V-Shaped Rut

What FS frame/fork would you buy for a cheapy park bike?

Hey all. I recently moved from hardtail SS to a 5" trail bike and have kind of fallen in love with jumps and drops.

I looked around my garage and realized I've got a 26" stans flow wheelset, some saint cranks and BB, a RF atlas wide bar, thomson elite x2 stem, bashguards, avid code brakes, seatpost, flats, etc...

I mean, to me that sounds like I should probably build a park specific bike and stop bottoming my trail bike.

So what kind of frame/shock should I look for? Maybe around $500-$800 or so.

And what kind of fork? The wheelset has the old 20mm through axle (maxle) and I know it fits older lyrik forks so that might be the way to go. I know a coil version can't be that spendy used.

Team Chilidog!
    The lot of DH bikes takes a 150mm rear hub, not sure if that affects your decision or not.

I've built a bike from scratch. It costs me more to do that than to buy a new 2013 Kona Operator for $2800 (it was a new one, but last year's model instead of this years). That was half of what I budgeted, and that included upgrading the drivetrain, handlebars, stem, and pedals.

If you can, see if you can find something that's been collecting dust at a shop or overstock from last year by the bike vendor. In the $500-$800 price range, you're looking at used AFAIK. I got the Boxxer RC with my bike, and it's been great.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

V-Shaped Rut
    I don't know that I need a full on DH bike. The park I ride is more FR/jump oriented. So you're not blazing though rock gardens, just hitting mid/large tabletops, gaps, a few drops, etc...

150mm rear rub would throw a wrench in the works cause I'd need a whole new rear wheel vs the wheelset I had. See my OP, I have most of the parts, really just need a frame and fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Status?

That's what first comes to mind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Look for a used Knolly Delirium. 170mm travel (perfect for park bike), 135mm axle spacing, and a 1.5 headtube.

mtbr member
    You have a 12 x 142?

Then Airborne Toxin. I'm looking for a (relatively) cheap DH bike, probably going to end up with Pathogen.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

V-Shaped Rut
    The rear is 12x135 (came off an intense SS1). The knolly delirium looks like it would be a great option. Just gotta cruise pinkbike a little for a L frame for a decent price.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    I don't know that I need a full on DH bike. The park I ride is more FR/jump oriented. So you're not blazing though rock gardens, just hitting mid/large tabletops, gaps, a few drops, etc...

150mm rear rub would throw a wrench in the works cause I'd need a whole new rear wheel vs the wheelset I had. See my OP, I have most of the parts, really just need a frame and fork.
    I know a 150mm rear would cause problems, which is why I was telling you to watch out for that.

Did you decide on a fork? I've seen a lot of RS Totems in the 180mm on FR bikes, and some are running the Xfusion Vengeance or Metric, but you could also look for a Fox 180mm 36.

Good luck, let us know what you find!
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

V-Shaped Rut
    Thanks for the help! I'm just in the looking stage right now. We'll see what comes up.

I did some gap jumps at the local park today and again started seeing how a dedicated park bike might be a good idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm guessing u don't have the ss1 anymore? That's what I used for park/dh before I got a full on sled

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    I'm guessing u don't have the ss1 anymore? That's what I used for park/dh before I got a full on sled
    I wish. I built that bike as an AM, found it was a bit too heavy for long XC rides and sold the frame. Now I'm wishing I'd have kept it cause it would be perfect for the park.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Bullit
    Fork- Van, Float, 66, Totem