Roll on Spring Time!

Wetscream vs Swampthing

I payed the price for not having a set of mud tyres last rainy season, dont want to make the same mistake this year. I am considering something from Maxxis to put against the Dirty Dan which I was gonna order till they ran out of stock. Looking at the Wetscream and Swampthing I cant see where each is supposed to differ? Seems Maxxis has 2 tyres for very similar applications. I can see the Wetscream is super agressive and the description states its for competition and race coarses only. I asume it has to do with wrecking trails. I am mainly looking for a tyre that clears really well as the trails I am riding are not super wet but more gluey/gloopy forest floor. Not much rocks or roots.
    I just want to ride.

brake later, pedal sooner
    wetscream is for super muddy conditions
    swampthings are for wet/loose conditions

from your gluey/gloopy forest floor description... i would lead you to www.jensonusa.com and tell you to get 42a durometer swampthings for $20 each.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I would suggest trying the intense spikes. They are a 50a slow reezey compound; they stick really well and are excellent in loamy and wet conditions. The spikes are also a lot stiffer than the wetscreams, so you don’t get that weird squirmy feeling on rocks and roots. They also last forever.

mtbr member
    Wetscreams seem to only work well if it is actively raining and is really sloppy. As soon as the rain stops and the mud starts to get pasty they don't clear well. If you want to be sure you have the right tire, get the spikes and cut them down if needed.
    Team _________

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    last year, i used a set of new swampthings for a very wet, sloppy and slippy day. goin into it thinkin i had a clear advantage over the comp who all ran dry tires, i was quickly proven wrong as each run my tires packed up solid in the 1st 50 yards and traction went away totally. im thinkin my tire choice was crap and wet screams or maybe a wide spaced, hard lugged, dry tire may have been the way to go considerin the soil and amount of rain that day. it was so bad that we looked for wet leaves to ride on cuz the traction was better than the mud. even pushin the bikes back up the hill was a chore that required a good rest after. just terrible conditions yet super fun!

this vid shows how bad it could be and how good some were. granted, most of the guys who stayed up ran before the rains hit hard again but talent is still a factor. my 1st run is at 3:25. my 2nd run was even worse at 8:07

this vid shows more of the same:

the pic shows the packing
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    No, I'm NOT back!

Roll on Spring Time!
    Dude that looks rediculous and reminds me of last year, having never been on a true DH track I entered my first race. I couldnt do the race run due to lack of full body armour but I could do the practice runs. It was insanely muddy and I was on my Wildcard with Big Bettys. The rear was so packed the wheel just locked up in the frame. I have had better results with a Muddy Mary front but it still packs up. I am interested in the Mary on the rear and a Dirty Dan on the front and keeping this set up for forest riding 80% of the time. If it gets super muddy and the Mary isnt coping then Dirty Dan rear. CRC are out of Dirty Dans so I was thinking of the Wetscream or Swampthing, just dont know which.
    The Wetscream looks way agressive for the rear. How about a Wetscream front Swampthing rear combo?
    I dont ride my handbuilt trails when the conditions are too wet as they are not really DH orientated but more flow trails with good bermed corners, drops and nice gaps. I try wait till the dirt gets dry but nice and tacky so a minion rear with a Swampthing/Wetscream would work and then have a rear tyre for really nasty condition DH specific trails.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    cactuscorn that looks like a spike day. we had very similair conditions not long ago at one of the races over here, any one who was not running spikes (including me on my conti rain kings) had a god awful two runs, in some berms we had 5 inch deep mud.

i find that swamp donkeys are only any use when the trails are rooty and rocky, (and wet of course), but when its muddy that's where wetscreams come in. having the right tyre makes all the difference
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    good thing the dhr has tons of tire clearence but that wasnt the issue. more like the slop stuck to the rubber then would sheer off at the top of the knobs. never seen anything like it but thats midwestern soil for ya. the race was in mini soda in a town called red wing where they make the boots. and ya saw how the swamppuppy handled the camber monuted on the back. simply terrible. it was so bad that day grips were flyin off bars.

funny story: anyone whos road tripped with me will tell ya i pack a ass ton of spares, tools, gear... fockin as much shyt as i can jam in the car, just in case. and its not always stuff for me but for whoever might be in need cuz its a long way to go and bust somethin or not be prepared for whatever. so were at this race the day before, suns shinein, and everyones givin me crap for all the boxes of stuff and the big giant tent. durrin practice and before my 1st run, im sittin under the big white ez-up, changin tires, drippin the t-9, sprayin the bike down with my secret no stick jiz, puttin on new tear offs and cleanin the tires with a wire brush. everyones laughin at the guy with all the extra shyt. after the 1st of 2 runs, my tent is full of locals lookin for a dry hangout, a cold beer and askin for all my extra stuff and foul weather toys. the laughin stopped except for mine. and yeah, i shared anything they needed.

spikes woulda rocked but most promoters wont allow them in the states as far as i know.
    No, I'm NOT back!