Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    That kinda hurt.

Ugh.... Another "vs" thread, 303-r-DH or TR250, But this one is specific!!!.

SO, this is my Dilemma.

I'm a returning racer, i've taken some years off, and i'm not in as bad-ass shape as I once was.

I'm hardly old (24) but By the standards of DH, i'm at LEAST middle aged.

Assuming Money was no object for ONE bike, but you could not have BOTH, because that would of course be ideal, which would you choose?

-East coast rider, so super smooth runs are not altogether common.
    -
    Will be getting back into racing, but i'm not really thinking it will be a huge part of my riding, I'll do maybe 2-3 of the Gravity East series a year. However, what I enter, I intend to win. The rest of the time, i'd like to mess around, and just have fun.

-Clydesdale, 235 with full gear

-Fairly (7/10) aggressive rider, lots of late trail-braking and i enjoy a bike i can lay on its side into a turn. My ideal track is FAST, with high speed turns and some mid-technical sections. I'm not a rock garden fan, but I can handle it if it's part of a course.

Both bikes would be full Saint build with Mavic Deemax Ultimate's or I9 DH's

The TR250 would have a Boxxer dual crown on it, or a 36/180mm Talas Kashima fork.

The Yeti 303-RDH would have the Standard fox 40 RC2 W/Kashima on it.

I happen to know people at both companies, and think equally highly of both sets of people. My issue is, is the RDH light and playful enough for non-race day lift-served shenanigans.

Equal but opposite, can the TR250 with a dual crown we acceptable for a few downhill races a year, it's clearly playful enough, but can it buckle down on race-day?

I hope this is a more informed question than "OMG WHICH ONE"S BETTER!!!"

Thanks!

Glad to Be Alive
    better bikes then both of them....Intense M-9 lots of adjustments or SCruz V-10

as for the Intense...long wheel base....very very stable at high speeds. better suspension design the your choices IMO....Tr 250 is almost a mini dh bike 160 or 180mm for travel...it's more slopestyle then full on DH rig...sounds like you are more about going faster, so definately the M9

personally I don't like the rail system of the Yeti....don't really want to go much further then that because everyone has a different opinion of that system...
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-27-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

That kinda hurt.
    Well the Santa Cruz is out because I get nervous about the longevity of Carbon with Clydesdales.

The M9 looks like a good bike, i'm just a little worried it might be too much bike for just mucking around on weekends at Highlands or similar bike locations.

That kinda hurt.
    Basically, I know it's unrealistic to ask for 1 DH bike to rule them all, because i wouldn't have multiple bikes in the first place if that was possible, i'm just trying to get as big a net as possible with 1 bike for the next couple years.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by GraphiteBrawler View Post
    Basically, I know it's unrealistic to ask for 1 DH bike to rule them all, because i wouldn't have multiple bikes in the first place if that was possible, i'm just trying to get as big a net as possible with 1 bike for the next couple years.
    build a M-9 run it in the 8.5 inch mode for dolling around and 9.5 in rougher stuff....so many adjustments ...it is awesome
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

That kinda hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    build a M-9 run it in the 8.5 inch mode for dolling around and 9.5 in rougher stuff....so many adjustments ...it is awesome
    I'll hop on one this weekend and see how it compares to the TR450 and 250 i've ridden in the past, But it does seem like a popular race bike these days!

Glad to Be Alive
    I'll hop on one this weekend and see how it compares to the TR450 and 250 i've ridden in the past, But it does seem like a popular race bike these days!

you will never look back

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm looking to race, my trails are hellarockgnar, and I'm not sure if I need a karpiel armageddon or a specialized carbon stumpjumper singlespeed rigid.

But seriously, if you're looking to ride DH, and occasionally race DH, I recommend buying a DH bike instead of a long travel jump bike that can handle some hucks and a few rocks here and there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If your going to be doing races and planning on winning I say the 303RDH. I see the east cost as being rocky and gnarly. I think the TR250 will be overwhelmed by all the rocks. If your going to he doing lift riding and like Transitiion why not get the TR450.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Never rode a 303...but last season i had a 250 with a 36 180 vanilla, my buddy had a boxxer r2c2 on it. Both were awesome in rock gardens, jumped great, got up to speed great. I rode both bikes and liked both of them. If you're going to be doing straight on dh the whole season, the 250 is not the right bike.
    it's more of a whistler/park/heavy trail/some dh bike. just fyi...i own a v10 carbon right now and i'd take the 250 for everything that isn't a gnarly dh trail. they're great bikes...just still bike bikes. maybe look at a 951 instead of an m9 if you wanted to go intense

