always licking the glass

When is it time to replace your protective gear?

So yeah.. my husband took a digger at Trestle, and it's pretty obvious some things didn't survive. He's got a broken shoulder (no clavicle.. humeral head and scapula), and it could have been waaaay worse.

His helmet and elbow guards are done. But the body armor, leg guards, and leatte all protected him.

So, what's worth keeping? All the pieces that made it? They're a few years old, so I wasn't sure it makes sense to keep the knee guards and body armor. Then I'm not sure what the right thing to do with the Leatte is. There's no visible damage, but I'm pretty sure that thing saved him.

What's the prevailing theory on this stuff these days?
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

mtbr member
    Most important item to think about is the helmet. Any hard crash where the head/helmet takes a hard impact and you'll want to consider replacing the helmet.

As for body armor, I've never seen any specific recommendations on replacement, but knee pads and elbow pads can take multiple impacts and be fine. If they aren't torn up and still fit snugly, I think it's fine to keep using them. If they look shredded, then replace. They won't do you any good if they won't stay in place.

Padded tops and shorts, same thing, if it isn't shredded it's likely just fine to keep using.

I've not seen specific recommendations on neck brace replacement, but I would think Leatt would publish that on their website or with the warranty/users manual info that it likely came with.

I suspect they probably say to replace it after a crash, just from a liability standpoint. I think it boils down to judgement. Not all crashes are equal, so you have to use some judgement as to whether you tipped over at 3 mph, or rag dolled down the mountainside. If your husband took a hard enough impact that you/he felt that the neck brace saved him, then I would consider replacing it, if for no other reason that piece of mind.

If I feel like anything on my bike or my safety gear is compromised from a crash, I'd much rather replace it and never think about it again vs. hucking myself off some huge drop or jump with that thought in the back of my mind.
    No dig no whine

Elitest thrill junkie
    When it smells real bad.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I second what twd953 said.
    Helmet if it hit the ground. Everything else should be good to go as long as it's not destroyed. Pads are designed to take multiple blows, helmets are not.
    Definitely inspect the neck guard and replace if there is any doubt.
    Hope he heals up soon.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    When it smells real bad.
    That is the universal replacement standard.

I remember racing road criteriums a handful of times when some dude smelled so bad the whole peloton was complaining about the eye watering body odor.

Had to be on purpose to keep people from drafting him, as no human being could smell that bad on accident.

Don't be that guy!
    No dig no whine

always licking the glass

When is it time to replace your protective gear?

Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I second what twd953 said.
    Helmet if it hit the ground. Everything else should be good to go as long as it's not destroyed. Pads are designed to take multiple blows, helmets are not.
    Definitely inspect the neck guard and replace if there is any doubt.
    Hope he heals up soon.
    Helmet hit the ground so thatís done.

We are gonna replace the neck brace just to be safe. It looks like the neck brace took a bit of force and the helmet has some scratches but again, we prefer to be safe. Arm guards are dead, but the body armor and leg guards are going to be cleaned.

Because you know, we donít wanna be that guy
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    1/2 a cup of vinegar in the laundry load with the old pads and voila!