. Plus RM had bad warentees on them. Theyre sweet bikes when you see them in person....too bad 02' was the only year they made them...
    they made them in 01 also. they were the ones with the pimp flame paint jobs, and the ones thatt were like red a white were the 01s

edit: zedro says they've been making them since 99 so im wrong again
    Last edited by konabiker; 08-04-2004 at 05:17 PM.
    JackNugz

I wanna talk to Samson!
    yeah, but at that price you should have enough money left to buy one that does...
    didnt they only make the rm9 in one size?
    JackNugz

Former Noob Herder
    they made them in 01 also. the were the ones with the pimp paint jobs, and the ones taht were like red a white were the 01s
    think they went back as far as '99 actually

mtbr member
    hm....I thought I only saw them in 02'. I guess I just remember the 02' paintjobs.....and I didnt really get into real mtb's til like 02'-03'....so thats prolly why I never saw anything past 02'.

Former Noob Herder
    they made them in 01 also. they were the ones with the pimp flame paint jobs, and the ones thatt were like red a white were the 01s

edit: zedro says they've been making them since 99 so im wrong again
    i just checked, theres a 1999 model in the reviews section. I remember a Kawasaki green color.

banned
    So you guys really think that the medium will be too big for me?

/dev/null

Simple answer: It's not. They blew shocks like nobody's business and developed tons of play in the rear end...

banned
    crap, do you think i should get it tho?

/dev/null
    crap, do you think i should get it tho?
    Hey, if you've taken a good look at the geometry and it suits your riding style, maybe it's a good bargain. I just haven't talked to an RM7/9 owner who had ridden their bike hard for more than 6 months and didn't have at least one story about a blow shock or bad linkage.

(yeah yeah, all of you RM9 owners are going to jump in now and tell me "I've ridden my bike for 243 years and haven't even changed my cable housing!" - I'm talking about people I've talked to at races and in the real world okay?)

Being a second owner, keep in mind that you're not going to fall under warrenty, so if the linkage goes in the crapper, you're going to be on your own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    Hey, if you've taken a good look at the geometry and it suits your riding style, maybe it's a good bargain. I just haven't talked to an RM7/9 owner who had ridden their bike hard for more than 6 months and didn't have at least one story about a blow shock or bad linkage.

(yeah yeah, all of you RM9 owners are going to jump in now and tell me "I've ridden my bike for 243 years and haven't even changed my cable housing!" - I'm talking about people I've talked to at races and in the real world okay?)

Being a second owner, keep in mind that you're not going to fall under warrenty, so if the linkage goes in the crapper, you're going to be on your own.
    I can honestly say that the old RM9 was the crappiest DH frame I have ever been around.
    My buddy had one, and the think was hilarious.
    You could grab the rear wheel on that bike, and move it back and forth 2 inches on each side. Some of that was flex and the rest was play. I used to love following him on the trail, and everytime he rode up in a corner, I would watch his back tire stay there while the frame twisted. It was great.
    It was also a shock serial killer. No matter the brand.
    Stay far away from this thing.
    SEI Racing

/dev/null
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R
    I used to love following him on the trail, and everytime he rode up in a corner, I would watch his back tire stay there while the frame twisted. It was great.
    That's freakin' hilarious.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Same experience here. We had some guy (from russia?) on a RM9 when we were doing DH runs during the spring fling a few years ago. Friggin thing had 11" of travel. 9" as a result of the shock stroke, and 2" as a result of play....unbelievable how he was able to ride it, even as slow as he was going...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

banned
    I can't find anything under 750 bucks except that thing used. I just got scammed with my bike and my money, I have no more than 750 bucks, and 750 is definetaly pushing it. Can anyone point me to somebody who will sell there damn downhill bike for under 750 bucks?

/dev/null
    I can't find anything under 750 bucks except that thing used. I just got scammed with my bike and my money, I have no more than 750 bucks, and 750 is definetaly pushing it. Can anyone point me to somebody who will sell there damn downhill bike for under 750 bucks?
    Hardtail, man. Buy a hardtail. Don't cheap out on a DH bike, it will be a painful and expensive experience when (not if) it breaks.

