In the redwoods

New question here. Ugh.. getting a headache trying to choose a Minion

Hey guys -

I ride AM/FR with my Nomad, with a definite heavy lean towards FR/DH trails in the dry, rough, steep, loose and rocky Norcal trails (Santa Cruz mtns primarily). I love the technical gnar stuff way more than the smooth and flowy, so I beat the hell outta my bikes.

That being said - I'm looking for a replacement front tire for my trail bear that's on there right now.. I like running a nice fat front tire and a smaller rear (have a new High Roller II in the mail for my rear) and I'm looking at a Minion DHF for the front and was leaning towards the 2.7, especially since the minions run small.

I want the tire to last, so I'm not going for the special compounds but the MaxxPro 60a.

That all being said - would anyone be able clear up for the difference between these two tires?

Maxxis Minion DHF Downhill (Wire Bead) - Mike's Bikes - Road and Mountain Bike Shop, components, parts, accessories, service and repair

and

Maxxis Minion 2.7" Front Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

The 2.7's seem to about the same weight, and are they both the MaxxPro 60a? Basically, what's the difference between the single component DHF DH and just a plain 'ol DHF?

Would the DH version of the DHF not be wise, considering I -do- do a fair amount of pedaling/AM riding in order to get to the FR/DH trails I love?

If I wasn't going to get the 2.7 I would get the EXO, but at my current skill level and the types of really rough and choppy trails I'm riding, I want to keep it a little fatter up front to give me some forgiveness.

Any help to clear all this up would be GREATLY appreciated as I've spent hours researching (I'm new to buying tires) and I'm at my wit's end

Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    One cost more then the other........looks like the same tire. DH version is 2ply and heavier and what I ride on the park bike. Unless you're super heavy the EXO 2.5 will be plenty stout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have the 2.7 maxxpro 60 on the front of my Jedi and really like it and prefer the longevity of the 60a to the softer compounds . I don't think that the maxxpro is being made anymore and think that the current models are just a 60a duro. I think that all the wire bead with 2ply sidewalls are going to be DH specific. It looks like those two tires are going to be the same only the Jenson picture looks like an older model.
    Last edited by meSSican; 07-29-2013 at 04:10 PM.

perpetual pucker factor
    I use the 2.5 Minion DHF in the single ply EXO (only comes in a single ply 60a rubber compound). I'm a big guy and I like rocks. I much prefer pounding rock gardens to dirt sidewalks with jumps. I have them set up ghetto tubeless (bmx tube method). The tires hold up incredibly well to everything I throw at them. They grip better in hardpack and loose-over-hardpack than any tires I've ridden. Very predictable. Never had any issues with them tearing, folding over or failing. They're VERY noticeably lighter than the 2-ply dh-specific steel beaded tires. I think the 2-plys are overkill for almost anything except full on DH racing and the largest of drops.

In terms of longevity, I've heard the 3C compounds wear very fast. The single-ply EXOs have held up incredibly well. I killed a set of Nevegals in 4 months. Both the front and rear were chunked and knobs were tearing off. I switched to the Minions and it took me over a year and a half or riding the same rocky trails before I even noticed that they were getting a bit thin on tread. No chunks lost. Get them.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Huffy Rider
    Have you looked at a Conti Trail King 2.4 UST for the front? I run one on my DH bike cuz they are so huge. They wear well and you can get them for $45.

mtbr member
    Save the dual ply DHF's for lift assist riding - trust me, they are HEAVY and not pedal friendly. The single ply's are a little sketch but honestly, the Santa Cruz Mtns aren't that technical so the single ply 2.5 DHF (or Trail King as was mentioned) is a decent choice. Having said that, I prefer a sidewall somewhere in-between dual and single ply like Schwalbe's freeride specific tires so I run Big Betty rear and Muddy Mary (2.35 similar size to 2.5 DHF) front for my light FR/DH bike that I need to pedal back uphill. The MM would pair nicely with your HRII in back (that's real similar to a BB) and works better than a DHF when the going gets wet (real similar in dry).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

perpetual pucker factor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    I prefer a sidewall somewhere in-between dual and single ply
    That's percisely why I like the EXO minions. They're about a 1.5 ply thickness with the exo sidewall insert. Without that extra bit, they'd be super mushy like my old Nevegals.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I ran a single ply 2.5 and 2.7 3C DHF on the front of both my bikes for a little over a year with no issues. Saw many runs down Braille. I'm not a heavy rider though.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    That's percisely why I like the EXO minions. They're about a 1.5 ply thickness with the exo sidewall insert. Without that extra bit, they'd be super mushy like my old Nevegals.
    Good to know! Are they coming tubeless "ready" these days? The wire bead versions always mounted tubeless fine for me but I've heard horror stories about their folding bead versions.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

perpetual pucker factor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Good to know! Are they coming tubeless "ready" these days? The wire bead versions always mounted tubeless fine for me but I've heard horror stories about their folding bead versions.
    They don't make a full tubeless (LUST) version of the EXO tire. I have them set up on some DT Swiss FR600 rims using the stans+bmx tube method. It actually was not hard at all to set up. I just had to go down the street to a gas station since i don't have a compressor. Quick puff of air, massage around tire, and bam, it sealed right up. Hasn't burped since.

