Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Giant Bicycles Kick A$$
    Mar 2004

What is your worst crash ever!!!

[SIZE=6]What is your worst crash ever [/SIZE]
    Descried it!!! What were you doing, what happen to you and you bike. got pictures of it put them on.

My biggest crash was last 2003 wim season. I was going about 25MPH, I hit the last jump that was 1'6" with 15' of flat to a down slop right before the finish. I flew 35 feet then over the bars and rolled 50 feet or so then ran across the finish. All I got was a big fat scratch on my lower back and my bike was fine. I didn't get last ether.

mtbr member
    The pics didnt work, but I wnat to see them.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Had a messed up runup on this drop and washed out instantly, my whole body just kinda all hit at once, its be similar to dropping a cow on its side from a roof and watching it land. Heres a pic of the drop.

livin' a lie--TIMMY!!!

Hope

worst crash would have to be when I was about 12....it was raining light, nice wet road....went down a loooong hill on my trendy banana seat chopper bike....took a 90 degree sweeping turn to go to my house and my bike slid out from under me. I had gravel rash (which, as we all know, is the most painful of all body part loss) from my calves all the way to my shoulder and across my back....I had to sleep on one side for about 3 weeks.

gentle like

i don't remember

really, i don't. it was that bad. 1994. listen up, children.

what i do remember is starting the ride with my buddy: it was two days before my first xc race which he was dragging me along to, and we were getting in one last fast training ride (see if we could make it around the lake - freeride-ish for the time, as there weren't trails all the way around the lake).

so, we were going faster than usual. there were some nice 'obstacles' we'd set up along our favourite route, including a couple jumps. here's where my memories stop. best guess is that i (following behind my buddy) took the big second jump too fast and off-kilter. we do know that i hit a tree before hitting the ground. lots of woods 'round that spot.

my buddy stopped after he heard something, waited a minute, and walked back to find my bike bashed up and me walking in circles, with blood coming from my nose, mouth, etc.. helmet flattened, sunglasses smashed, mumbling incoherently. he actually carried me back out to the camp we were at and from there it was to the hospital.

i don't really remember the next few days - it was a reasonably serious concussion. but swelling went down, no serious internal bleeding, and they cut me loose after spending a couple nights in hospital. apparently i could remember my name, etc; i was just in rough shape still. there are pictures of me looking pretty ghoulish at my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary the day i got out, but i'll be damned if i remember being there.

as this predates the digital era, there are no photos i can post. but somewhere there is a picture of my bike and helmet, complete with bloodstains. and pics of me looking like the sopranos crew just worked my face over goood. so play safe, whippersnappers.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    When I was like 12 I slammed into a palm tree. We have those ones here in FL with HUGE thorns on the stem of the fronds. Then there is this rare type with thorns that are not only HUGE but they are double sided, kinda like little horns. I hit one going pretty fast, blacked out, the woke up with my left are anf the left side of my head all bloody. I stumbled down the street to some random guy who was mowing his lawn. Then he took me home, the whole time I was dizzy, kinda like you are when you get COMPLETELY wasted and are about to pass out, lol. Then took a trip to the emergency room and ended up with like 24 stiched or something. I still got a big 'ol scar on my arm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

yea

Yeah mine happened about 2 months ago, was doing some gaps right well it didnt go so well, i was hittin a 20 foot gap, and well lets just say i never made it to the otherside the only thing i remember was flying off my bike and wakking up on the ground in pain with a dislocated shoulder and a bad concussion, i am still getting over that crash my shoulder is starting to feel better.

brooklyn bike rider
    Jan 2004
    never had a high-speed crash thus far, not looking forward to it.

had a bad low-speed bail though,
    off a loading dock, otb, head to pavement, flipped onto back.
    no helmet of course, in my ingenuity.
    low level concussion i guess.
    didn't get knocked out, but i bloodied the left side of my head,
    got a minor case of whiplash, and was dizzy for days..
    the er doc said to have someone wake me up every 3 hours that night,
    to make sure i was alright.
    now THAT part scared me the most..

stayed off my bike for a little bit after that,
    and always wear a helmet now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This one probably isn't my worst but it was the scariest. It was my first practice run at Durango last summer. It was something like 8:00 in the morning. We had driven all night the night before from salt lake. The year before there was little coffee shops open at the bottom of the lift. But not last year. So I didn't get any coffee. This is why I tell everyone this retarded crash even happened. No coffee!! My buddies and I were taking it easy just cruising down checking out the course. I come pounding up the hill to the first and bigger of the drops on the course and there are a ton of guys standing around checking it out. I just say "is it clear?" then just go for it without looking at all. This is the poor judgement part. I remember thinking don't go too fast because guys were flat landing it and crashing the year before so I went nice and slow right off the right edge of the takeoff. This is probably something like a 7 ft drop. I went so damn slow that I didn't even clear the big rock at the bottom and just stuffed my front wheel behind it sending me over the bars for a video quality scorpion to flip to smash the back of the head and roll down the rest of the tranny. I thought I broke my back. And it still hurts now. I crushed the front in and cracked the back of my nice Vigor carbon. After that I was done. I was spaced out the rest of the day. I rode and raced but just really wanted to go home. That one sucked because I really could have broken my neck or my back all because of a non coffee drinking induced fog in the morning.