You can certainly find a decent used FS rig for $750 though, just be very patient. Check out www.ridemonkey.com too.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    Hardtail, man. Buy a hardtail. Don't cheap out on a DH bike, it will be a painful and expensive experience when (not if) it breaks.

You can certainly find a decent used FS rig for $750 though, just be very patient. Check out www.ridemonkey.com too.
    yeah, i agree, burly hardtail, and you can still have a ton-o-fun. A crappy FS will give you alot of headaches and possibly heartaches.

i always told myself if i found myself without my DH rig for whatever reason, i'd just setup an HT if cash was an issue. And when you can finally get a real DH rig, you'll have super-mad smoothvision skills....

banned
    I rode a hard tail a few times, I hate hard tails, I have been riding full suspension always, I rode that crap from walmart Fullies, and now the ***** sporting shop fullies, I just cant go back to a hard tail.

banned
    some people said pulling up the front end was a *****, does anyone know about pulling the front end up on the RM9?

n00b eternal
    Dude, it doesn't sound like you have ever ridden a quality hard tail. You would be suprised how nice a HT can ride if it is set up right.

The RM9 sounds way too big. I'm 5'9" and I tried one in medium two years ago, and if I had to stop fast it would have killed my future children. RM seems to run big anyway. I don't think you will even fit on the thing.

Besides, riding a burly HT well will make you a better rider. So many people get sloppy with lines and style because their rear suspension will make it all ok.

I think something like this would be in your price range:

banned
    I really have my heart set on a dual suspension bike, I really don't want to go hard tail, if you REALLY want me to go hardtail, I'll tell ya what, I'll go to my LBS and ride the hard tails they have there, and then I will ride the full sus. bikes, and I'll tell ya what I think.

Now: does anyone know how hard the RM9 is to pull the front up?

Former Noob Herder
    I really have my heart set on a dual suspension bike, I really don't want to go hard tail, if you REALLY want me to go hardtail, I'll tell ya what, I'll go to my LBS and ride the hard tails they have there, and then I will ride the full sus. bikes, and I'll tell ya what I think.

Now: does anyone know how hard the RM9 is to pull the front up?
    if its too long, you wont be able to.

I know your not hearing what you want to hear, but people are just trying to keep you from making a regretful decision. You're better off pulling a bit more coin in and getting something better.

banned
    if its too long, you wont be able to.

I know your not hearing what you want to hear, but people are just trying to keep you from making a regretful decision. You're better off pulling a bit more coin in and getting something better.
    but the thing is, (im 15 years old by the way) my dad won't even let me spend more than that, cause quote "you will be driving soon, and when you get your car, your not going to want to go biking, plus, 750 dollars is too much to spend on a bike". I fought hard against that one.

What if I buy the bike, sell the frame (think i can get 500 for it?) and buy a new frame that is smaller.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    the RM 9 was sorta a gimmick. At that time in 1999, 9 inches of travel was crazy, but lol it had like a 2.25 stroke shock, they were terrible on leverage ratios. The idea of 9 inches was just "cool" and even if u had 1 and it sucked, it was hot ****. They did have the best paint jobs though, the Kawasaki green, yes, Zedro there was 1, i remeber seein 1 in boston, and the 1st ever pics of the proto super monster where on a 1999 RM9 with the green/black/silver colors. they do have bad ass play, but u can get the new dogbone and take away alot of that. Besides that, they are still 1 of the best looking bikes as far as sit there and glimmer appearnce, even better that an VP Free, but it doesnt do much good if it rides like crap. Hey 750 with a fork, u can lose, get an avu shock, and the new dog bone, ur set. id buy it for that.

Former Noob Herder
    thats pretty risky. I think your eyes are too big on this one and have your heart set, but really you should be spending within your means on stuff that'll last. If your hard pressed for $$$, imagine what its gonna cost when you start bustin stuff.

banned
    Yeah, I have have my heart set on a fully. Do you think I could re-sell the frame on ebay for 500 or more tho?

and bighitboy, this is the 2001 RM9, not the 1999, I dont know if they are pretty much the same or what, but I just wanted to straighten that out.

