Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    I like air shocks too. The only thing I find that has to be adjusted it air pressure with temperature changes or leak down. But that is a 2 minute fix. Plus you can play with it to see what you like or works better or if more dampening and less pressure is good or bad for example.

With springs you would need a support crew and changing out a spring is a lot more hassle than screwing on a pump. Plus most springs jump at 50lb increments, with air you can vary by a couple of pounds at a time to dial in.

If I was a pro with a team and a mechanic I might run metal but for the lone individual air is pretty nice.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm interested to know if the Vivid air works better for lighter riders. I had the feeling on my V10 that a little more air would improve the performance of the Vivid air (I did play around with the settings). However, I was so close to the max recommended air pressure that this didn't seem like an option. Any riders weigh over say 205 lbs and like the air over the RC4? I still have my air shock and can't decide whether to keep it or sell it.

bike rider
    I've always recommended that riders over 200lb stick to coil. At 165lb I love my Vivid Air. I run WAY more than the recommended pressure, 230psi.
    Keep the Country country.

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    Oh just FYI. EVERY aircraft landing gear is a huge air shock. We just call the oleo struts.
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

mtbr member
    Finished the build --

We did it trail side then road it --- sorry, no action pics yet.

Just a comment, not really sure why SC is sending it out with a 400lbs rear spring even though we told em the bike was for someone hitting 220lbs on the scale.

We built it up with the 400# spring and was super squishy, way too squishy if you ask me.

We put a 600# spring on it and if you ask me, it was still sorta soft.

A buddy of ours has an alloy V-10 (small) with a 650# spring and he gets tire/saddle farts all the time even though the shock is set up fine.

l never raced pure DH... super soft tail ends a must have? just wondering why SC would stock a bike with such a soft spring. It's not like you pay extra for a heavier spring.

Right now.... it's really just going to be used for freeride --- it'll spend time at resorts when they open next spring. Dang thing rides like an XC bike. it's sooooooooo nice. 38lbs too.

super sweet feeling ride.

l took it for a quick spin before handing it over to the new owner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V10 Shock Debate-img_9075.jpg  

V10 Shock Debate-img_7727.jpg  

V10 Shock Debate-img_6824.jpg  

V10 Shock Debate-img_7454.jpg  

V10 Shock Debate-img_5360.jpg  

Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Bumping this thread. So I went with a Vivid Air, and two seasons later, it's blown. Suspension Experts tells me it's almost as expensive to fix as buying a new shock. I have a line on a deal on a CC DBAir, but I'm a little gun shy about air at this point. Also looking at Fox DHX RC4 and DHX RC2. Anyone have experience with the RC2? Can get a new one dirt cheap.

bike rider
    Did you call Rockshox? My 2012 Vivid developed an air leak after a year so they gave me a 2013. A year later that shock leaked oil out of the lower rebound adjuster so they gave me a 2014.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Did you call Rockshox? My 2012 Vivid developed an air leak after a year so they gave me a 2013. A year later that shock leaked oil out of the lower rebound adjuster so they gave me a 2014.
    Might be worth a shot. Thought it would be a tough sell on a 2.5 year old shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt View Post
    Bumping this thread. So I went with a Vivid Air, and two seasons later, it's blown. Suspension Experts tells me it's almost as expensive to fix as buying a new shock. I have a line on a deal on a CC DBAir, but I'm a little gun shy about air at this point. Also looking at Fox DHX RC4 and DHX RC2. Anyone have experience with the RC2? Can get a new one dirt cheap.
    Ofcourse it's blown, you ran it for two years without service. CCDB requires service too.

If you're in LA, I can rebuild that bad boy for about 180. That includes the 80 dollar full service kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    Ofcourse it's blown, you ran it for two years without service. CCDB requires service too.
    Thanks, that's helpful. It saw 2 seasons, but VERY little ride time.

bike rider
    Even if RS won't give you a new one (it depends on the serial # you give them) they might rebuild it cheaper than the first price you were given. I was surprised they warrantied for an air leak but when they heard my serial # they jumped on it. Maybe there was a run that was notorious for air leaks and they want'em off the market? Go to a bike shop that likes you and have them make the call.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    One can't really tell that with "So I went with a Vivid Air, and two seasons later, it's blown."

If you didnt run it much, then you can get away with a basic air can service kit, which is $ 12.

Amazon.com : RockShox Vivid Air Rear Shock Basic Service Kit : Bike Suspension Service Parts : Sports & Outdoors

That plus some 3 weight oil, tools, a six pack, a CD of Hootie and the Blowfish, you'll be able to rebuild that thing in under 2 hours.

2014 https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...ice_manual.pdf

2011 https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...cal-manual.pdf

If your LBS is telling you that it's going to cost close to $ 600 to rebuild a barely used shock, you need a new LBS.

I've seen people chuck components due to a lost screw. That would be pretty much what youre doing throwing out a shock due to a worn o-ring.

Good luck with whichever way you go.

mtbr member
    Thanks, dude. A couple questions. Can one achieve the same effectiveness by substituting "twelve pack' for "six pack" and "Slayer CD" for "Hootie CD"?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt View Post
    Thanks, dude. A couple questions. Can one achieve the same effectiveness by substituting "twelve pack' for "six pack" and "Slayer CD" for "Hootie CD"?
    Not possible. Youll have too much fun with Slayer and won't focus on the shock, and instead get drunk on the twelve pack. Doh!

P.S. If you have to send it out, Rockshox will rebuild your shock for much less than the cost of a new one, guaranteed.

bike rider
    The problem is to replace the main air seal you have to open the damper head and pull the damper shaft. To change the seal between the positive and negative chamber and clean & lube the air can is easy but a lot of people don't want to deal with opening the damper, then setting the ifp, bleeding, and charging it just to fix an air leak. I didn't so I called RS expecting them to tell me to send it in and pay for a factory rebuild. I was surprised to hear them say that they'd send a replacement after they heard my serial number but I guess I had one of the first run of Vivid Airs and the leaking seal was common enough that they were basically recalling them if they had a problem, just like with the early Reverbs.

Does the CCDBa need the damper opened to change the main air seal?

mtbr member
    Assuming they don't replace it for free, I assume a rebuild is going to approach the $200 mark. Meanwhile, I can get a new CCDBa for $325. Not sure I wouldn't be better off just spending the extra $125 on a new shock.

The shock is stuck halfway into its travel, by the way, so I suspect this won't be a basic rebuild (per bing's note).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3