In the Kitchen
    I was riding some local trails in VT. with my buddy Travis. We were going down this trail at a pretty steep grade towards Lake Bomoseen. The trail passed right inbetween a large oak tree and a cottage on the hillside above the lake. I didn't see it at the time, but there was a exposed root that stuck up between the tree and the cottage. I hit the root and went over the bars. Luckily I had a helmet, because I went head first into the corner of the cottage and cracked the helmet in half. I landed about 10 feet below the cottage and then the bike came down on top of me. The large ring cut open and split the calf on my right leg like a filet. I lifted the bike off me (not realizing at first that I was cut open) and tried to stand up, that's when I felt it. I sat back down and looked at my calf. I was split open and cut to the bone. I could see the bone in my leg! YUCK!! There was no blood. Not sure why? I took off my shirt and covered the cut because I felt sick looking at it. Had my buddy run back up the hill and find a phone at one of the cottages to call my girlfriend. She to where we were and drove me to the ER. I ended up with 14 staples in my calf. To this day, I have no feeling in the whole front (shin) area of my right leg. This all happened in 1991.
    Team Elevate Cycles - www.elevatecycles.com
    SMBA Member - www.saratogamtb.org
    Umphrey's McGee - www.umphreys.com

Who are the brain police?
    When I was about 10.. maybe younger I was riding down my street (a steep hill) barefoot and I decided to stand up on the seat. Instead I managed to stick both my feet into the rear wheel at the same time (not intentionally). Needless to say I stopped short, messed up my spokes and turned my feet into burger all at the same time.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

banned

clicked too many times

clicked too many times
    Last edited by Get_Outside_N_Ride; 03-26-2004 at 11:05 AM.

banned

clicked too many times

clicked too many times
    Last edited by Get_Outside_N_Ride; 03-26-2004 at 11:05 AM.

banned

not bike related, but a good story just the same

Got off the bus in 5th grade, wanted to impress this chic(Katie Fiest) so I hoped on my skate at the top of Goldenstein hill in Bozeman, MT and started to bomb. Hill is about 3 football fields long...I got about halfway down where the hill flattens out a bit and then drops down again when all of a sudden a car comes up the other side(I was in the middle of the road), at the same time I start getting the death wobble so I just bailed to miss the car, clipped the drivers side mirror and went down for the baseball home base slide at 30 mph. The funny thing was(not at the time) our house was right on the middle portion of the hill so this all happened as my mom and sisters were outside raking grass watching. I had a scab from wrist to ankle on my left side...

Got back on the horse some 6 years later when I returned for a snowboard season after H.S.(we had moved to Ohio, grrrrr) and conquered the hill on a long board. Friends behind me in a car clocked me at 40 mph.

groovy lick
    Mar 2004

not on a bike but dumb none the less

I haven't really crashed hard on a bike yet, but Sunday I did do a 10 foot baseball slide down a rock going over 20mph. Weak, but my favorite crash story happened on foot. I was a little nuts in elementry school because I really enjoyed spending my lunchtime being chased by people. Well one day I was running away from this kid and gaining distance from him so I looked back to see how far away he was, when I returned my head to see what was coming up I ran head first into a 5 inch steel pole. Knocked my self out cold for a few minutes and got to go home early. Funny thing is the next day a school I ran into the bathroom wall pretty much the same way. Since then I have learned to always watch where your going, except for that time I ran into a parked car riding my bike to school. Damn now that I think about it my younger years where full of me running in to stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    When I was about 10.. maybe younger I was riding down my street (a steep hill) barefoot and I decided to stand up on the seat. Instead I managed to stick both my feet into the rear wheel at the same time (not intentionally). Needless to say I stopped short, messed up my spokes and turned my feet into burger all at the same time.
    That is sick man!! I once saw a little girl in the ER that was riding her little bike or tricycle and sucked her bare foot through the front chainring. It just perferated her foot. That one looked like it really hurt.

mtbr member

Worst crash!

