mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Ventana "El Habanero"...XC bike used like DH bike!!

Let me give a little background.

I used to ride a hardtail a long time ago. Well back in 97'. I like going fast and shuttling was my favorite thing to do. I also liked dirt jumping.

I always wanted a FS bike to accomodate my desire to go fast down single tracks but never had the money. I sold my bike back in 1999 and didn't ride until yesterday.

I scored a Ventana El habanero from a buddy who was no longer using it. Full set up for 800.00. It is an XC FS bike. I had no idea what was Freeride, All mountain, and Downhill was. Right when I bought it I went and put some downhill bars on it. I took it out to some popular downhill spot yesterday and had a blast bombing a single track for the first time on a FS bike. Mind you, I am following my buddy who is on his Versus Trigger who is handling the trail like nothing. I have to admit that I was not scared to try to keep up with him on my XC bike. It was sketchy because I am using this XC bike like a all mountain or freeride bike. I am not a big guy so breaking sh*t will probably not be a problem.

I paid him 500 for everything except the forks and the headset, but he is letting me use those until I find something else or decide to keep them. The forks are Rock Shox SID's and the headset is a Chris King headset. He wants 300 more for those parts.

I need some advice.

~use what i got for now a keep those parts and give him the 300?
    ~Get some new parts? if I get some new parts, I want some good shocks for the style of riding that I like, going fast downhill. What should I look for, maybe I can use what I buy for another all mountain bike late down the road.
    ~Save my money and buy a new Bike that is bad ass? Actually scratch that, I am poor so I have not enough for a new bike...
    ~Save my money and buy a Santa Cruz bullit for 950?

Here is a pic incase you are interested. '

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    get rid of the fork, wheels, v-brakes, shock, cranks, pedals, frame...

keep the bars though. they look burly.

PS. i hope you're joking. cause im not.

Proud lame eBiker
    Ventana has a wonderful trade-in program. Trade in your frame for another Ventana frame for 30% off!!
    I'd say you're a perfect candidate for the program. Save up your dollars and pick up some more user friendly parts to go with your new frame and you'll b much happier in the long run.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Now with More Wood
    Save your money and bite the Bullit (or similar). Bikes have gotten very specialized (no pun) over the years, and you will be much better off getting something that suits your riding style than trying to turn a XC bike into something it can never be. There are many other options out there if you want a good bike for going fast downhill and generally having fun....look for a used Kona Stinky, for example, those can be found for 800 bucks. Then upgrade parts as you go along (=break stuff), eventually get a new frame, and move your way up to your dream bike that way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Just wanted to get across that I am riding a XC for bombing hills right now because it is all I have and I will take what I can get. I was riding with a Versus x-team rider and he was stoked that I was doing what I could do with the bike. That alone is the motivation I need to save up for a expensive bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What about this deal:

Frame: 2001 Rocky Mountain RM6 (made in canada): http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...=RM6&Type=bike
    Stem: Black Spire (made in canada)
    Handlebars: Black Spire (made in canada)
    Headset: Chris King (made in USA)
    Fork: 2001 Marzocchi JR-T (made in Italy, soft spring, med weight oil): http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-catego...9_1546crx.aspx
    Seatpost: Rocky Mountain (made in canada)
    Seat: WTB (USA)
    Shifters: Shimano XT (Japan)
    Brakes: Hayes Hydraulic discs (USA)
    Wheelset: WTB Discs (USA)
    Crankset: Race Face Prodigy (canada)
    Deraillueurs: Shimano XT front and rear (9 speed) (Japan)
    Rear shock: Fox Vanilla R coil and/or Fox RP23 (USA)
    Tires: Will see what I have

I can sell the bike complete for $1100 with the rear Vanilla Coil only, or $1300 with both the Vanilla R and the RP23 (the rear shock cost me $400 new last year). This would normally cost over $2800.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by mariosjsk8
    What about this deal:

Frame: 2001 Rocky Mountain RM6 (made in canada): http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...=RM6&Type=bike
    Stem: Black Spire (made in canada)
    Handlebars: Black Spire (made in canada)
    Headset: Chris King (made in USA)
    Fork: 2001 Marzocchi JR-T (made in Italy, soft spring, med weight oil): http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-catego...9_1546crx.aspx
    Seatpost: Rocky Mountain (made in canada)
    Seat: WTB (USA)
    Shifters: Shimano XT (Japan)
    Brakes: Hayes Hydraulic discs (USA)
    Wheelset: WTB Discs (USA)
    Crankset: Race Face Prodigy (canada)
    Deraillueurs: Shimano XT front and rear (9 speed) (Japan)
    Rear shock: Fox Vanilla R coil and/or Fox RP23 (USA)
    Tires: Will see what I have

I can sell the bike complete for $1100 with the rear Vanilla Coil only, or $1300 with both the Vanilla R and the RP23 (the rear shock cost me $400 new last year). This would normally cost over $2800.
    We are confused now.... ...can you or can you not give back that XC bike, and thus still have your $800 to spend? Or maybe you can stretch that to $1100...as per the ad above? In which case there are good options out there for you to score a decent used DH/FR bike to get you going. The one above, I would think, is not one of those however. It's a bit old to be asking $1100 for...

Meh.
    That's a terrible deal.

You paid too much for that Ventana too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We are confused now.... ...can you or can you not give back that XC bike, and thus still have your $800 to spend? Or maybe you can stretch that to $1100...as per the ad above? In which case there are good options out there for you to score a decent used DH/FR bike to get you going. The one above, I would think, is not one of those however. It's a bit old to be asking $1100
    I wanted to share another bike that he had for sale. The Ventana is mine, I like it for dirt jumping so I think I am going to keep it. After reading your opinion on the price for the RM6, I did a little research and found out what you said is correct.

I guess it is worth 600.00 trade in for the frame at Ventana. That is just for the frame. He threw in the components, brakes, rims and all that other stuff for 500.00 total. So I am not so bummed about the price I paid but I am bummed that I have to give 300.00 more for the headset and forks. Unless I just give those back to him and find some other shocks to use on this bike that may be cheaper.

Kind of bummed, found a Versus Blitz in the area for only 950.00 but it is a medium. Also my buddy who was sponsored by Versus says that he may know some people willing to get rid of some bikes for cheap. Specifically another Bullit, but may be too big also!!

I am only 5'6" so I think I will be needing a small.

mtbr member
    medium will work fine. I am 5'6 and ride a medium

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Aww man, that might work out then!!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    That's a terrible deal.

yep way too much.
    ..get the bullit
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Definately don't use that Sid for DH, too flexy, not enough travel, and you'll probually blow the seals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Alright, keeping the Ventana for dirt jumping and keg killing. Gonna buy a Bullit for 950. Going to smoke fools too while smoking.

Ever seen someone kick flip a bike??? Stayed tuned retards and thanks for all of the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Alright, keeping the Ventana for dirt jumping and keg killing. Gonna buy a Bullit for 950. Going to smoke fools too while smoking.

Ever seen someone kick flip a bike??? Stayed tuned retards and thanks for all of the help.
    Really?

Are you joking?

The snow needs to melt soon. . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I put some 920 mags on it and a bundle popper for high speeds. I hit the upper face wall with her and also shooted the moon. She's a stomper and can handle 20 footer like a sweet hooker in vegas.

http://www.ehow.com/how_15536_conver...s-country.html These mother f*ckers bit my style.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    She's a stomper and can handle 20 footer like a sweet hooker in vegas.
    pics or vid...or it didnt happen

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think it might have been a two footer but i was stoned so it seemed higher