SamIAm

listen to the smart moderator!

hes on the right track. i was looking at getting a new FS FR/DH bike and I ended up getting a Haro 8.3 its proly the best FR/DH hardtail you can find. i love mine to death....cept for the DJ2 which i wish was dead. they are great bikes and you learn soooo much more so much faster. you have to pick good lines and learn to land right. belive me. youll regret getting a crappy FS when you have to buy new parts all the time or a new frame cuz you broke it doing a 6 foot drop. the 8.2 is a solid bike with an amazing frame. get it!
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

n00b eternal
    It's not just the bike model, it is just way too big for you. BTW where are you finding an RM9 that is three years old for $750 (complete)? I would not trust that bike...

You will enjoy riding much more if you get something that you can really ride until you get older or get a job (not trying to be harsh).

banned
    First: What does BTW mean? Never figured that out. lol

Second: I dont want to tell you where im planning on getting it because someone will probably go buy it before I do....lol again

Third: I'm too damn lazy to get a job..... lol more

Forth: Don't worry about being harsh, things alway come off different that you thought they would in typeing, and anyway, I AM trying to get in over my head by buying a nice downhill rig.

Fifth: Do you think I could Sell the RM9 frame for around $500 US ( keeping all of the components, and just switch out the frame on the bike?

n00b eternal
    BTW (by the way)...

Personally, I would be wary of a complete bike that retailed for what, like $3k, that is selling that cheap. If you know the seller and you really think you aren't getting someone else's headache, then by all means. As a rule of thumb, you get what you pay for; I would guess it's really been through the wringer.

I don't know what someone would pay for a used RM9 (I wouldn't pay $500, I have heard too many horror stories about that bike). Not to mention the fact that it is big and the average sized rider will want something smaller, making it harder to sell.

But just selling the frame is probably not going to give you enough cash for another new one. Remember that you can only pull so much off of the bike, maybe the fork (if the steerer is long enough), cranks, cassette, saddle, stem, handlebars, and on. But some things might not fit a new bike and some you can't remove: bottom bracket, headset, seatpost, rear hub (if the axle is an odd size or width). Even if you get another frame keep in mind that you will need to pick up these items.

If you are trying to get something at a price point, it's hard to build a bike from scratch. Bike companies get all kinds of OEM deals on parts, making it hard to spec out as nice a bike on your own for the same kind of dough.

That's just my $.02.

Formerly dvo
    if you decide to go with the rm9.......as the proud owner of an '01 rm6 ( i picked it up on craigslist for the rock bottom price of 340 with some components hung on the frame two days after i snapped the head tube off my chameleon ) here is my two cents.......check the linkages out every time you ride. i keep mine nice and snug and tyhe play in the rear is minimal, i would guess that the stories about 2" of play may well be folks who may be neglecting their bikes when it comes to wrenching. yes they do eat shocks, even my 6" has a leverage of 4 to 1, i blew up the vanilla r that was on it and just recently replaced it with a brand new rc, the fox tech recommended that the next time i send it in for service i have them put in their big hit damping cartridge to take the edge off on big drops. of course their are trade offs with everything, do the math and see what will best work out for you.

i have heard that rocky sells ( or perhaps sold ) a linkage kit for the rm6, anyone here purchased it?

