mtbr member

whats up with gustavs?

So I hear when they work they're amazing but they have uber problems. Are they just high maintenence brakes or do they just completaly mess up? Are they light for DH brakes and have they improved any problems from the past ive heard about?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

gustaves

I've been running a pair on my scream 47+ lbs and they work great not one problem in 7 months with lots of riding they def have more stopping power than hayes cost more also

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had the '02's, '03's and '04's and they just keep getting better. I like the '04's best because they have a split clamp lever, and the lever blade is more comfortable. The '02's had problems with the reservoir not having enough fluid capacity, but that was solved with a recall. The calipers have not really changed much at all over the past few years, one nice thing is you can now run a 210mm/190mm rotor combo.... some serious stopping power.
    Pat T.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biker3
    So I hear when they work they're amazing but they have uber problems. Are they just high maintenence brakes or do they just completaly mess up? Are they light for DH brakes and have they improved any problems from the past ive heard about?
    Not sure about the problems, but I have demo'd the 04s recently (several times in fact) and they are an amazing brake. So amazing that I am dropping putting them on my new ride when it gets in.

They are more expensive then Hayes, and if I was on a budget I might not have justified the price difference VS performance, but for this bike I wanted what I felt was the best.

And besides, now I can become a MCM.

TJ

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i've got a set of 02 Gustav's still running strong thier better than any Hayes around, great modulation, great power i've only ever had 1 issue that was with a lever that started to leak so i have an 03 rear brake lever which is 100 times nicer than the 02, i'm gonna be replacing my front lever soon to match it *it gets abit of lever play, the newer lever's are much nicer and removable, with a bigger master cylinder and such.