mtbr member
    Feb 2011

When/how can I get an specialized SX trail?

I finally saved enough $$$ to afford the bike I want. I want a Specialized SX trail but my LBS informs me that Specialized doesn't have any in stock, won't have any in stock, to include 2012. Really? I have a hard time believing that. They are trying to convince me to buy a 2011 Cannondale Jekyll...thanks, but no. So, does anyone know if these bikes are not going to be available for 2012 now? Or is this incorrect? PLEASE say that is the case. If they are going to be available when should I be able to order one? Are there any shops that have one floating around that you might know about? I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Picture Unrelated
    I no longer have any contacts at bike shops but I think you and the bike shop are misunderstanding each other. The bike shop means to say that the 2012s have not been released yet and the 2011s are out of stock. I don't think Specialized has any plans on discontinuing the SX series but if I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me. You could ask your shop if they can find out when the 2012 SX trails will be released, they might be able to get a time frame from their rep. I would start calling out of town dealers though, I would work on the assumption that you won't be able to get one before winter unless you hear otherwise.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, I tried to convey to them that I would wait for a 2012 once they were released but they said oh they are already on back order...I don't think they understood what I was asking. If anybody knows of a shop with one in stock, please give me a shout. Thanks again.

mtbr member

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    It's very possible your LBS is giving you half-truth, half-BS so that they can get you to buy now rather than later. Most manufacturers have stopped making 2011 model year bikes. They typically stop in the spring unless there's a large unexpected demand. So its very possible that there aren't any 2011s left in warehouses anywhere.

However, if they say they're backordered already on 2012s and they're all spoken for, I'd suspect that's not the whole truth. There's initial allocations to shops based on past performance. But that doesn't mean you can't be placed on future allocations, which are entirely determined by the shop. The likely reason they gave you that BS is.. you're more than likely to just find the bike elsewhere to buy. So they may as well try to sell you current stock (Jekyll).

Are there no other Specialized dealers in your area? AFAIK Specialized doesn't authorize their bikes to be sold via Internet/mail-order.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I figured that was about the situation. There is one other Specialized dealer about 90 minutes away, well within my driving range, but they don't have (south Texas, so duh, right?) any. They said they will "look into" trying to put me on the list for 2012 but they do just happen to have a carbon stumpjumper! Sigh...It's such a pain in the a$$ to get a Freeride bike down here.

mtbr member
    FYI...My local Specialized dealer (SLC, UT) has two SX Trails in stock - one white 2010 sx trail 1 and one 2011 white/gray sx trail 1. I think they are both mediums. I know they have the 10 marked down pretty low. You might want to contact them to see how much you can get one shipped to TX. Canyon Bicycles (801) 576-8844

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Again, it's very difficult; a lot of bike manufacturers specifically threaten their dealers that if they sell via mail/phone/interwebs, they will get their distributor rights revoked.

Small shops MIGHT risk it, but generally the manufacturers can easily call in posing as a buyer to test the shop. It just needs to happen once and then your shop will be scrambling to find a new bike line to sell... and if it happens, typically the other ones will shun you as well. It gets pretty political.

Best bet is still to call local shops or ones that aren't too far of a drive.
    My Trifecta: Rocky Mountain Flatline Pro, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC70, eBay Carbon Hardtail

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    where are you located?

edit: just saw that you're in AK or TX. that may be an issue. I know Ski Haus in Steamboat has a SXT 1 marked down on the floor right now. You willing to pay for shipping?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm a happy guy now...found one at a shop...thanks all...