north bush biker

rm9 is

the RM9 is a POS i rode one for a day. If you hafta pedal that thing around going up and even across town you better have a cell phone to call sum one to pick you up cuz your tired of pedaling or you bike broke. My experiance with it n that one day was horribal it ruined the whole day mostly cuz i couldn't do anything with it. It was way to heavy and doing any sorta wheeli off ladders most often or not resulted in a face plant. Right now i have a buddie who rides a RM6 and it has the same problems cept as stated by many of the replies above except that the leverage ratio is a lot better. I sugest a burly hardtail to. you can develop some mad skills and smoothnes and yes hard tails can do just as much as a FS bike even more. I ride my P2 (the hard tail) doing drops and every thing more than i ride my norco drop (FS). but when i do ride my norco my friends are always amazed at my smoothness and flow when i ride it. With a Good HT you learn to bunny hop, kangaro hop (you hop around on your rear tire), faster. a FS isn't good for every thing . you limited to certain things. you don't see any one on a FS DH rig burin up the city streets very often unless they are doing some massive roof drop. Where as you see Burly HTs at the dirtjumps, city streets, DH races and trails. They are more diverse and a better learning tool and your money will go way further. The RM9 if its good for anything is a shuttel bike. Youll for ever be replacing bearings seals and pivots. GO for a burly hard tail. COVE, Haro, NORCO, and yes RM makes good hard tails. Make your parents proud of ya n get a HT you can't go wrong .youl get mor bang for your buck and develop the proper skills that the pors have. ALL of them started on HT's and most of them still ride Ht's

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    get with the times...

we all know how old RM9s are...and if u dont then get off ur bike and read summin on bikes...theres nothing worse than someone who rides bikes but has no idea what hes riding...or doesnt appriciate what hes riding...

rant over...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

banned
    Around my house, there is a dump, (not garbage dump, a grass and dirt dump) and I ride tere a lot because they have some nice hills in the woods and stuff, and I have a lot of help soaking up all the annoying little dumps and rocks on my mongoose, and I don't think I could do as well with a hartail.

I allready do drops and stuff, only like 4 feet and 3 feet, and a 8 stair hear and there, but I bottom out too much, and it is starting to annoy me. Just yesterday I dropeded an 8 stair, and I bottomed out so back my front tire blew. Thats why I want a full suspension bike.

/dev/null
    You're really fighting the advice people are trying to give you.

If you are blowing tires and such because you're landing hard, all a full suspension bike is going to do is give you a crutch so you don't have to develop skills. If you learn to ride smoothly on a hardtail, you'll be a lot better off in the long run.

Just to re-iterate, and this is my last suggestion on the subject: You cannot get a quality full suspension bike for $750. Buying a $750 FS rig is asking for lots of broken hardware (read: money you will have to spend), and possibly injury to yourself if it breaks. For $750 you can get a decent hardtail. You will learn lots of benificial skills, you will have a much higher quality bike, and you won't have to pour money into it.

mtbr member
    The choice is obvious:

If you want to learn how to really ride a bike.

If you want to learn how to do bmx type tricks.

If you want to learn how to be super smooth on the trails.

If you want to learn how to do pimptastic dirt jumps.

Get a hardtail.

If you want a headache.

If you want to end up having a broken bike. One of which you won't be able to afford to fix.

If you want to end up hating the bike you have.

If all you want to do is go in a straight line and huck yourself off a small cliff.

If you want to be stubborn and not heed the advice of veteran riders.

Get the RM9.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Prechrysler
    The choice is obvious:

If you want to learn how to really ride a bike.

If you want to learn how to do bmx type tricks.

If you want to learn how to be super smooth on the trails.

If you want to learn how to do pimptastic dirt jumps.

Get a hardtail.

If you want a headache.

If you want to end up having a broken bike. One of which you won't be able to afford to fix.

If you want to end up hating the bike you have.

If all you want to do is go in a straight line and huck yourself off a small cliff.

If you want to be stubborn and not heed the advice of veteran riders.

Get the RM9.
    if you want to kill yourself trying to pedal a monster everywhere....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    some people said pulling up the front end was a *****, does anyone know about pulling the front end up on the RM9?
    Need a Bike get a Cortina, they are great bikes probably just as good as any other frame out there. Cortina just released the Omega-7 DH frame. Looks F'in Awsome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    get with the times...

we all know how old RM9s are...and if u dont then get off ur bike and read summin on bikes...theres nothing worse than someone who rides bikes but has no idea what hes riding...or doesnt appriciate what hes riding...

rant over...
    Hey come on now. I ride a Cortina DH-8 and its still a great frame considering how old it is been around for like 5 or 6 years (frame design). Its just that the RM9 was very flawed and did not do any good. You can tell from a bad bike from a good one easy by the linkage and what kind of sort of berring setup they use.

banned
    those are expensive tho

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast