mtbr member
    Dec 2004

try my minion dh casings tubeless?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be purchasing some charger experts from CRC for my AM/FR bike. I don't have the money to buy new UST or tubeless ready tires, and I currently have pretty fresh minion 2.7 60d and 3c tires. I'm a light rider, don't pinch flat often but would like to try tubeless. The charger wheelsets comes with stans and everything so I just feel like I should try it out. Yet I hear the horror stories of people burping front tires and eating it, etc. Should be safe and stick to tubes in a fresh tubeless ready wheelset?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Not sure what the inner rim width is on the Charger but 2.7 seems kind of large for a 28mm rim. I think the tire would be rather tall and have a tendency to unseat when pressed into berms and corners.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

yea

internal width is pretty skinny, right about 23. The flow rim is similar but havent heard of people running maxxis 2.7s tubeless on them. I'm down sizing next tires too.

1:18
    I ran the Minion 2.5 DH 2-ply (non-UST) on Flows in the back. Can't report about hard pressing lateral forces since the tire didn't see much riding of that kind.

If it burped (briefly, just hissing air), I've put in a bit more pressure next time. Adding good rubber rimstrip (Flow specific or homemade) also helped.

If you're light and smooth, it shouldn't be a problem.

mtbr member
    I'd say a 2.7 is pushing it on a rim that narrow.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind a 2.7 minion is closer in size to a true 2.5.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I have run a 2.5 single ply Minion EXO on a Stans Flow rim tubeless successfully. Though I have only had it burp once (perhaps from user error, running pressure too low) it was nearly catastrophic. It burped mid nose-manual in the parking lot at the bottom of a shuttle run and I almost faceplanted into the back of my truck.

Stray Bullet
    I"m running 2.7 Minion 3C's tubeless on on Mavic 823 (23mm internal width). They worked for 8 days at Whistler and tons of shuttle perfectly.

Before you try putting them on tubeless I'd mount them with a tube at 50 psi for a week or so. Helps to take any kinks out of the bead. Use plenty of Stan's and a compressor and you should be good.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I've been on standard Minions/Highrollers (2.5) with 823s for a while now. Solid set-up. Can't say how they'll work on the rims you have though.

Avoid the UST models. I ran them for a long time, and finally gave up on them cause the bead likes to tear away from the sidewall. Stans won't fix that... It might not be a problem with the Charger rims depending on the bead shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama View Post
    I"m running 2.7 Minion 3C's tubeless on on Mavic 823 (23mm internal width). They worked for 8 days at Whistler and tons of shuttle perfectly.

Before you try putting them on tubeless I'd mount them with a tube at 50 psi for a week or so. Helps to take any kinks out of the bead. Use plenty of Stan's and a compressor and you should be good.
    may I ask your weight and what psi you usually run?

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolisbad1 View Post
    may I ask your weight and what psi you usually run?
    I weight about 225 and run 30/35 psi F/R on my DH bike with dual play tires. On my AM bike with single ply tires I run 35/40 psi. I need a little more pressure so the rear tire doesn't squirm. Tubeless on the road bike as well. 95 psi.

Off the back...
    I have Mavic 823 rims with Minion 42A DHF 2.7 up front and 2.5 in back, rode them all season at 22-25 psi with nary a burp. I'm a lithe 175 and am routinely told that I ride with no finesse or grace. I also didn't push them very hard, with some shuttle runs but mostly AM.