mtbr member

Went to Creek, had fun.

I've been riding Mtn. Creek for 15 years now since they opened up as Diablo in '02-03? They were one of the first to get into "park" riding on the east coast. Not DH, but jump runs, groomers, berms... The stuff I don't like. But yesterday I went down to ride with my buddy Andrew that I met on the lift 3 years ago. We did some usual stuff like Breakout (fast and fun) and The Jack (technical, but not too hard). I ran into 2 guys (Paul and Jon) that I went to Whistler with last year and rode with them a bunch. My buddies Bill and Spencer came down too with Jeremy, who I'd only met once before. Bill has his one repetitive run of Dominion to Pipeline (tabletops to a 6' drop) that he hits ALL DAY! But today, he ventured a little bit. See, Indy had been "groomed" after at least 4-5 seasons of neglect. It's smooth, fast and flowy berms. That's how it was originally designed, but the past few years the berms had spontaneous babyheads sticking out on the turns. These are now fixed! Keep it that way!!! The same on Tempest! The 4' rock drop now has a steep transition instead of flat. The sections after that drop are all groomed (the way its meant to be). We launched that drop 3 times and I turned into a berm burner for the day. We hit the U-kicker a handful of times too. I teamed up with probably 10 other riders that I met there over the years. That's what I've always loved about DH. I meet new people every weekend at Creek, Platty, Whistler, Whiteface... I even ran into a guy from the Duryea DH race that I haven't seen in 3 years! Riding with so many people gives you motivation. Chris, Spencer, Paul, Jeremy and myself hit some tech runs that I didn't ride in years. Yet, I'm back into some jumps/drops that I've been avoiding. I know I can clear more, but sometimes I regress and hold back from "features", but I'll be riding BMW, Utah, Slayer, and Ripper (the most technical rock gardens on the mountain) at full speed (for me). It felt good to get out and hit some stuff that I've been avoiding and to ride with probably 40 different people throughout the day. Though it was kind of a typical day at Creek, it felt good to ride with everyone and pull my riding back together. I think part of it was that I rode Platty last weekend. That's a place you don't want to ride on an off day.

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Going with my 17 and 20 year old sons again on Thursday. Looking forward to a great day!

Keep on Rockin...
    Ha. Cool.

Similar thing for me this weekend. From "the Region" myself and rode Diablo way back. Moved to north of Whiteface a while ago and now that's my home DH turf. Visiting PA this week and with a few old friends hit up Blue Mtn in Palmerton. We had a blast!

Oh, and btw, as I type this with my greasy fingers I'm eating a coal cracker delicacy. Soupie. Not sure if those make it up your way?

mtbr member
    Well, I'm in the Lackawanna valley (Scranton), but I can't say I know what that is. Lol!
    Hubbard Bike Club

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Well, I'm in the Lackawanna valley (Scranton), but I can't say I know what that is. Lol!
    https://www.homesnacks.net/20-things...e-true-124276/

See number 10

Glad to Be Alive
    very cool !!
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just did my 2nd day ever at downhill at Creek. I'm on a 150/130 travel trail bike. I've gotten pretty comfortable that I can ride all of the Green/Blue trails. I still need to figure out how to jump! I tried a foray into some single black diamond and I was able to happily ride Three Drop. I tried Lower Ripper, but the vertical rocky descent had me hike-a-biking. I enjoyed the rest of the trail. Are there other trails in the park that have a mix of technical rock without shear cliff faces?

ac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    I just did my 2nd day ever at downhill at Creek. I'm on a 150/130 travel trail bike. I've gotten pretty comfortable that I can ride all of the Green/Blue trails. I still need to figure out how to jump! I tried a foray into some single black diamond and I was able to happily ride Three Drop. I tried Lower Ripper, but the vertical rocky descent had me hike-a-biking. I enjoyed the rest of the trail. Are there other trails in the park that have a mix of technical rock without shear cliff faces?

ac
    Try Twist. It's relatively flat but rocky.

Breakout is a really fun run.

On short travel bikes, I think you're about at the limit of the bike/park.

Their jumps kinda suck. I'm not a jump run guy cause of that place. But I can clear stuff at Whistler that's a lot bigger. Creek has what a lot of riders call bmx jumps where the face is more vertical. I stick to the DH stuff @ Creek. Jumps I'll do elsewhere. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Try Twist. It's relatively flat but rocky.

Breakout is a really fun run.

On short travel bikes, I think you're about at the limit of the bike/park.

Their jumps kinda suck. I'm not a jump run guy cause of that place. But I can clear stuff at Whistler that's a lot bigger. Creek has what a lot of riders call bmx jumps where the face is more vertical. I stick to the DH stuff @ Creek. Jumps I'll do elsewhere. Ttyl, Fahn
    Will definitely throw Twist on the list for next time!

We do enjoy Breakout, but I need to figure out how to tabletop. I keep watching Youtube videos. I might need to build a single jump in my yard to practice!

I can't disagree there. I can feel my bike being overwhelmed. It's still a blast!

I was wondering about that. All of their jumps have very steep and tall "lips". I really struggle to get them right at all.

ac

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    they are steep yes but with the right speed they flow very naturally. Its certainly true though that less steep jumps and even drops are easier for beginners as there is less of a chance of over or under rotating.

My favorite trail there is road to nowhere, starting with the drop to natural rock face and on through the red bull cabin drop. That trail is so fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    they are steep yes but with the right speed they flow very naturally. Its certainly true though that less steep jumps and even drops are easier for beginners as there is less of a chance of over or under rotating.

My favorite trail there is road to nowhere, starting with the drop to natural rock face and on through the red bull cabin drop. That trail is so fun.
    Yea RTN is the shit, especially after they re-did the first couple berms. You come off the drop soooo fast into that first corner. The jumps at creek are actually really good like Tim said. Its always the people that suck at jumps that say they don't like the jumps at creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    Its always the people that suck at jumps that say they don't like the jumps at creek.
    I said I suck at jumps in plenty of other post....

But as I found out, only at Creek.

There's a lot better jumps elsewhere.

OH, well. I'll stick to BMW, Utah, Ripper, Deceit, Waterboy, US Open, etc...
    Hubbard Bike Club