I think the horror stories are when the people try to seal the tire directly against the rim. The bead material on a lot of folding tires is kinda hard and not very smooth. I've used the bmx tube method on three bikes, all of which had very different rim profiles. I've found that the shape of the rims' bead hooks are more a problem when trying to seat the tire than folding vs wire beads. All 3 times I've done it were with folding bead DHF EXOs, it worked extremely well, and the bmx tube helps the bead seal better against the rim's bead hook since it is a soft buffer. It's sort of like the softer UST bead seat area when it's mounted up. Super easy, and it lasts.

In the redwoods
    Thanks, folks, for the input. Very helpful.

Charging_rhinos thank you for the excellent input about the EXO's.. they do indeed sound like a nice balance for my setup and riding. I will steer away from the DH version and stick to the EXO.

Quote Originally Posted by motochick
    Have you looked at a Conti Trail King 2.4 UST for the front? I run one on my DH bike cuz they are so huge. They wear well and you can get them for $45.
    That is actually the other tire I've been considering. I don't run a tubeless setup, so I'm assuming the UST is out and I would go for the black chili 2.4 version.

From what I gather between the Trail King and the Minion, the Trail King is fatter and rounded whereas the Minion is narrower and more precise in the cornering? Anyone mind going a little more into what kind of riding/riders these two tires cater more towards?

I would say that, while I love to charge technical steep and loose rough stuff, and love logs, roots, and rock gardens, I am certainly not adept at cornering (for example, I've been reading that the DHF is catered towards those who can corner aggressively and engage the tread properly?), and more adept at flying off of things unexpectedly and casing landings. Just trying to match a tire to my riding.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    id go with continental,,,,, i have been a maxxis user myself for years,,, always loved highrollers, and swampthings, and my brothers used minions, and spesh butchers,,,
    on the knollys we just built up we thought we'd try somthing differant,, and see what all the fuss is about with continental tyres, on the podium i got baron 2.3 black chilli compound, on the endo and cols chilcotin we got rubber queen ( trail kings in the USA) again in black chilli compound, all i can say is omg believe the hype, they are that good, the amount of grip they offer is unbelieveable... and bikesdiscount.de does then reasonably cheap to.

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mythosman View Post
    From what I gather between the Trail King and the Minion, the Trail King is fatter and rounded whereas the Minion is narrower and more precise in the cornering?
    I can tell you that, yes, the TK is fat and rounded compared to the more squared off DHF. (I run the TK and Hubby runs the DHF, so I am looking at both right now) I cannot attest to how they are different when riding, as I have never run a DHF in the front. Both of our tires are mounted on 23mm internal width, and the TK 2.4 are 6mm wider then the DHF 2.5, same air pressure......just for reference.

In the redwoods
    @motochick I believe the difference in riding is that the TK has transition knobs whereas the Minion does not, so for those still midway on the learning curve, like myself, the TK might be better for confidence-building.

I may just end up trying both (always nice to have a quality spare)

Last questions (I promise):

If I were to go with the TK - is there any downside/upside to using the UST version even though I will be running tubes and normal rims? I ask this because the place I'm ordering them from does not have the non-usp version in 2.4.

Secondly, would it be better to run dual TK's (2.4 front, 2.2 rear) or a 2.4 TK in the front and the High Roller in the back?

Thank you.

Huffy Rider
    I have used both the UST and non, I like the UST better, I am tubeless tho. If you run tubes, it won't matter. Not sure where you are ordering from, but biketiresdirect has them on sale for $45. I run the DHF on the rear of my DH bike because I kept ruining the TK 2.2 on the rear. On my pedal bike, where speeds are slower, I run the TK F/R with no ill effect. I think if you are hitting sharp rocks hard at high speeds, might want something tougher in the rear. You can never have too many tires, try all kinds of fun combos!!

In the redwoods
    Thanks. I'll plan on keeping the high roller on the back and try out a TK or Minion on the front.