mtbr member
    Feb 2009

UpstateNY riders

Looking at two possible jobs in upstate (one near albany, another near rochester), and I'm trying to find out if there is much of a big bike scene in the area.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    both on either side the state. personally i would look at the Albany job more much closer distance to ski mountains like Plattekill and Mt.Snow, Vt.. i think 1 or 2 in ski resorts in northern NJ rock some cool Dh stuff... 3hr. drive to Whiteface Vs. the 5hr from Rochester.. i hear Witeface has some crazy shiiiiii stuff ... I grew up about an hour north of the capital in the small town of Burnt Hills ( State Champs!) I've been in the USAF and it's been a good 11 years since I've actually been home. do some research on what mountains have mt. biking. I know Gore used to, but from what I hear they nose dived and don't offer to much. West kicked ass when I played and raced their. Jiminy Peak, Windham, Killington, and.Stratton in Vt...
    Last edited by shwinn8; 12-14-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    What sort of biking are you looking for?

Is not amused
    If your looking for DH riding try get in touch with downhill mike http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=258060 Pretty sure he will be in to help you out. On the other side: trail, xc spectrum there is SMBA, Schenectady trails, Pine Bush, Colonie, Lock7. Guy to talk to would be jmitchell13 http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=274222. You might want to drop a thread in the NY forum as well as I only stick to local trails. I also agree to get the job near Albany.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    As an Albanian who's done time in Rochester (R.I.T.), I can tell you Albany is a better locale for many reasons (dons flame suit) and especially riding opportunities. Mainly due to the fact we're a lot closer to the Adirondacks, Catskills, Vermont and the rest of New England. If outdoor recreation is important to you, these areas offer plenty to do. Riding—XC and DH, skiing/boarding, back country hiking, rock/ice climbing, whitewater and flatwater paddling. You're not going to find a lot of these pursuits in Central NY in the same quantity/quality...and not without a lot of driving. It's pretty flat out there.

If by bike scene, you're picturing Portland, OR...well, we don't have that. There are no impromptu tall-bike group rides, or bike polo matches in the park, although there are some cyclocross races. Drivers still prefer cyclists dead on the side of the road, and have no problem letting you know it. Bike racks can be found...sometimes. Commuting by bike is possible if you pick your housing wisely and stay away from any main artery into the city.

One thing that Hutch mentioned, but didn't expand on, are the SMBA trails in Greenville (Saratoga), which is one of the best rider-managed and maintained trail networks around. Tech-riders heaven. And the network continues to expand. It's a 35 minute drive north of Albany.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Albany is a better area for lift-assisted riding.

Plattekill, Jiminy, Killington, Mount Snow, Whiteface, even Diablo aren't far away.

RideDirt
    Lot of good stuff out on the eastcoast and some serious trails , bring your balls with ya

mtbr member
    does West Mt. still do biking?
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Not anymore

mtbr member
    their 1st DH race I was the 1st racer off of the block! fun race! had it been just one run i would have taken 1st! but i wasn't ready for the back to back run and ended up in 4th ... great mountain and location and had tones of Plattekill potential ... wonder why they stopped?
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    I alternate between mountaincreek and plattekill. Catamount, hunter, jiminy peak and others are all no go's, windham opens their DH runs for the racers on world cup weekend only. I plan to visit the adirondacks and vermont parks and definitely highland next year though.

short timer
    Jul 2008
    New trails being laid out at Oak Mtn in Speculator. The new owners are serious about developing the MTB potential and plan to spin the lifts for the DH course starting next summer. Ed and his crew are working hard. Videos here: Photo & Video

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Albany for sure. I live north from there and am within 2 hrs of like 6 or so parks. There are 4 more within 4-5 hrs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I alternate between mountaincreek and plattekill. Catamount, hunter, jiminy peak and others are all no go's, windham opens their DH runs for the racers on world cup weekend only. I plan to visit the adirondacks and vermont parks and definitely highland next year though.
    have you been to Jiminy? I've ridden Highland, diablo, plattekill, whiteface, killington, bromont, burke, attitash, catamount, and mount snow, and Jiminy is in my top five. I actually prefer the riding there to Plattekill, but the vibe at Plattekill is significantly more fun (plus the BBQ). I would say the riding is similar to Bromont, but without nearly the trail variety.