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson View Post
    Never rode a 303...but last season i had a 250 with a 36 180 vanilla, my buddy had a boxxer r2c2 on it. Both were awesome in rock gardens, jumped great, got up to speed great. I rode both bikes and liked both of them. If you're going to be doing straight on dh the whole season, the 250 is not the right bike.
    it's more of a whistler/park/heavy trail/some dh bike. just fyi...i own a v10 carbon right now and i'd take the 250 for everything that isn't a gnarly dh trail. they're great bikes...just still bike bikes. maybe look at a 951 instead of an m9 if you wanted to go intense
    How did the 250 feel in the rock gardens compared with a DH bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    like vs. the v10 i own...the v10 is better because there's 3 more inches of travel. i never lacked though at all with all my friends here in utah. still ultra fast in rock gardens. They are very quick on dh trails. i didn't feel like i was any slower than if i was on a proper dh bike because it's super nimple. what it lacks in having 8in of travel, it makes up for in being just a quick nimble bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    better bikes then both of them....Intense M-9 lots of adjustments or SCruz V-10

as for the Intense...long wheel base....very very stable at high speeds. better suspension design the your choices IMO....Tr 250 is almost a mini dh bike 160 or 180mm for travel...it's more slopestyle then full on DH rig...sounds like you are more about going faster, so definately the M9

personally I don't like the rail system of the Yeti....don't really want to go much further then that because everyone has a different opinion of that system...
    Fixed it for you - TR450 I'd actually take over an M9 any day.

To each their own,

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

That kinda hurt.
    Found a semi-local shop that has a 450, 250, and m9, all employee owned, for me to touch tomorrow. I know how much i like the transitions ride, we'll see if the M9 is better.

With the adjustable chain stay's on the 450, plus a fairly simple suspension design, it might end up being the winner.

Why do decisions on new bikes always have to be so hard >.<

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What ever bike you chose keep us posted, especially if you get the TR450. I'm curious to see how it handels your tight sections of the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I demoed several bikes last summer and one of them was an RDH. Two months ago, I bought one. Its a sweet, sweet bike.
    To be fair, I did not demo a TR250, but I did demo a Spesh Demo 8, a Trek, and a SC something or other.

mtbr member
    how about a morewood? highly rated bike. a handnade higher quality transition

Makulu - Downhill - Bikes - Morewood or the 7" model

Kalula - Freeride - Bikes - Morewood

That kinda hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatMutt View Post
    I demoed several bikes last summer and one of them was an RDH. Two months ago, I bought one. Its a sweet, sweet bike.
    To be fair, I did not demo a TR250, but I did demo a Spesh Demo 8, a Trek, and a SC something or other.
    How did the weight feel, and how was low-speed cornering?

We can't always ride ballz-out, so in slower speeds, and on jump trails, did you feel hindered?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    how about a morewood? highly rated bike. a handnade higher quality transition

Makulu - Downhill - Bikes - Morewood or the 7" model

Kalula - Freeride - Bikes - Morewood
    i feel like it just comes down to price if you're comparing 450/250 vs. makulu/kalula. can't speak to the higher quality thing because i haven't broken any of those frames, but i've ridden them all and like them all

That kinda hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson View Post
    i feel like it just comes down to price if you're comparing 450/250 vs. makulu/kalula. can't speak to the higher quality thing because i haven't broken any of those frames, but i've ridden them all and like them all
    The fact I couldn't find a price on their website kind of tells me everything i need to know. But the welds and paint on those bikes is extremely well done.

They look like nice bikes, but I have a problem paying MSRP for anything, or buying from companies where i don't know people personally. I like to support friends and folks i've met over the years. I find it always comes back to be a positive for everyone involved.

So on both counts,the Makulu is not really for me.

That kinda hurt.
    Well, after some riding today, I ordered a TR450 in Matte Black, size medium.

The single pivot, while a little "divey" under heavy braking, is really predictable,so you can correct for it. Maybe it's a little dated? But It's also a setup i'm familiar with, so comfort is a factor.

When i checked out the M9 the mechanic owned, It just didn't get my heart strings going. I'll be the first to admit you have to love how your bike looks before you love how it rides.

I rode it for a quick jaunt, carefully because it wasn't my bike, and the linkage just didn't feel right to me.

So in the end, neither 250 nor RDH was the winner! though i never got to ride the RDH because I couldn't find anyone local.

The matte Frame is on backorder, but as soon as it's in, I'll take pics and post up on for everyone!

mtbr member
    From personal experience I say don't buy into the whole mini-DH bike fad. You end up with a bike with DH weight, not as much DH prowess and just as much DH uselessness (can't climb). Most good DH bikes now a days pedal really really well already and, depending on the bike, ride quite light are quite poppy.

I saw go RDH, it will do ANYTHING the 250 can and then some. The extra travel matters. If a bike can maintain playfulness and have 8 plus inches, it's not so much "why" but it's more of a "why the hell not".

^The above is considering you really are limited to the 2 options. But I'll side with SMT for the M9 if you have the means. Amazing bike. You will be surprised how maneuverable, poppy and pedally it can still be despite having 9 plus inches. I've ridder FR bikes for most of my biking life and the M9 feels like a slack low FR bike until you hit a big rock and the bike doesn't spike. If you can, get an M9!
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    TBC all the way ----
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    The fact I couldn't find a price on their website kind of tells me everything i need to know. But the welds and paint on those bikes is extremely well done.

They look like nice bikes, but I have a problem paying MSRP for anything, or buying from companies where i don't know people personally. I like to support friends and folks i've met over the years. I find it always comes back to be a positive for everyone involved.

So on both counts,the Makulu is not really for me.
    fanatik had the makulu on sale. nice price, but transition is a great company and if you click on a size and colour they do show pricing at the morewood site

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    he got the 450 for those of you that didnt bother reading the thred hehe

next time take a trip to euroland and get a summum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast