Dirt Bike Craig

Vivid Air shock tune for V10c

My V10 came with a Vivid Air RC2 and I'm not sure that the tune is correct for me. I'm 220 lbs geared up and the shock says its a M/M tune. I have it cranked up to 250 psi and it still feels like it blows through the mid stroke.

What tune do I need for my Vivid Air RC2 & V10c at 220 lbs?

Thanks!

Craig
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

Huffy Rider
    The tune you need depends on the leverage ratio of your suspension, which falls in the Mid range. Contact Sram and have a chat with a suspension tech, I talked to one at a demo day and he was real informative about this stuff.

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    The tune you need depends on the leverage ratio of your suspension, which falls in the Mid range. Contact Sram and have a chat with a suspension tech, I talked to one at a demo day and he was real informative about this stuff.
    That is my understanding. I was hoping someone with some knowledge about it could give some helpful input. I will be contacting the manufacturer as well when I have time.

Huffy Rider
    You running it in 10 or 8 in travel?

Dirt Bike Craig
    So far I've only ridden it in 8.5" mode. From what I've read it seems like it should be more lively in 8.5" mode than 10" but I'm already close to the max psi for the shock & it still feels like it wallows in the mid travel

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Give this article a read, it may offer a bit of insight into how to tune the Vivid Air.

Real Life Comparison: Vivid Air and Vivid Coil - Features - Vital MTB

bike rider
    My V10c also came with a Vivid Air m/m tune and works great for my 165lb. It provides the feel they were shooting for in both travel settings. In long travel I use 230psi with the compression and rebound adjustments close to the middle. For your weight I'd definitely think the high compression tune would be better and you'd have to run enough air pressure to warrant the high rebound tune. You might need to run a high enough air pressure to have an issue with the shock's limit. I can't remember what it is but not that high. I think 200lb+ riders are almost always better off on a coil shock.

Some people will tell you to get it custom tuned but I say sell it and get a RC4 (w/Ti spring if you need to limit the weight gain). My 200ish pound friend got a V10c with the Fox shock and I helped him dial it in over a day of DHing. We were pretty happy with the results using SC's recommended spring rate and none of the damper settings were near the end of their ranges.
    Keep the Country country.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    This ^^

Dirt Bike Craig
    I found this on a pinkbike forum

"I believe the tunes are:

* 2.0-2.4 : 1 Leverage Ratio (Low Tune)
    * 2.3-2.8 : 1 Leverage Ratio (Mid Tune)
    * 2.7-3.1 : 1 Leverage Ratio (High Tune)

So it would be a high tune for both the 10" and 8.5" modes. (10" = 3.33, 8.5" = 2.83)"

Sounds like a high tune might be better?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    I found this on a pinkbike forum

"I believe the tunes are:

* 2.0-2.4 : 1 Leverage Ratio (Low Tune)
    * 2.3-2.8 : 1 Leverage Ratio (Mid Tune)
    * 2.7-3.1 : 1 Leverage Ratio (High Tune)

So it would be a high tune for both the 10" and 8.5" modes. (10" = 3.33, 8.5" = 2.83)"

Sounds like a high tune might be better?
    These are very general considerations for picking the right tune... the most important characteristic is the rear suspension and the rate change as it moves through travel. If you have a rising rate then a high tune will likely have too much of a compression spike. Talk to the frame manufacturer or suspension tuner for their suggestions.