mtbr member

what do you think of 2004 888 R model

I have a chance to pic one up for my 04 bighit for a couple hundred bucks do you guys think its worth it?

Merry x-mas

Oh...

And i did read the reviews it seems like if people didnt crack them they loved them

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Heavy, but very good fork. HSCV damping is LEGIT.

Old 888's will pretty much last forever if you take good care of 'em... Can't say that I'd personally spend more than 200 bucks on one, but it's all about market value nowadays.... see what it's worth to you.
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    check the reb and comp adjusters that they come to their limits, ie stop turning in both derections otherwise signals they are broken,
    u

mtbr member
    And chance you interested in a 05 888rc w/ all 06 internals?

mtbr member
    I've got one & I love it specially for the kind of riding that I do. The tall 603mm AC height is perfect for the steeps but does suffer in cornering. I don't mind it not having the low speed compression because i'd prefer it to dive a little bit while cornering as it somewhat improves turning. BTW I don't race so it's perfect. The fork also has the WORKS treatment done to it as the previous owner works at Zoke.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    great fork, reliable and effective. had one for 3 year, never did any maintainance to it, and was still in great condition when i sold it. My only complaint is that the compression adjustment is essentially useless... couldn't tell a difference even between either extremes of the adjustment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Not a bad fork

Quote Originally Posted by JefedelosJefes
    great fork, reliable and effective. had one for 3 year, never did any maintainance to it, and was still in great condition when i sold it. My only complaint is that the compression adjustment is essentially useless... couldn't tell a difference even between either extremes of the adjustment.
    The compression dial DOES NOT effect the first 4 inches of travel (no matter what you do) It does however effect how fast the fork ramps-up to bigger hits in the last 4 inches of it's travel.

You can read more about this on the Go-Ride web site, and or test for yourself. During the last 4 inches of travel you can "help" the fork stiffen, resist bottoming, ramp-up, become more progressive, add progressive-ness, add progressitivity, or whatever you want to call it, but that is all that dial will do for you.

Newer fork technology is better, but it's still a very low maintainance, reliable and durable fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by General Havoc
    The compression dial DOES NOT effect the first 4 inches of travel (no matter what you do) It does however effect how fast the fork ramps-up to bigger hits in the last 4 inches of it's travel.

You can read more about this on the Go-Ride web site, and or test for yourself. During the last 4 inches of travel you can "help" the fork stiffen, resist bottoming, ramp-up, become more progressive, add progressive-ness, add progressitivity, or whatever you want to call it, but that is all that dial will do for you.

Newer fork technology is better, but it's still a very low maintainance, reliable and durable fork.
    Very true. '04 888R's & '05 888 RC's ony have the High Speed Compression Valve (HSCV) as it only controls the progressivity at the last part of the travel and have no general effect during parking lot tests. That however could be addressed by adding a low speed compression sleeve which would aid the fork's brake diving tendencies. However this mod somewhat affects the forks plushenss, which I prefer over brake dive concerns. The '06-'07 RC2X calls this the RC2 cartridge as it controls general low speed compression while calling the high speed compression the X cartridge.

I have the '06 66rc2x on my AM/light freeride rig and I increase the LSC(RC2) cartridge and make the rebound slower as this helps reduce pedal bob during climbing. However I decrease(fully open) the LSC(RC2) and turn the rebound faster for he downhill as I prefer it to be as plush as possible. The RC2 is also beneficial to twisty smoother singletrack as it aids in the quick responsiveness steering attitude.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

Glad to Be Alive
    personally I would hold out for the RC2X model of 06.......also those tall crowns on the 05will mess with your geometry (chopper it out too much)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days