Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

where the trail ends

12K views 45 replies 39 participants last post by  jakester29959 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Amazing movie! I personally think it lived up to all the hype and more. It really made me want to move past some mental blocks I've been having lately and start pushing it again! Really inspiring. Great story behind it, great cinematography, amazing riding, great soundtrack (most of it) and even some good hospital scenes/real life **** you don't see in most movies.

#6 ·
My fave parts were that really long Utah line & the return to the Gobi Desert- Zink's crash was scary! Didn't think he'd get up from that so easily.But the whole thing is just cramemd with amazing riding. My only compliant was the soundtrack. The music didn't match the intensity of the visuals. The music in the trailers was very good; too bad they didn't use it in the finished product.

Definitely going to give it another viewing then order the disc-set next month.

#8 ·
I enjoyed it, although the painfull chat and interview section beforehand I could have easily done without.

Reminded me of Ski / Snowboard movies - long shots of slashing scree.
I would have liked less long-lens helo and more close in where you could see the rider-bike interplay. A bit hard to do that in these locations - kinda hard to rig a zip...

Overall: B+

michael

Reactions: Deep Thought
#9 ·
"I would have liked less long-lens helo ..."

I liked those shots as it really shows how massive the terrain is. The rider is barely visible except for all the dust. I'd love to know how long it takes to scout those lines. Obviously they can't walk'em like a DH racer but they have to know what's in the middle like boulders they can't get around or squeak by.. So do they just chance it? I'd also like to know how many wheels, frames, rear mechs, spokes, etc they go through...... I liked that one vid on Pinkbike with the Dir. of Photographer talking about cameras, altitude sickness, etc. Anyone know what the extras are on the disc set?

#10 ·
i was kinda disappointed...
i mean its really awesome and insane from the logistics and riding perspective, those guys are insane for going so huge so far away from any sorta amenities. Plus its really nice to see a true freeride movie as apposed to all the more racing/dj videos that are around nowadays.
From a movie perspective, it just didn't hold my attention very well. All the artsy shots with background narration are not my cup of tea, and there isn't really a huge variety of riding/locations. Just going huge of stuff that similar to utah. I prefer movies with more action in different settings (Roam/Seasons/Follow Me).
What I did find cool was that when NWD was around, all the guys were riding beefy rigs with double crowns, fast forward now same style lines are getting killed by dudes on single crowns.

#11 ·
Yeah, it was just okay to me. It had some moments of complete awesomeness, but overall I found myself constantly wanting it to hurry up through a soul bro narrative or to show something that didn't look exactly lile the previous two shots. The riding was incredible, but the production was a bit dull.

#12 ·
I thought the footage was pretty darn sweet. The only things I would have changed would have been the music and the amount of dialogue. Some sections had music that fit, but others totally didn't match the gnar factor. I sure there was tons of footage that didn't make the final cut. I just wish they had opted to put more riding in and cut out some of the redundant dialogue.

#16 ·
Overall it was awesome, but there were definitely sometimes where it failed to keep my attention. It made me want to ride my bike wicked bad though - so I guess that's a good sign.

#17 ·
For me, I really like the rider commentary, the back story. So many movies are wham, bam, thank you ma'am. The story, for me, made this movie. It spoke to my sense of adventure. They seem to barely touch on the crazy logistical maneuvers to make it all happen.
My favorite movie for sure!

#19 ·
I was disappointed as well. I did enjoy it but just not as much as I thought I would. I'm not trying to take anything away from the riders. I'll never be able to do 1% of what they can do on their bikes. They are definitely pushing the limits in the MTB sport world and I think it's great.

However, the story telling and some of the scenes were kinda repetitive. The only part that really moved me was when Brendan couldn't do the forward flip jump. He was too worried about breaking his back again. To me that's real emotion and it made the movie more then just crazy stunts but more about how real it is even for those in the sport who seem to be almost God like in magazines and videos.

Yes, Life Cycles to me is still the GREATEST MTB film ever.

#21 ·
If any filmmakers are lurking around here, I have a request. This is my opinion, of course, but this is what I want in a mountain biking movie:

- Zero talking.
- Zero lethargic narrators/monologues.
- Zero emotional story behind this area or that jump. (Ok, if you must have it, put it in the disc extras)
- Zero scenes of hanging out having brews by the truck after the sesh.
- Zero 'getting on the plane/airport layover' shots
- Zero scenes of riders getting all 'whoa bro, that really was life changing and sickter gnar high five.'
- Just action.
- Riders pounding all sorts of lines from fast trails to DH to slopestyle.
- Good quality shots like 99% of LifeCycles and some parts of Where the Trail Ends.
- Music that isn't trying to be so out-of-the-box/progressive that it detracts from the riding (i don't care what kind, just not some no-talent, off-key hipster who dresses like he's from the Russian industrial revolution noodling about while playing guitar with his hands and an accordion with his feet)
- Sections with no music at all. Just the sounds of riding.

Summary: Just Riding. Some music. More riding. That's all I need.

I know it's not all that easy to appease everyone. But that's what I want in a riding movie. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: DWDW and pizon
#23 ·
if any filmmakers are lurking around here, i have a request. This is my opinion, of course, but this is what i want in a mountain biking movie:

- zero talking.
- zero lethargic narrators/monologues.
- zero emotional story behind this area or that jump. (ok, if you must have it, put it in the disc extras)
- zero scenes of hanging out having brews by the truck after the sesh.
- zero 'getting on the plane/airport layover' shots
- zero scenes of riders getting all 'whoa bro, that really was life changing and sickter gnar high five.'
- just action.
- riders pounding all sorts of lines from fast trails to dh to slopestyle.
- good quality shots like 99% of lifecycles and some parts of where the trail ends.
- music that isn't trying to be so out-of-the-box/progressive that it detracts from the riding (i don't care what kind, just not some no-talent, off-key hipster who dresses like he's from the russian industrial revolution noodling about while playing guitar with his hands and an accordion with his feet)
- sections with no music at all. Just the sounds of riding.

Summary: Just riding. Some music. More riding. That's all i need.

I know it's not all that easy to appease everyone. But that's what i want in a riding movie. Just my 2 cents.
++1

#22 ·
This was more of a documentary on the world of big mountain biking than it was a typical stoked out mountain bike video. I thought it was cool. The riding was awesome and the locations were about as epic as they can get. It made me want to go travel to everyone of them.

#26 ·
IMO the movie was awesome.

the point was to grab attention for the sport so that downhill can grow. This may not be the "rider's mtb movie" but it did and will continue to grab the attention of others. I know it worked because I was at the premier and saw and talked to many who were not riders and even a few who didn't know why they were there.

As a movie/documentary, I believe the movie did well. It caught your attention, gave some info, left out points to make the viewer question, and made you want to ride your bike. Also, it showed audiences the passion and will of these riders, as well as their frustrations. Insight like this helps us realize that they are normal human beings, which pushes us to achieve our biking goals.

The trip to Vegas, for me was completely worth it.

P.S. I totally met Brandon Semenuk

#28 ·
Was so so for me. I enjoyed the fact that they tried to tell a story, shots were awesome, quality was great. I just got bored with the same kind of "race down a gnarly dust mountain" action. I find it kind of sad that I get bored while those guys actually are doing massive stunts and risking their lives for the enjoyment of the armchair/couch free rider. Maybe I got an overkill of all those movies... I should just go out and ride my local xc trails with 3 meter sand bumps....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.