mtbr member
    Mar 2007

vagrant vs sluggo vs evil

Im wondering if anyone has experience with any of these frames. Im looking to build a heavy duty hardtail for the trails around my house (arizona) I do alittle of everything DJ, FR, XC, and it would also be used for some riding around the neighborhood. And i cant find a price on the evil imperial, im looking to make a pretty cheap build. I really liek the vagrant since i already have a BR but the sluggo looks nice from the picuters ive seen. and the evil has been around for awhile and its known for its durability. Any info would be appreciated Thanks

i eat rocks
    i have a vagrant, i mostly ride DH on my v10, so this bike doesnt get used much.

but... i do like it, im going to try and race 4x this weekend on it. for jumping it feels sturdy, i really dont know cause its the only hard tail ive jumped since i was like 12.

for all mountain style free ride, its awesome, i had my v10 in the shop once but still wanted to ride the DH with my buddies. so i took the vagrant, it handled every thing really well. 4 foot drops, rock sections. it handled those good, i didnt want to push it cause it was my first time riding it "DH"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey man, whats up? I was in a similar situation to yours contemplating which hardtail frame to purchase with all the variations of terrain you named. Since they no longer make the imperial and they are difficult to find used online (at least during the time period I was looking) I strayed away from Evil- don't like the DOC or sovereign as much. The sluggo is nice, but there is something about the geometry/sexyness of the vagrant and all transition bikes for that matter that attracted me. In 08 the vagrants are lighter 5.9lbs, have new decals, and are such strong and versatile frames. I would highly recommend it, but you can't go wrong with any of the frames you have listed. Hope this helps. Peace

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    is the imperial even in production right now?
    oh yea,forget the rest,go with a morphine or.243fr or .243dh
    so this is how you add a signature!!

SamIAm
    out of all those u listed, i would go with the vagrant, it works best with a 4-7in shock, so like a uturn pike or lyric would be a perfect fit to make it allmountain.

my friend has one and it felt spot on for what i like, fast. it was short enuf in the rear, low enuf with the seat slammed, and was slacked out a bit so you can just point and nobrake.

otherwise i would look at the morphine, or 243 racing. they are hardcore burly
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i wasnt aware the evil wasnt in production anymore so basically im down to the sluggo and vagrant and from the reviews Im definitely leaning toward the vagrants. Thanks for all those of you who replied ill post up when i make my final decision.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    well, the sluggo is the same as the legendary Imperial...

but the Imperial and the Morphine are the uber-tough ones, ditto for .243 racing frames.

The Vagrant fits the bill, or the Santa Cruz Chameleon.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Vagrant is a nice bike, they just switched from the 1.5 ht to a 1.125 ht for 08 to save some weight. The Vagrant was built around the Fox 36 series forks but Id run a PIKE or a Lyric as a possibility as they are all strong 1.125 inch forks. Its all on you man. My personal preference is the Vagrant though

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I like my Vagrant a lot and the frame, crank arms, BB and headset happens to be for sale for $350. Its a large 06 with the 1.5 head tube that I bought new in Oct 07. I'll sell the entire bike for a steal if your interested. ... but I digress, back on topic.

The bike is really nice and burly but not as heavy as the evil my friend has. Geometry is good and its a great dirt jumper. I've used it for XC, park riding and just about everything else. I would keep it if my wife wasnt in the market for a new fully.

jeff
    jsexton@swtimes.com
    www.madkobayashi.com
    [SIZE="4"]www.shorelinecycleworld.com[/SIZE]
    06 Transition Vagrant
    08 Gaint Reign X1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was able to ride a vagrant with a lyric today and im in love that thing felt awesome, it was built up with the transition build kit. The seat could be extended to ride an xc with full leg extension and the seat got lowered and felt like a super fun bike. Im sending an email to transition on sizing since im 6 to 6'1'' and i dont know if the medium is right for me... I do have a med bottlerocket and comparing the numbers the med should be fine. But id like to get reassurance from TBC

