mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Turn a demo 9 into a 8?

So I got me a smoking deal on a new demo 9 frame less shock, looking at the spec it lists a 9.5inch eye to eye with 3 inch stroke shock, specs for demo 8 frame everything is the same except shock which is listed as 8.75 eye to eye with 2.75 stroke. Now I have a 5th element coil lying around that is 9.00 long with 2.75 stroke, working off the fact that the demo 9 would appear to have a 3:1 leverage ratio I calculated that I would end up with 8.25inchs of travel with a slightly lower bottom bracket height than standard. Has anybody ever tried this or seen it done. My main concern is if the rear suspension is progressive will I loose the initial plushness by having the shorter shock therefore suspension already partialy in it's stroke.

cheers

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    turing a DEMO8 into a DEMO9 would make sence but what your thinking of doing is stupid. get yourself a new shock...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    turing a DEMO8 into a DEMO9 would make sence but what your thinking of doing is stupid. get yourself a new shock...
    Actually what you just said is more stupiderererer.
    Why is putting a longer shock on a smaller frame Okay and putting a shorter shock on a frame made for a bigger one stupid? With what you're saying is is okay, you'll jack up the bottom bracket and push the swingarm outside of it's intended range and potentially screw up the intended axle path/pedaling relationship.

Putting a shorter shock on still keeps the bike within it's intended range.

mamoi: the only thing that come immediately to mind is that your 9 is intended to have 3 inches of movement within the 9.5 inches of shock range. Your 9" eye to eye shock cuts into half and inch....the stroke goes another 2.75, which puts your swing arm at a postion equal to 3.25 inches into the travel. Does that make sense? So at bottom out, your shock mount link is 0.25 inches further in. Put it in without the spring and see if your get any wierd frame or wheel contact at bottom out.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    That would be dope. My main problem with my Demo was the geometry. If it was lower/slacker I might still be riding it now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal