mtbr member
    Sep 2006

turning a stinky into a short travel duallie

hi all
    well im sitting here watching the rain and thinking about how much riding sucks with a bike that saps all of your energy before you even get to the jumps, because you've got a killer front fork with a **** heap of a rear shock.
    Welcome to an 08 kona stinky.
    Friggen wicked 66 RCV upfront,
    **** heap roco coil r out back.
    Anyway im in the process of buying a dhx 5 coil, but its a ***** to buy anything here in australia (well were i live anyway). So im sitting there trying to think of ways to make the bike have less travel, without a expensive shock upgrade, fancy adjustments or buying a new bike. i was trying to think of a way of stopping the travel at about 2 to 4 inch's, but not blow up the frame if i case it.
    And then an idea hit me after looking at the rockshox vivid bumper stopper's, why not make some big ones of rubber? but the problem of possibly blowing up the frame if i land wrong came bac.
    then it hit me foam!
    i took a stress ball that was rather hard to squeeze cut it up and stuck it on the shaft of the shock under the brown rubber stopper. my first thought was "wow this is gonna be a waste of time"
    i couldnt belive how wrong i was
    the bike felt bloody great! the rear end felt so much more predictable and controllable. it shortens the travel considerably but wont blow up the frame if the landing goes wrong.
    now before people start flaming me saying
    it looks like ****
    and the foam will wear out quick
    well it looks like **** caus it was 10 at night and i only quickly cut them out to try
    and it probably will wear out quick
    but on moday im going to buy some nice hard long wearing foam an will properly cut it out this time.
    Anyway here are some pics of my little project, plz tell me wat you think but dont flame if you thinks its stupid
    ps (sorry for the long post, i like to rant )
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Beaver
    It looks
    it was
    an interesting
    idea, but I would think
    that it would
    be
    a
    better
    idea to put a
    stiff/high nimber
    coil on the
    rear
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Bad idea. You might as well eliminate the rear shock altogether as the shocks progressive design allows the first few inches to be relatively soft. Because of this you'll blow through the travel immediately thus making the shock pretty much useless. Do what I did for my Heckler and install a really stiff spring. Its now a combination DJ and trail machine.

Mi vida es bueno
    I didn't even know they made a roco without a damper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splatman
    I didn't even know they made a roco without a damper.
    They don't.

moaaar shimz
    I didn't even know they made a roco without piggyback
    There ya go mate, fixed it for ya.

Tuck & roll...
    Interesting idea. Take it out for some Am riding and tell me what ya think ok? I'm not as freeked out as some of these others are. The downside to this experiment is no big deal. After all you can restore it back to its original damping capability easey enuff. I have an 07 Stinky.

Let me know how it goes.

Mi vida es bueno
    I didn't even know they made a roco without piggyback
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    There ya go mate, fixed it for ya.
    Thanks bro, that's what I meant to say.

StraightOuttaCompton
    that shock is going to feel like shiat.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    that shock is going to feel like shiat.
    Yeah...... is this thread a joke?

moaaar shimz
    I don't think that's such a great idea, better get a heavier spring and call it even..

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NicKKo
    hi all
    well im sitting here watching the rain and thinking about how much riding sucks with a bike that saps all of your energy before you even get to the jumps, because you've got a killer front fork with a **** heap of a rear shock.
    I don't see how a big bottom-out bumper (or squishy whatchamagig) is gonna help pedaling. If the spring and/or damping is wrong for you, fix the problem. Don't fix some other problem that doesn't exist.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but it just sounds like faulty logic.

Your wicked 66 is now going to be very unbalanced with whatever is going on out back.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    I swear to god... Everytime I visit this forum, there is at least ONE thread on the first page that makes me want to poke my eyes out...

Glad to Be Alive
    if you are worried about pedaling then you need to stiffen the suspension up not shorten the travel with a bigger bumper....besides you shortening the travel with the bigger bumper will still have the same bounce pedaling as before, since pedal bob is still in the first part of travel

a heavier spring, turn up compression and slow down rebound will help...also more air pressure in tires or better yet,....get smaller tires (that will make it easier to pedal
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

dosnt chng titls...o wait
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    Bad idea. You might as well eliminate the rear shock altogether as the shocks progressive design allows the first few inches to be relatively soft. Because of this you'll blow through the travel immediately thus making the shock pretty much useless. Do what I did for my Heckler and install a really stiff spring. Its now a combination DJ and trail machine.
    same done here. im 118 lbs and i use a 550lb spring noo more bottoming
    it might be overkill, but the old spring sucked just as bad on small stuff
    tubes hate me

mtbr member
    I'm just wondering, why get a 7" travel bike if you're not gonna use any of it's travel?

mtbr member
    It looks so sick dudee...