Mad Kobayashi can i ask why your getting rid of your Vagrant so soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm 6'1" as well and they recommended the large Vagrant for me. The reason I am selling is because I ride my Reign so much that the Vagrant doesnt get ridden much anymore and just kinda hangs out in the garage, but if my wife didnt want a fully I would keep it. This just gives us a bit more to spend on her bike once she gets around to riding them all.

jeff
    www.madkobayashi.com
    [SIZE="4"]www.shorelinecycleworld.com[/SIZE]
    06 Transition Vagrant
    08 Gaint Reign X1

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xxbrandnew10xx
    I do alittle of everything DJ, FR, XC, and it would also be used for some riding around the neighborhood...
    I use my Vagrant for the exact same things, and even a little bit of DH and BMX track riding. It is a great all around bike. I usually just change the tires out when I want to do something different on it.
    I've got some Azonic Outlaws on it for durability, and an older Marzocchi Z1 Freeride fork. I could definitely make the bike lighter if I spent a little money, but I'm a big fatty anyway. If I wanted to shed weight, I could just lose a few pounds.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Does anyone have info on the 243 fr frame? It has some good reviews as well as the Vagrant

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'm surprised at so little love for the Sovereign. Reynolds 853 & 725 tubeset, single speed or geared, 15.5 to 16.75 chainstays, ability to run a variety of fork sizes. It is THE do it all hardtail. XC, DJ, FR, I don't know of another frame with as much versatility. Don't get me wrong, I love the Vagrant and many other cool hardtails but the Sovereign is top dog if you can afford it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What are you riding now? If it is a full squish, expect to be humbled at riding a hardtail on South Mountain...I know I was.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I use to ride somo on a haro extreme and i have ridden somo and other competative mtb loops on my friends GF tassahara or however you spell it. Last time i actually rode somo i saw a vagrant and it seemed to rip it pretty good. I know its considerably harsher ride but I really miss my old HT and im still young so ill take the punishment

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Does anyone have info on the 243 fr frame? It has some good reviews as well as the Vagrant
    i have a .243fr and i love it.its a great all around bike.right now i have it set up singlespeed with an argyle,but i have had a 150mm fork and gears on it and it make sa great trail/fr bike.id def look into them,they are not super common and steel rocks
    so this is how you add a signature!!

sixsixtysix
    The sluggo is an absolute tank. If you have never seen one in person, they are somewhat beefier than most people imagine. The geometry looks similar to the Imperial, but I am willing to bet the tubing on the Sluggo is larger.

The Morphine is probably the toughest bike I have ever owned. They are extremely stiff and after a long day in the saddle on one, your back will feel it. But the chance of you breaking one is next to none, just look at the design, Banshee hasn't changed a thing on it in nearly 6 years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I actually swapped all my parts from a .243 to a Vagrant recently. The .243 is the strongest frame I've ever personally used. It's also a hell of a lot of fun with a big DC fork. That being said, if you ever have to pedal it gets old real fast...13-inch (or something like that) seat-tube and tiny top tube=not fun. The Vagrant is as fun for me and I can also pedal it to the trail-head without having to stop mid-way up hills for a warm juice box and a PB and J.

If you plan on getting supremely radical 24/7, get the .243. If you also might go on less-radical XC rides and pedal to your trail, check out the Vagrant.

mtbr member
    The Evil Imperial would have been a very expensive bike to start with... back in the day my bro got his for just under $800 for frame only.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well i live in AZ and i ride everything, so i will definitely have to pedal. Uphill downhill dirtjumps urban. AZ has a little of everything and im really looking for a bike that can do all fairly well and can still feel comfortable on the occasional XC ride. I actualyl have a domain the Uturn model, so i figure with the adjustable travel i can make any of these frames work but im really liking the vagrant.
    Pedalablility (is that even a word) is important to me but im not going to be entering any XC races so it doesnt have to be amazing just doable. Thanks for everyone whos contributing im learning alot about FR hardtails

banned
    I ride an Imperial, and it rides a bit harsh, being overbuilt aluminum and all. But the good thing is you'll break your skeleton before you break the frame. They are sorta hard to find as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    does anyone have a vagrant? im just wondering if anyone is 6 ft did you go with transitions recommendation or jump to the large for a little more length for some singletrack type stuff