mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Used 2011 Trek Session 88 for $2200???

I'm a newbie to DH and am looking for DH bike. Someone is selling Trek 2011 Session 88 for $2200. I saw that MSRP was little over $6000. Is it normal that person selling dropped price by $4000 in just a couple of years.

Do you think its stolen?
    A spotless bike is a bored bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: Used 2011 Trek Session 88 for $2200???

As soon as you walk out a shop a brand new 2013 bike would loose 30% for lack of warranty and second owner.

2 year old bike I'd except at least 50% off if it was in excellent condition. Its a DH bike, so could have had a lot of abuse.

I think the problem is most people over price when they try to sell a bike. Sounds a fair price to me.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If it's in good condition I'd say it's a good deal. You're getting a bike with a Fox 40, Fox DHX RC4 shock, Shimano Saint cranks, SRAM X.O r/d and shifters, and Avid Elixir brakes. I'm not to hot on the Bontrager stuff like seat, bars and wheels, but decent stuff none the less. That's if it's all original stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Oh and the frame ain't to bad either!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Got my DHR for 50% off retail when it was 6 months old, barely ridden. Paid $3500, retailed for $7250. Not sure if it was stolen. Could it have been? Yes. Do I care? No. I didn't ask the previous owner if he jacked it, so I don't know.

Not uncommon to see highend DH bikes sell for cheap, that are fairly new. Sponsored team riders pay distributor prices, therefore build up something SICK and sell it extremely cheap. And still make money. Shop employees do the same I presume. Just gotta know where to look and what to look for. Also, if it was stolen, most bike thieves have no idea what they really have or where to appropriately sell it. Chances are its legit. If you pay for it fair and square, I would have no hard feelings. The long dick of the law says otherwise though, so best to make sure its not stolen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    Also, if it was stolen, most bike thieves have no idea what they really have or where to appropriately sell it. Chances are its legit.
    True. I saw the posting on pinkbike.com. What non rider would know about pinkbike.com. I just hate thieves and would not want to give them a dime.
    A spotless bike is a bored bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pacing08 View Post
    True. I saw the posting on pinkbike.com. What non rider would know about pinkbike.com. I just hate thieves and would not want to give them a dime.
    Honestly it wouldn't take much to find pinkbike. Thieves are generally stupid people though and wouldn't think that far into the matter. They would stick it on craigslist and call it a day. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if some thieving pricks have taken high end bikes to the scrapyard. I think you are safe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    Got my DHR for 50% off retail when it was 6 months old, barely ridden. Paid $3500, retailed for $7250. Not sure if it was stolen. Could it have been? Yes. Do I care? No. I didn't ask the previous owner if he jacked it, so I don't know.
    You'd care if the police ever tracked it down and took it off you!

But, if the seller knows about the bike and it's history it's hardly ever nicked. Thieves try to sell a 223 with Hope bling as a 'Orange mtb with motorbike brakes,' been there.

If the guy can tell you about where he got it, where he's been on it and what he's changed from stock (if anything) then he's more than likely legit. DH bikes depreciate absurdly fast, faster than any other kind of bike (new tech hype + high risk use) so $2200 for a two year old bike sounds about normal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thats a good deal. Your paying for the price of the fork and the rear derailleur. I'd personally take it for that.

If frame serves you for a couple of years, youre still ahead. The rest of the bike will still be good.