mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Whistler first time advice

Hi,
    I'm riding whistler for 3 days soon. First time there.
    I'll be on a hire bike, but I know how to ride, just want to avoid gap jumps!

I'm after a bit of local knowledge or tips...
    Mainly things like;
    How to load bikes on the lift,
    General etiquette in the park and also village with bike,
    What trails should I start with?,
    Are gap jumps marked?
    What's the new top of the world trail like?
    Any other tips??

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Top of the World won't be open yet.

-Have fun. Ride what you're comfortable with.
    -The jumps are pretty much all tabletops until you get into the double black/pro lines.
    -General etiquette wise, make way for faster riders, but don't feel like you have to jump right out of their way immediately if it's not safe/comfortable to do so either.
    -As for what constitutes a good warm up, it obviously depends on your skill/confidence level, but if you've got a bit of experience Crank it Up is probably a good place to start. It's got a bunch of jumps but they're all tables, and not very big.

Glad to Be Alive
    bring: spare tubes and tires...stuff cost a lot there

if you are driving in....bring beer...alcohol has a huge tax...like 12 bucks a six pack

bring lots of money

ride within your ability and take it easy the first day...many riders break themselves the first day

pull to the side for faster riders..

try crank it up first run....very easy

have fun...rest when you are tired
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stalks View Post
    Hi,
    I'm riding whistler for 3 days soon. First time there.
    I'll be on a hire bike, but I know how to ride, just want to avoid gap jumps!

I'm after a bit of local knowledge or tips...
    Mainly things like;
    General etiquette in the park and also village with bike,
    What trails should I start with?,
    Are gap jumps marked?
    Any other tips??

Thanks

If you rent a bike the lesson is not a lot more (50 bucks I think) on top of your rental. You can get it all as a package deal. Take the lesson. Don't kill yourself.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Three words... Crank It Up.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    LeeL is correct. No matter how long you've been riding, take a lesson. You will learn so much about the trails and how to attack the mtn.

Have a great time!

mtbr member
    seen so many guys get taken out on the first day, so just take it easy. Crank it up can be murder on your hands. Its such a good run but so brutal
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    If you rent a bike the lesson is not a lot more (50 bucks I think) on top of your rental. You can get it all as a package deal. Take the lesson. Don't kill yourself.
    take the Schley camp, is only two days, they will take you to the must do points, and you still have 1 day left....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the tips. Crank it up looks like a good starting point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Answer: Roll it up on there. Watch the guys in front of you. Piece of cake.

General etiquette in the park and also village with bike.
    Answer: Move over for faster riders when safe. Walk your bike through the village.

What trails should I start with?
    Answer: Crank it up and all the other blues and greens are good beginners.

Are gap jumps marked?
    Answer: All jumps are marked. Drops as well. Everything will be tables and rollable unless you are in some places where you shouldn't be. :-p.

Answer: Won't be open till later in the year

Any other tips?? Wear your gear. Full face, knee, shin, elbows, gloves, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Whistler first time advice

Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    Answer: Roll it up on there. Watch the guys in front of you. Piece of cake.

General etiquette in the park and also village with bike.
    Answer: Move over for faster riders when safe. Walk your bike through the village.

What trails should I start with?
    Answer: Crank it up and all the other blues and greens are good beginners.

Are gap jumps marked?
    Answer: All jumps are marked. Drops as well. Everything will be tables and rollable unless you are in some places where you shouldn't be. :-p.

Answer: Won't be open till later in the year

Any other tips?? Wear your gear. Full face, knee, shin, elbows, gloves, etc.
    Awesome thanks!

Yeah I don't want to make a fool of myself first time getting on the lift

Walk the bike, good to know!

And that's great about the gap/drop signage

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You got it! And if you are going for three days try to buy your edge card online. Buying your tickets in the village will kill you. 3day edge + rental will be much cheeping online....def the way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    You got it! And if you are going for three days try to buy your edge card online. Buying your tickets in the village will kill you. 3day edge + rental will be much cheeping online....def the way to go.
    Cool,

Got the triple play card online a few weeks back on early bird special

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Heartily recommend that you ignore everyone who's recommending Crank It Up for your first run.

Crank It Up is infamous for injuring riders that choose it as even a daily warmup, let alone first run on the mountain. Your first run should be Easy Does It. This is a mild XC/family style trail. Use it to get used to the bike and adjust anything that needs adjusting. Enjoy yourself and chillax. Get comfy. If your bike isn't dialed and comfy after one run on Easy Does It, take another lap down it.

THEN do B Line, which is a proper warmup run. It's really fun.

Crank It Up comes after B Line. Rushing anything on this mountain is straight idiotic. You'll have access to more laps than you can handle every single day that you're here. Chillax and take your time.

Anyways...

Tips? Don't ride after you're fatigued. As soon as you become a passenger on the bike, it's time to either call it a day or at least take an extended break.

If you haven't already reserved your bike, I'd recommend renting from Evolution, Summit, or Garbanzo Bike & Bean. As others have said, lessons can be great. Even just a few hours/half day can be hugely beneficial.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    Heartily recommend that you ignore everyone who's recommending Crank It Up for your first run.

Crank It Up is infamous for injuring riders that choose it as even a daily warmup, let alone first run on the mountain. Your first run should be Easy Does It. This is a mild XC/family style trail. Use it to get used to the bike and adjust anything that needs adjusting. Enjoy yourself and chillax. Get comfy. If your bike isn't dialed and comfy after one run on Easy Does It, take another lap down it.

THEN do B Line, which is a proper warmup run. It's really fun.

Crank It Up comes after B Line. Rushing anything on this mountain is straight idiotic. You'll have access to more laps than you can handle every single day that you're here. Chillax and take your time.

Anyways...

Tips? Don't ride after you're fatigued. As soon as you become a passenger on the bike, it's time to either call it a day or at least take an extended break.

If you haven't already reserved your bike, I'd recommend renting from Evolution, Summit, or Garbanzo Bike & Bean. As others have said, lessons can be great. Even just a few hours/half day can be hugely beneficial.
    Cheers mate, yeah dialling in hire bikes is a *****! You can never seem to get them right hey!

Got v10c booked at evolution

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    when exactly are you going.... we fly out tomoz for 2 weeks. youre welcome to hook up with us if youd like someone to show you round.
    do you have any idea what type of bike you want to rent, by type i mean make. as the differant shops all do differant brands.
    as the others have said. whistler is very expensive, even basic stuff is mega expensive. tubes are like 7 bucks plus. tyres are well over 100 bucks. so do come prepared.
    general mountain etiquet like on the ski trail. stop where you can be seen, off to the side. respect others, move aside for faster riders if on blck or doubble black trails. if on blue or green then respect slower riders.and remember they have right of way as they are below you and will be unaware that you are behind them. always look up trail before joining. yield to to others when merging, just basic common sense really.
    lessons and guides are readily available for hire so if you can afford it then its well worth it.
    but as i said if your there over the next 2 weeks and we are in the park feel free to join us.