mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Ways of limiting a 9sp derailleur for a 6sp cassette

I have an x9 9sp rear derailleur and just built a 6sp cassette and am having difficulty limiting the rear derailleur. I bought a longer limit screw and installed it in place of the low limit screw. When fully turned in to keep it from shifting into 3rd gear(which is nonexistant) it binds on part of the knuckle and wont let the derailleur shift up at all. From the looks of it, it looks near impossible to make an x9 work with a 6sp cassette. Am i going about it the wrong way? Am i replacing the wrong limit screw? Suggestions are welcome!

mtbr member
    you're trying to make something work that isn't designed for what you want... i would suggest getting a 6/7 speed derailleur
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Ways of limiting a 9sp derailleur for a 6sp cassette

Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    I have an x9 9sp rear derailleur and just built a 6sp cassette and am having difficulty limiting the rear derailleur. I bought a longer limit screw and installed it in place of the low limit screw. When fully turned in to keep it from shifting into 3rd gear(which is nonexistant) it binds on part of the knuckle and wont let the derailleur shift up at all. From the looks of it, it looks near impossible to make an x9 work with a 6sp cassette. Am i going about it the wrong way? Am i replacing the wrong limit screw? Suggestions are welcome!
    SRAM RDs are not well suited for this. Even if you use a longer low limit screw it can interfere with the high limit screw and make the derailleur non-functional.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

bike rider
    I did something similar to what you're trying to do. I started with a 9spd 11-28 cassette cuz I wanted a 7spd 12-25 in the middle of the freehub for nice chainline, reasonable gear spread, and minimal chain length change. I cut the 28T cog off the alloy carrier and replaced the 11T with a spacer. This left me with a 7spd in the 2-8 positions. I use an X9 derailleur and the stock limit screws are just barely long enough to work perfectly. Maybe try 7spd instead of 6spd.

I'd assumed (like you) that a 5 or 6 speed version would work with longer limit screws from the hardware store but it sounds like there are complications.
    Keep the Country country.

Slap happy crappiness
    Name:  s780_92328520_1262029561.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  38.1 KB
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Dhgnar - bmx knarps, got some from the local shop, won't be in till Friday though. Came up with a solution in the meantime. Can't wait to test the set up tomorrow.

Shiggy and Lelandt - found this out after some thorough inspection and contemplating lol. I use an 11t end gear on my cassette so spacing it back wasn't an option.

Schwinn - just cause something isn't designed for something doesn't mean there are means of coming up with an effective solution using some good ol fashion redneck engineering

I have an electrical fitting kit, and in it I found a suitable electrical fitting that the shift cable could slide through. It's used for a ground wire I believe, or a small positive/negative stud, it has a hole where you can put a small bolt/screw through it to mount it to your ground or power source, and a barrel where you can put a small wire through and clamp it. I snipped the bolt hole off with some snips and slid the shifter cable through the barrel and clamped it with the proper wire stripper and clamping tool. Works much better than a suggested pencil eraser with a zip tie. with no slippage at all. Still am going to pick up the knarps at the end of the week, but this is a solid option for someone who needs a quick and easy solution. Using the proper tool to clamp it is of importance, and using the proper force. Too little and it will slip, too much and you could shear the shifter cable. Also, if the barrel portion of the electrical fitting is a flat stamped piece that was rolled into a loop/barrel you need to be careful, if the barrel is not complete, the shifter cable could get pinched in the void when you pull it through and clamp it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ways of limiting a 9sp derailleur for a 6sp cassette-image.jpg