mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Whistler... end of July? Bad date?

Hey guys...

As a south american rider I always dreamed on going to Whistler.

I have the opportunity ti spend 10 to 15 days there this year... the problems are:

I donīt wanna be there during Crankworx
    I cannot be out of office in September
    I want to ride all over the park... including Garbanzo Zone

What if I go in the end of July... then leave before Crankworx?

Is the weather too bad? Will I spend my days watching TV? Will I be able to ride Garbanzo (some people told me it can be closed because itīs too wet)?

Cheers

mtbr member
    I rode Garbonzo the first week of July last year, most trails up there were open. By the end of July you should be fine.
    There really is no bad time to be at Whistler.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rideut View Post
    I rode Garbonzo the first week of July last year, most trails up there were open. By the end of July you should be fine.
    There really is no bad time to be at Whistler.
    what he said..

I have gone mid june to mid july each year for the last 5..

The earlier you go, the better the trail conditions are as far as how beat up they are (brake bumps).. but less is open. Twice we were able to ride garbanzo in June, but only a couple of trails.

One year in July it was really dusty..

Nothing will be perfect, but regardless, it will be perfect..

mtbr member
    I rode there last week of July this year and it was great. Garbanzo & top of the world were open.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have only been once, it was the second week in august, seemed amazing as far as timing, heard its the driest season, which still isnt dry. Everyone I have ever talked to though pretty much agrees with above, there is almost no bad time.

They have runs set up very well to allow for drainage if it rains, it poured while we were there, one night and in to the morning, we were able to ride sick tacky dirt a few hours later!
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I usually go for about 5 days, and leave about 2 days before Crankworx.
    So the end of July through the beginning of August, or thereabout.
    Never had a bad time, weather was great.

Glad to Be Alive
    all you really have to worry about is too much rain....just be prepared to strip down whole bike and regrease everything(helps bike is broke down for shipping) ...and that is only if you are riding and it rains
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I been here 10 years now best time of year for primo conditions, no lines is September...After that I'd say the end of July

It may rain but it usually is dry and with the right amount of moisture for tacky condtions...The trails are also in tip top shape since its right before the masses hits the trail during c-worx...The only time I can remember the Garbo zone was close because of the rain was the year after it first opened . . .They used to do that to avoid erosion but that whole upper mountain is pretty much all eroded now for maximum chunky, loose fun so they dont seem to care anymore . . .It WILL BE open by the end of July.It may get busy but the park is soOOOoo big that you probably wont even bother the lines and still have plenty of fun on the trails as long as you can manage to dodge idiots standing,walking, stopping or crashing where they shouldnt... which tends to happen a lot right around that time...

Do it ,its a great time to be in Whistler

mtbr member
    And bring a trail/AM bike with you.

Going all that distance to only ride in the park can be a waste. There are so many "xc" trails that have loads of pucker factor to them that you'd be crazy to not ride them. And the dirt will be less blown out on les ridden trails.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    And bring a trail/AM bike with you.

Going all that distance to only ride in the park can be a waste. There are so many "xc" trails that have loads of pucker factor to them that you'd be crazy to not ride them. And the dirt will be less blown out on les ridden trails.
    As someone who recently missed this opportunity, allow me to concur with dudeness. Sincerely wish I'd have ridden Squamish.

Not that I ran out of trail at the park . . .
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
    As someone who recently missed this opportunity, allow me to concur with dudeness. Sincerely wish I'd have ridden Squamish.

Not that I ran out of trail at the park . . .
    Bring the big bike to Squamish, lots of pucker factor there too..

We take a 2 week trip every year and only bring the big bikes, there is certainly plenty I still haven't ridden on the big bike that I would like to get to.. Don't forget Cypress in north Vancouver too..

That being said, I do look forward to a XC trip someday

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I concer with the above mentioned. We went last july the first week. It was epic! Rained the first two days then dried out. Conditions were premo!

Glad to Be Alive
    usually ride 3 days park then take a day off for squamish and north shore...3 more days and go home...that will make you beat up and sore...but the day in between helps
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days