mtbr member

What happened to TAG wheels?

What happened to TAG wheels? The company seems to have vaporized

http://www.mtnbikeriders.com/2008/10...08-tag-wheels/

Locs on Spokez
    No one was stupid enough to run an 8 pound wheelset
    Ground Steeze. @iggzdaloc

mtbr member
    Saw em in Vegas at Interbike a few years ago. They loved dropping like 300 pounds on the rim. But like Iggz said- 8lb wheelset (which I think is lowballing the weight) would be dumb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I saw those at interbike and thought they were amazing, then my buddy bought a pair and it was terrible. Seriously the slowest wheelset i ever felt in my life. It's amazing what a +12 pound wheelset feels like. Good idea if they were pounds less.

mtbr member
    I think Bender runs those 5 spoke wheels on his jedi. In the April Mountain Bike UK theres a picture of him hucking with 5 spoke composite wheels on his canfield, dont know if they are the same company though
    Last edited by nightofthefleming; 05-12-2010 at 12:27 AM.
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

Downhill Messiah
    I saw him runnin them at bootleg on his jedi last year. He raved about how awesome they were, but i too am skeptical at how heavy they are. But if you watch the videos on the strenght tests, they seem waaaaayyyyy strong!

Madspeed always prevails!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz
    No one was stupid enough to run an 8 pound wheelset
    Except for this dude on a Rotec I saw at the Otter... That guy was like Waldo!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming
    I think Bender runs those 5 spoke wheels on his jedi. In the April Mountain Bike UK theres a picture of him hucking with 5 spoke composite wheels on his canfield, dont know if they are the same company though
    I ran into Bender a few months ago at Rich S (AKA "The God Father") house. We hung out for about 2 hrs then Bender needed to head north.

I wanted to take a pic but I was little to slow. He had 3 bikes on the back of his van. Jedi, Canfield One, and Custom Canfield snow bike! All of his bikes were sick! He did not have them at that time but it was before April so maybe someone gave him a set to beat up.

Needless to say it was super cool to meet Josh in person He is an awesome guy and I look forward to riding with him next time he is down

8-12 LB rims does not sound fun IMO

my fun has a hurting
    i think you dropped something dude.

i kid.

mtbr member
    Hugely overweight wheelset that costs way too much? That was a solid business plan

More Riding Less Internet
    They were super strong, but were really heavy. Riding them was really strange. they were so stiff if made jumping really wierd. you don't realize how much your wheels soak up until you put a set of those on your bike. Cornering was fun though, you could hold pretty much any line you wanted.

The thing I never understood was why they didn't just drop some of the weight. those things were so stiff, they could have removed half of the material, and still had a solid wheelset that was a competitive weight.

-KT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thom9719
    They were super strong, but were really heavy. Riding them was really strange. they were so stiff if made jumping really wierd. you don't realize how much your wheels soak up until you put a set of those on your bike. Cornering was fun though, you could hold pretty much any line you wanted.

The thing I never understood was why they didn't just drop some of the weight. those things were so stiff, they could have removed half of the material, and still had a solid wheelset that was a competitive weight.

-KT
    They were supposed to be coming out with a lighter weight version, but it looks like they didn't get that far.

They have a pair in one of the local shops, on an Intense 6.6. They look cool, but definitely a novelty thing. Was very curious to try a set.