Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Under-the-jersey body armor options?

I'm fairly new to DH and ride hard, so protection is a priority over fashion. But I would like to have both, if possible...

I've got a 661 vapor suit right now. I was hoping it would fit under a loose 3/4 sleeve jersey without looking like a football player. Not really. I could just rock the armor with nothing over it, but I'm wondering what others do.

Is the 661 EVO Pressure suit worth it? It looks low profile enough to wear under a jersey, but I'd be concerned about the protection which it would offer. Elbow and shoulder protection are the foremost concerns.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

Slap happy crappiness
    I use the 661 Subgear Compression suit which is lighter protection than the Pressure Suit and have been fine.
    But dropping $250 on some 661 suit to me isn't worth it unless they've changed their quality. Their stuff has always fit horribly, stupid long in the sleeves, falls apart quickly, etc...
    Never ridden it but I'm thinking about trying the TLD BP7855 suit.
    http://www.troyleedesigns.com/produc...t=104&id=18399
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

my fun has a hurting
    either the subgear compression stuff or the coresaver if you are set on 661. i use the former for most of my riding and the later for super gnar or the first few runs at a new system.

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    I like the Rockgardn flak jacket. Besides protection, it breathes pretty well to help keep you cool.

mtbr member
    I have always worn my body armor under my jersey while DH'ing. I use RockGardn' armor.
    When I used to Moto years ago, the protection was on the outside. Mostly roost protection but it helped if you bit it.

I was dirt-biking in Costa Rica last fall and went down hard at some speed. I was wearing my body armor inside of the jersey and my jersey was more or less ruined.
    It made me think that perhaps it would be better to wear the armor on the outside again. Armor is made to take the abuse, the jersey not as much.
    I wasn't happy that I ruined the shirt. Jersey's can be expensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    what's the big deal with wearing it under your jersey? your riding DH not going to a fashion show.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You can wear your full upper body armor any way you want but typically speaking you're going to look like a football player if you wear it under your jersey. That being said, I put my armor under my jersey but I buy my suit in pieces. I don't need all that webbing to hold all the pieces together. That's extra weight and heat is something I don't want to deal with.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    the 661 suit that I have (got it for $70 on chainlove!) fits me perfectly tight, so it goes under the jersey. The thin mesh of the 661 suit can rip easily, so i rather have the 661 go under my jersey. It's cheaper for me to go on Ebay and buy a used but in good condition jersey (under $10) then to replace the rip mesh of the 661 suit.

The other thing is the 661 does not protect the ribs, and to me, this is a gross oversight because there are occassions when you fall with ribs all laid out exposed. B8thch ouch!!!

habitual line-stepper
    i haven't seen a whole lot of reviews here, but i'm looking at the skeletools impact vest. my neighbor has had one for the past 3 years and has held up great. he rides at least every weekend, so its seen its share of abuse. roughly $100 shipped.

http://www.skeletools.com/Default.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just got the 661 SubGear compression shirts in the shop. I tried on the medium. Im 5'9'' 165 lbs. Tight but wont move around. Nice idea overall. Maybe be a bit warm. Will be real nice on the moto. The shoulders and arm pads are pretty solid material. I;ll give it a go

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehollx
    I've got a 661 vapor suit right now. I was hoping it would fit under a loose 3/4 sleeve jersey without looking like a football player. Not really.
    What size is the armor and jersey?
    I have that armor in large and wear it under large jerseys comfortably. You can tell I'm wearing pads but it's far from "football player". It's lower profile than a lot of older jackets.
    I just got this though cuz it looks even lower profile and more comfortable: Dainese Evolution Jacket.
    Keep the Country country.

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    ya the 661 pressure suit is the way to go!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by K2Lambo666
    ya the 661 pressure suit is the way to go!
    I am looking at getting new underarmor too....
    How is the quality of the 661 pressure suit and how does it hold up?
    I have always stayed away from 661 because everyone says their stuff is junk (poor quality, poorly made, and doesn't hold up)
    Is the pressure suit different?
    thanks,

mtbr member
    TLD CP5955

Really slim and light, easily fits under a jersey or T-shirt. I love mine, took a good whack to the shoulder with it today and got right up to keep riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Under-the-jersey body armor options?-2011-troy-lee-designs-cp-5955-chest-protector.jpg  

bike rider
    ^That one is made to go over the jersey. It's a "roost guard" style as opposed to the "pressure suits".