When I thing about worst crash there are 2 different things that come to mind... the most recent thing was end of last summer. I was out putzing around on my bike by the local school. Next to their basball field they have this retaining wall that is like 6 ft high to flat or very slight tranny.... Usually when I hit that drop I go kinda slow and wheelie drop off it, so the next step of course is to bomb off it at speed. Lone behold I get flying and my front wheel kinda hits a lip I never noticed on the top causing me to face plant the drop going to fast, it dislocated or sprained my shoulder ( the common biker injury). .I couldnt use my arm much for a couple weeks, it sucked.... the other wipe out I've had that also blows, was when I had just bought my xc bike ( jamis dakaar expert) and my buddy and I where cruising up by UMO (university of maine) we we on a flat paved road in close to our highest gear (really movin) and I saw this slight mound that I thought would be cool to jump...so being the genuis that I am I hit the jump (wrong) and came down on the front wheel and skidded my t-shirt and shorts a$$ across a whole bunch of asphalt ( tar is always the worst to wipe out on!)...road rash boo!..... the impact actually blew up my fork the side on the lower stanchions blew out like a 1/4 of the leg... on the positive side.the fork sucked from the get go....it made me upgrade my fork which preformed flawless

Pro Crastinator
    one time i wrecked so hard, i died

livin' a lie--TIMMY!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    one time i wrecked so hard, i died
    Damn that happened to a friend of a friend of mine....he had two accidents in the same week...

1. Riding down a hill after a night of partying and hit a parked ice cream truck.
    2. 4 days later, riding at night without lights on the wrong side of the street and was hit by a car going the opposite direction.....remember kiddies, wear a helmet, drivers are out to get you!

He died twice but he's ok now.

painfully ordinary

I watched a real good one

Ive had some pretty good crashes, but nothing worth posting, but as a kid I remember watching this guy that was mentaly retarded wreck nasty. In our small town in Wa. the city crew was re-paving the roads, at the bottom of a small hill they left a man-hole cover off and had put orange cones around it. Well this guy (Jeff was his name) was riding his bike down the hill and I guess he didnt know what the cones ment and rode his bike right into the man hole, he was going pretty fast and went end over end about 3 times. Try to picture a guy that already was kind of goofy looking, kind of like a cro-magnum man from the stone age, with a baseball sized lump on his forhead. I remember hereing him just wale, he couldnt talk anyway, but you sure knew what he was saying then, I seen him a couple of days later with 2 black eyes and that black and blue baseball on his forhead. now he looks like a cro-magnum frankenstein. Hes really lucky that he didnt get hurt worse than he did, Im sure the lack of mental capacity helped alot, kind of like when drunk people crash, they never get hurt.

Giant Bicycles Kick A$$
    Mar 2004

Got my crash pics working!!!

Hope they worked!!! the first pic is the first thing I did after I finished
    Funniest thing about that crash is I ran backwards throw the finish. I was so dazes I ran in to the fence next to the finish so I ran around and finish ran throw the back side of the finish. How many people can say they finished a DH race backwards? I can!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GiantAC1; 03-27-2004 at 01:50 AM.

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004
    Dude! I am f***ing rolling! Can you imagine how that looked? Reminds me of when I was a kid, my older bro was riding me on the handlebars of his broke ass 10 speed. I go "Can't you go any faster?" so he picks up speed, and with his foot shoves my foot into the front spokes. At least he ate sh@t too!

9 Lives Baby!

Nice!

The look on the guys' face watching you (2nd pic) is HILARIOUS!!!
    Almost as good as my favorite show, World's Most XTreme Elimination Challenge!
    "You want bread? TWO DOLLARS!"

mtbr member
    I didn't think I had any bad crashes until I remembered "when I was 10". AAAaaargh. I was riding my souped up Schwinn singlespeed around the neighborhood and saw a group of girls down the hill from me. AHHhh, the male ego. I leaned into the turn and pedaled that puppy to warp speed. (Gonna jump the curb in front of 'em) About 20 feet from the group my chain comes off and I lose a pedal. That sets up a headshake and with no way to stop(coasterbrake!), I plow headon into the group. I still have the vision of my front wheel catching Virginia ( not after this day) right in the crotch. The shreeking and screaming was nearly as debillitating for me as the impact was for poor Virginia. Oh man, what did you have to remind me of THAT for?

mtbr member
    The worst crash that I had was when I first started mountain biking. I had just gotten my GT xcr le and went to West Virginia with my Venture Crew. We built a two foot kicker ramp out of wood and set it up on the side of a parking lot, there was a nice slope serving as a tranny on the other side with some nice soft grass. I watched a couple of other people go, and decided that I could do it, it would be my first ramp. Right before I went another kid went before me who was a beginner too, and this would also be his first ramp. He went pretty fast, but didn't pull up at all, he nose dived really bad. In mid air he put his hands out so when he hit the ground he broke his collarbone. This is his picture in midair, you can see that he's pretty high up there, and his hands are already out...

Then it was my turn to go, I was pretty confident in myself, so I started pedaling, I went as fast as I could, I was tuned out so I didn't hear when everybody was yelling that I was going too fast, I hit the ramp and tried to pull up, but did the same thing as the kid who went before me, but I didn't put my hands out, I hit the ground head first and tucked and rolled for a couple of feet. My head hurt a whole lot, I took the helmet off and noticed that I had craked it through in three places, and this was my brothers brand new helmet, he was pretty angry... Then the next day I actually went biking again, my front tire slipped out in some mud, and I did a superman into a mud puddle that was about a foot deep, and slid into some poison Ivy, I was in a lot of discomfort for a couple of months...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast