mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Where to ride in Utah?

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to Utah this spring/summer (May or June) from NYC and was wondering what the most popular lift accessed places are.

I am really attracted to the whole southern Utah red rock, arid type of riding, like the type of terrain you see on the Red Bull Rampage. Not that I will be hucking myself off of 30 foot cliffs or anything, but I want to ride in that type of environment.

I have heard of Brian's Head. Anyone have any experience there? Not even sure if that place falls under the red rock, arid desert-like category I described.

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Utah does not have lift served riding in the land of red rocks.. but shuttles are available..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks Josie. I actually just did some research on Brians Head compared to other resorts, and it seems that Angel Fire in New Mexico would be better. I guess its a bigger place, more trails, and better maintained. I have only heard positive things online so far about the place.

Plus it offers more of a south western experience which is what we are after. Also flights to ABQ are actually cheaper from NYC than to Salt Lake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you're serious about Utah, best place to start is Moab. Red rock like you see in Rampage abounds everywhere in the SW, but unless you hook up with riders familiar with the area, you have to worry about access. You can literally drive all day seeing stuff you'd like to ride but you don't really know if you're allowed to ride there or not or if some rancher will start shooting because you're trespassing. Plus, that terrain is literally in the middle of nowhere, so if you get hurt and you're on your own you could end up pretty screwed. Moab has plenty of the stuff you crave, and it's legal, well traveled, and lots of folks will point you to good riding.
    I took a trip through southern Utah, stopping at LBS's for directions and mostly got pointed to decent XC trails that were not much different than the trails in NM.
    Of course I'm going to tell you to come to NM to ride. You could spend a week here in the ABQ area and not even scratch the surface on all the trails we have within a 30 minute drive. Want lift serviced bike parks - we've got that too. Parajito (mostly closed last season due to fire damage - not sure where they'll be this summer) and Angel Fire are both world class riding and both are about 3 hours from ABQ. On your way stop in Santa Fe at the La Tierra freeride area and Trash Pit DJ, then shuttle up and bomb down the Windsor. If that's not good enough for you, well then it's about a 6 hr drive to Moab...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks ibikenm. Yeah NM definitely sounds like the better option. Don't really wanna get shot by a rancher haha. Plus you brought up a bunch of good points about the isolation and access factors.

I also definitely am looking for lift access.

One question though- I live in NYC, and I have my own bike. How would I go about shipping my bike? Or can I pack it in a bike box and check it on the airplane as extra baggage?

Thanks a lot

Arf, he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by rswitz View Post
    One question though- I live in NYC, and I have my own bike. How would I go about shipping my bike? Or can I pack it in a bike box and check it on the airplane as extra baggage?

Thanks a lot
    Last summer I flew from Newark to Utah on United and brought my bike with me in a bike carrier. They charged $100 each way, which was pretty fair compared to what UPS or fedEx would have charged. Check with your airline for their specific policy. I had to keep my box below 70 lbs., otherwise it kicked it up into a different category that cost much more.

Huffy Rider
    If you are going to Angelfire, check into Pajarito and see if they will be open any of the days you will be there. Fun place

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ok will do. But what kind of bike carrier are you talking about mtbdawgJeff?

oootard
    Go to Colorado if you want lift-served. Winter Park is a really fun mountain that is more machine built with jumps, berms, etc. Keystone is also close, which is a more raw mountain than Winter Park. As a long time resident of Utah, who now lives in TX, when I travel to ride lift served, I go to CO. I could drive to Angelfire, but in my opinion Winter Park is a better mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux View Post
    Go to Colorado if you want lift-served. Winter Park is a really fun mountain that is more machine built with jumps, berms, etc. Keystone is also close, which is a more raw mountain than Winter Park. As a long time resident of Utah, who now lives in TX, when I travel to ride lift served, I go to CO. I could drive to Angelfire, but in my opinion Winter Park is a better mountain.
    Comparing Winter Park and Angel Fire really isn't easy as they are completely different types of mountains and depends what kind of riding you like.

Winter Park = Fast, flowy and rather untechnical (except Trestle).. shorter runs
    Angel Fire = steep, rocky more natural terrain, lots of vertical..

Both are a blast..

oootard
    I think that I covered that in my post, which is why I mentioned Winter Park's proximity to Keystone for a more raw, technical mountain. Obviously every mountain is different, but if he is coming from the East Coast, a flowy jumpy mountain like WP might be a nice change from East Coast riding, and if he wants a day or two at a tech mountain, Keystone is right there.

Arf, he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by rswitz View Post
    Ok will do. But what kind of bike carrier are you talking about mtbdawgJeff?
    I borrowed this case from a friend. You definitely want something sturdy to protect your steed.

https://www.serfas.com/products/view...e-travel-cases

mtbr member

Where to ride in Utah?

Yeah, I don't think there's much of a comparison between hitting the Denver area vs. New Mexico. No offense to New Mexico. I have nothing against lift accessed either, but Southern Utah is super unique terrain that is worth a visit. There's a reason the pros go back there year after year. But it's a different experience than hitting bike parks for sure. It's gets pretty toasty in the summer, too.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    get in touch with Monte & Bonnie at Utah Mountain Biking Adventures