El Malo

Whistler: Go Mondo ! Get Wet !

LargeXtraCheese and I rallied for a consecutive Whistler weekend for me early this past Saturday morning.
    The ride up was awesome and the weather looked up for the rest of the day.
    We arrived under a mostly sunny sky at about 9:30am and wasted no time. We were two in the first dozen people on the lift. One could tell that trail conditions were wet on the rocks and ladders, but mostly tacky on the track itself. DirtM was closed so we scooted out to A-Line for a warm up. Half-way down, I decided that I was warm enough and decided to throw a no-footer off the high side end of one of the tables. Naturally, I mis-judged the distance between my arse and the seat when absorbing the landing and I sheered off my saddle off the post. Way to start the weekend, rockstar ! Fortunately, I was able to pack the broken pieces into LXC's pack and finish the run down the BikerX before running out to the car for the spare saddle/post combo and returning in less than 10 mins.

The following runs were great but we got caught in a couple of small sprinkling showers, as the weather began to deteriorate around 1pm. We then stopped for some lunch and let it finish raining while we stopped in for breakfast/lunch at the GLC.
    at 2pm, we resumed riding and were able to pull off some nice runs.

The dinner "Walker" cooked was excellent and the place they stayed was great, it just took LargeXtraCheese and I a while to get from the Coast Whistler to their condo in Snowberry on BlackComb via those dark trails. Especially after having seen last weekend how a bear had crapped outside our door step, shredded some bushes, and walked 15ft by our hot tub as we soaked... all in separate occasions after hours.
    Surprisingly, although there was plenty of alcohol, everyone stayed in control... maybe it was the copious amounts of piggy that soaked up the booze. Regardless, it was a great time.

Next morning I awakened at 6:17 but stayed in bed while LargeXtraCheese snorred. at 6:45am I couldn't take it any longer so after seeing the beautiful Blue-Bird day outside, I sneaked into the hot tub and pool for some more relaxation.
    After that, all packed and mostly dressed for the day, we headed to the 'Wood for breakfast, as it is my favourite for reasonable and quality food... and that blonde waitress, she's soo tight !

Once again, we were some of the first on the lift. This time, we'd take a DM run and quickly jet up to Garbanzo where the rain had collected and mud was prevolent. Run after run, rider after rider, the trails were getting blown out and it was a soupy mess in sunny and warm weather. All it took was one run for us to be covered in mud. At this point, nothing mattered. We skipped the BearCub bypass and were taking turns shredding and passing each other various times down InDeep, Little Alder or whatever came our way. Our mission was to have fun passing, but still trying to pull a no-dab run top to bottom. After several runs of intense focus and energy, we got our no-dabber with a few close no-dabbers. In the end we were smiling like kids in a play pen.

After we'd had a load of fun most of the day in Garbanzo, we began to wind down in the lower mountain, and as usual, the BikerX is where it's at. I love that piece of BikePark. So fast yet it's such a nice break from the intensity of the muddy Garbo trails, as one can just hold the line and flow it 'til the end. As one would have imagined, the trail crew finally took out the heavy equipment and have now re-shaped the big step-down and double combo. Anyone comfortable in the air can pretty much hit it now. The thing is, I'm not sure whether or not it will be open to the public or if it will be only open for the event during the last weekend of the season.
    The GapOtron... well, we all know it's been shaped less lippy and way smoother this year, but it's such a fun way to finish the run. I used it fully to work on my no-footers and was treated very nicely.

So, after a great weekend of some wicked ripping of the gnar with LargeXtraCheese, no time was had to take pictures but only the following two... we happened to enter the Taco Del Mar in Squampton, where the quote that had encapsuled the weekend shone brightly on their board... Go Mondo ! Get Wet !

Another injury-free and great season in the Whistler Bike Park... thanks to the staff and all the good times.
    Alright, people, it's a wrap !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

Hisforever
    Right on Mondo.

Until Next Year, keep the rubber in the air.
    Jesus Saves

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Nice weekend report Arm@ndo! Sounds awesome

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It was good times. Damn good times. If the next two wknds are a washout, I could close out the season on that one.

mtbr member
    awww i was expecting some action pics...

El Malo
    I know, I know, sorry to disappoint... normally I wouldn't post this much nonsense without including pix for the visual folks... but this time we decided to forego the pix and stick to straight up shreddin' non-stop top to bottom runs... even skipping lunch... instead, I just packed in my shorts pocket the last piece of french toast from breakfast and that held me over dandy 'til the Squampton meal on the drive back.

BTW, the drive back on the Sea to Sky at sunset was absolutely mesmerizing... we're so lucky to have that in our back yard...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm@ndo
    I know, I know, sorry to disappoint... normally I wouldn't post this much nonsense without including pix for the visual folks... but this time we decided to forego the pix and stick to straight up shreddin' non-stop top to bottom runs... even skipping lunch... instead, I just packed in my shorts pocket the last piece of french toast from breakfast and that held me over dandy 'til the Squampton meal on the drive back.

BTW, the drive back on the Sea to Sky at sunset was absolutely mesmerizing... we're so lucky to have that in our back yard...
    it's good to leave the camera at home and just focus on riding instead of trying to get that perfect shot, i just got all excited when i saw the whistler title with the little camera logo next to it

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm@ndo
    Another injury-free and great season in the Whistler Bike Park... thanks to the staff and all the good times.
    Alright, people, it's a wrap !
    Ahem.....we have closing weekend in a couple o' weeks dude. You're not getting out of that!!

EB

El Malo
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Ahem.....we have closing weekend in a couple o' weeks dude. You're not getting out of that!!

EB
    Oh jeez, here we go... now you're gonna drag me up there ... I thought I had seen the park for the last time the trip before this past weekend...

I guess it would have to be an absolutely fantabulous autumn weather weekend to get me in consideration for a double encore season-ender... the big step-down to double in the middle of the BoneYard sounds pretty delicious right now...

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Do it bromigo! Sounds like we'll have a good crew up there.

just... one... more... trip...