My 661 suit held up for 6 years. It was the same as the Vapor but with wider mesh connecting all the pads. Very cool but eventually the mesh started tearing. I was gonna replace it with a Vapor but that looks a little hotter than my old version. The Dainese Evolution has wide mesh, a shorter back protector so you can tuck your shirt in, and looks a little slimmer for $40 more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Had this for awhile but the shoulder pads were a little bulky with alot of padding and the spinal guard was incredibly thick with even more paddig under the shell:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=48765 (IXS Hammer Jacket)
    However, the overbuilt spinal guard had saved me from paralysis once where I went flying OTB on a STEEP slope landing WAY down the trail on my back. The fall was probably over one storey high.

Still the spinal guard was just way too bulky for me and I ordered this instead:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=30718(Thor Impact Rig)
    The overall padding under the hard plastic was a little thinner but it offered sufficient protection, does not really show under the jersey and kept me a lot cooler.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Really depends what amount of protection you're going for. Me and pressure suits don't get along, so I'm going with the Demon Dirt Leviathan Half Suit (link to my blog) this year.

It's pretty minimalistic being predominantly spine protection and a kidney belt - don't expect to take a hard hit off of the bike and not have a bruise or three, but you can actually move around in the thing.

Just depends where your priorities lie really. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    I have the POC VPD vest and love it! by far the best armor I have used in the 11 years I have been riding DH. The vest and POC elbow/forearm gaurds are nice and cool and comfortable.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    I have the POC VPD vest and love it!
    What sort of protection does that thing have? Mainly spine?

I thought the Demon Dirt Leviathan was minimal armour but that thing looks simple as!

bike rider
    For you guys running these minimal things, don't you rub/bump your shoulders and elbows on trees? I need the hard armor on shoulder and elbow for these scrapes. Also, when I low-side my elbow slides on the ground with most of my weight on it. When I'm not wearing armor and forget about it I've clipped my shoulder hard enough to make it sore for a couple days and I've torn my forearm up pretty bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    ^That one is made to go over the jersey. It's a "roost guard" style as opposed to the "pressure suits".

My 661 suit held up for 6 years. It was the same as the Vapor but with wider mesh connecting all the pads. Very cool but eventually the mesh started tearing. I was gonna replace it with a Vapor but that looks a little hotter than my old version. The Dainese Evolution has wide mesh, a shorter back protector so you can tuck your shirt in, and looks a little slimmer for $40 more.
    It is still way slimmer and easier to fit under a jersey than my Dainese Performance Armour was, and actually provides better chest, shoulder, and upper back protection. Fully integrates with the Leatt brace too.

However, it does not provide the same lower back protection found in most pressure suits with a full spine protector.

mtbr member
    For you guys running these minimal things, don't you rub/bump your shoulders and elbows on trees? I need the hard armor on shoulder and elbow for these scrapes. Also, when I low-side my elbow slides on the ground with most of my weight on it. When I'm not wearing armor and forget about it I've clipped my shoulder hard enough to make it sore for a couple days and I've torn my forearm up pretty bad.
    I wear the TLD CP-5955 which does have the shoulder protection, but nothing for the elbow. I would never want a full suit, as rarely do the integrated elbow protection fit correctly with the rest of the suit (at least for me).

Getting some "sleeveless" armor allows you the option to run your own choice of elbow pads, which is also a huge plus on hot days when you want to take them off between runs.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Actually I just checked the TLD website and they say it can go over or under

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just ordered a Troy Lee "Rincon" armor... looks pretty nice... I'll report back how i like it!
    Link
    http://www.troyleedesigns.com/produc...at=103&id=2814

2011 Intense M9...badassmofo
    2009 Cannondale Rize 3
    Redline Proline

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    If I'm riding a trail I don't know for the first time and get a tip off that it's pretty mental I'll wear elbow pads, but they are separate from my "suit".

I ride worse wearing armour due to lack of comfort, so I don't wear my armour. I figure I'm better off buying armour that is comfortable, but not as effective and actually wear it all the time.

Less effective armour that is being worn is more effective than more effective armour that isn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast