D-G
    banned
    Nov 2008

When to replace DH H-Bars????????????

The title says it all.... My reason for questioning this is...after smacking a tree at nice high rate of speed that left my front (left) brake lever nice and bent...well it's not the first time I've smacked a tree with these bars, (I like hitting trees, it's fun!) they're going on 5 years of age... Truvativ Husslefelt's 31.08 in size....how much can a DH handle bar take? I'm asking from actual experience...I've heard after a couple of good impacts your bars should be replaced rather damage shows or not. Either way I have a new Easton DH monkey bar on the way...just curious if anyone has pushed it with DH bars after numerous impacts and ate poo due to failure.

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Ride it 'til it bends/cracks. Then, replace.

I don't think my wallet could handle replacing handlebars given how frequently I lay it down... or into a tree.

Carbon? Completely different.
    :: wrenchscience ::

Professional Troll
    FIVE YEARS!?!? 2 years tops. maybe 3 if you don't ride a lot or too hard. Bars are cheap...faces are not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    FIVE YEARS!?!? 2 years tops. maybe 3 if you don't ride a lot or too hard. Bars are cheap...faces are not.
    Yours is.

But seriously, I agree, with frequent crashes 3 years absolute max.

Pivotal figure
    I've only had one bar fail on me and it wasn't a catastrophic break. If I had done one more drop that would have been completely different though. Always question why if things start feeling "weird"
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Ride em till they don't do what they're supposed to do. That's all you can really do tbh. Unless you don't like the geo after a while and want something different. Either way it's really your choice.

I had my bars for about 20 months on my last bike (still looking for it )
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

Disciple of Suspension.
    Yeah unless there are any serious gouges/dents in the metal, or they're bent at all, they should be fine. Carbon is a different story but in my opinion carbon and DH don't mix.
    ride bikes.
    play music.
    ...do what you love.
    http://www.myspace.com/wanderingstill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slothoncanvas
    carbon and DH don't mix.
    couldn't have put it better
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

Glad to Be Alive
    come on now....5 years??? time to replace them......also keep your levers snug not tight...that way in an accident they spin instead of break
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    couldn't have put it better
    I guess ignorant kids and DH do though.....

pedal screamer
    Aug 2008
    i say if you slam them twice then replace them. if you haven't slamed them then replace every year, think about it if there damaged they wil probley break wile your doin that 15 foot drop or while your pumping around rocks going 30mph. in bolth situations you really dont want them to break and seriously anyone can spare $50 a year! what do you think is better spending $50 bucks or spending hundreds in the hospital?

Premium Member
    I like how people like to ignore the fact that like carbon, aluminum fails catastrophically.

It also has a fatigue life, so replace your bars!

Equal opportunity meanie
    Aluminum does not readily bend like steel geniuses.....it has shear planes and is not exactly "ductile".

Every year to year-and-a-half for the bar/stem on the DH bike. Watching a stem shear is uuuuugly....

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    I like how people like to ignore the fact that like carbon, aluminum fails catastrophically.

It also has a fatigue life, so replace your bars!
    I know, Al and Carbon fail in the same manner. Some of you peeps need to get yourselves educated.

Another vote to replace the bars.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Good on you for replacing it. I replace mine every 18 months or so. Sometimes more often depending on the amount of abuse it's taken.

I broke a bar a few years ago and survived. It sheared at the edge of the stem on the right side when I dropped off a curb. That small drop must have created just enough force to see a long-building crack finally go right through. I managed to not hit the ground and I was traveling slowly enough that I was able to stop safely. I'm just glad it's wasn't on a 10'er or a high-speed gap in the bike park. You can never know how much fatigue your gear is suffering from or how many little cracks are on the verge of going catastrophic.

New bars are pretty cheap compared to replacing your teeth or months in hospital. Bars and helmets should be replaced long before you perceive a need for it.

D-G
    banned
    Nov 2008
    Wow, what a great response!!! As I stated I already have ordered a new bar... I was just curious on really the effects of DH AL. bars going south after too much abuse, or just failure during a ride after years of service. Mine were over extended, but I am not doing DH courses, just local DH trails that unfortunatly see spandex from time to time, so therefore definatly does not make that a true DH course! hahaha!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by asin
    Good on you for replacing it. I replace mine every 18 months or so. Sometimes more often depending on the amount of abuse it's taken.

I broke a bar a few years ago and survived. It sheared at the edge of the stem on the right side when I dropped off a curb. That small drop must have created just enough force to see a long-building crack finally go right through. I managed to not hit the ground and I was traveling slowly enough that I was able to stop safely. I'm just glad it's wasn't on a 10'er or a high-speed gap in the bike park. You can never know how much fatigue your gear is suffering from or how many little cracks are on the verge of going catastrophic.

New bars are pretty cheap compared to replacing your teeth or months in hospital. Bars and helmets should be replaced long before you perceive a need for it.
    Ideally, you shouldn't be on anything with cracks in them.