mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! urgent need help, hydro brake problem

So I took my front wheel of for transport and the lever got squeezed so the pads locked up. I opened them up again with two screwdrivers and the disc fit right in. Now the calipers are barely touching the disk and the lever squeezes maybe 25% of what it did and I can't figure it out. What do I do?

Uphill? What's that
    Have them bled. Should fix your problem.

bike rider
    Yes, a bleed will definitely sort things out for you. If you don't have the bleed kit or want a possibly quicker fix try this:
    With the rotor in place pump the brake a few times.
    Remove the rotor and open the bleed port on the lever.
    Push the pistons all the way back in. (Did any bubbles or oil come out the port?)
    Close the lever's bleed port, put the rotor back in, and pump the lever a few times.
    Better? No? Than do a full bleed.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    im going to have to get them bled, im still fairly new to all this disk brake hoopla. how much does that cost on average?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaveli View Post
    im going to have to get them bled, im still fairly new to all this disk brake hoopla. how much does that cost on average?
    What kind of brakes do you have? There are plenty of bleed kits you can purchase that come with all the necessary equipment to properly bleed brakes as well as youtube videos on how to do it.

bike rider
    A brake bleed is $15-20. While I agree that bleed kits are cheaper than that and it's easy to do there is the potential to mess things up if you're not a generally good mechanic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hayes straightline

mtbr member
    With the wheel in place, keep squeezing the lever rapidly all the way to the bar. The pads will move in and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    With the wheel in place, keep squeezing the lever rapidly all the way to the bar. The pads will move in and you'll be fine.

agree with larry,,, if you forced the pistons all the way back in to the caliper, then the pads will need to be reset back towards the rotor,, just as larry said keep pumping the lever, it should firm up after a good few pumps.
    depending how far out the piston came some air could have got passed the piston seals, if so then as the others have said, a brake bleed maybe required.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    i tried pumping the lever as far as i could and it still is the same. and another thing too, a pulley came off my rear derailleur just now, its the middle of the three. i have the pieces but dont know how to fix it! its a shimano deore XT 9 spd

Glad to Be Alive
    i tried pumping the lever as far as i could and it still is the same. and another thing too, a pulley came off my rear derailleur just now, its the middle of the three. i have the pieces but dont know how to fix it! its a shimano deore XT 9 spd
    take it to your local bike shop and pay money to get it all fixed
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    give me some money and sure! lol im broke as HELL!

bike rider
    Either you gotta make some money or figure out how to fix bikes. If you can't figure out the derailleur pulleys you've got a lotta learning to do or you're just gonna mess stuff up. It's kinda easy if you have a mechanical mind but clearly it's kinda hard cuz I can make a living fixing other people's bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Either you gotta make some money or figure out how to fix bikes. If you can't figure out the derailleur pulleys you've got a lotta learning to do or you're just gonna mess stuff up. It's kinda easy if you have a mechanical mind but clearly it's kinda hard cuz I can make a living fixing other people's bikes.
    yeah, i can figure out alot of things (my dad always made me figure everything on my own) and i was suprised when i couldnt figure the derailleur out.

bike rider
    Youtube videos can be helpful.

RideDirt
    Go smoke a joint or drink a beer , things should be better from there .

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    yeah i wish :P only 16 though.

Braugh Bro.
    You could try (with the rotor in place) tie down the brake lever down with something firm (I use a toe strap) and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Basically does the same thing as pumping the lever, but i find it to be a bit more thorough.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Isn't that the first step to all bike maintenance?

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Isn't that the first step to all bike maintenance?
    Oh yes it is , nice cold beer is a must ... I was doing this earlier trying to fix a bent brake lever after some OTB action on some fukd up rock garden haha ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    when you say you tried pumping the lever as far as it would go, what do you mean exactly ? did you just pull the lever as far as it would go,,, when we said pump the lever we mean to pull then release pull then release multiple times, this will force the air in the system into the lever, and should frim up the brake feel, also once the air is in the lever you should in theory beable to top up the fluid,,, thats how i sed to do my magura brakes anyway,
    reguarding your derailiuer,,, not sure what you mean,,,,, you say pully came off, middle of the three,,, what exactly do you mean,,, could you post a picture,,,
    when you say pully do you mean the jockey wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    when you say you tried pumping the lever as far as it would go, what do you mean exactly ? did you just pull the lever as far as it would go,,, when we said pump the lever we mean to pull then release pull then release multiple times, this will force the air in the system into the lever, and should frim up the brake feel, also once the air is in the lever you should in theory beable to top up the fluid,,, thats how i sed to do my magura brakes anyway,
    reguarding your derailiuer,,, not sure what you mean,,,,, you say pully came off, middle of the three,,, what exactly do you mean,,, could you post a picture,,,
    when you say pully do you mean the jockey wheel.
    lol i have no clue on the pulley thing, but i fixed it after toying around for an hour or so! and yes i pulled the lever as far in as possible, released, and repeated about 50 times and nothing. i can hear a brake pad slightly rubbing now and then and its just irritating the **** out of me! thanks for all the help everybody btw!

bike rider
    If the rotor has a wobble and is rubbing the pad in one place you can gently bend it straight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    k, will do!