mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Trek Session 88 FR as a do-it-all bike ?

Hi,

I have a chance to grab 2009 Session 88 FR. I'm mostly planning it to use for a downhill, but if i'll be travelling and taking a bike with me - I only want to take 1 bike, so wonder how this bike would work for an occasional XC ride? Does it pedal fairly well, or its only good when going down slope ?

And, if anyone can compare it to Specialized SX Trail (the other model I'm looking at) - how would you rate it ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    given your description i would say go for sx. unless you plan on racing or riding extreme gnar, in which case session. i imagine the session FR is just a session with a single crown on it, correct?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yep.
    Don't really see myself riding extreme gnar any time soon either, not at that skill level yet

Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    given your description i would say go for sx. unless you plan on racing or riding extreme gnar, in which case session. i imagine the session FR is just a session with a single crown on it, correct?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    the sx is a very capable bike. My buddy had one, traded it for a full on dh rig because he races, couldn't afford both. He misses the sx because according to him, it was more fun. I assume its also because he could ride it pretty much anywhere, as apposed to the flatline he got which is a bit more tiresome for xc and such

ride free
    session 88 is quite hard to be pedal: the Specy SX fits more to your needs

Glad to Be Alive
    I just bought a Santa Cruz Nomad on Ebay for 2800 shipped...carbon cranks seat riser, lite tubeless rims and the thing weighs 30 pounds....awesome pedal bike...I sold my stumpjumper and now just use this for XC and AM ...can be used for DH but I like my M9
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    I just bought a Santa Cruz Nomad on Ebay for 2800 shipped...carbon cranks seat riser, lite tubeless rims and the thing weighs 30 pounds....awesome pedal bike...I sold my stumpjumper and now just use this for XC and AM ...can be used for DH but I like my M9
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The SX Trail is a fantastic bike. I picked up a frame with an RC4 (it was a 2010, back when it had 170mm, not the 180mm from 2011-2012). It pedaled well, and also felt great on the down. I ended up getting rid of it because for a 170mm bike, my Knolly Delirium felt infinitely more plush, and a better pedaler aswell (even though it is heavier)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Cool, thanks everyone, guess SX it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've used my session for many XC rides steep stuff with only a 38 Tooth up front. No issues. I rode the sx it a good bike to but I think the trek preformed at a higher level. Hands down Trek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a similar set up, session 8 with a rockshox totem rc2 dh fork, I've taken it for a Xc ride recently. I usually ride a specialized hard rock but wanted to try the trails with a full suspension set up, It made all the DH spots amazing but there's 3 hills one right after another for a total of a 1/4 mile climb and it wasn't enjoyable at all. I usually power up non stop no problem but found myself stoping for a second before the last hill. So if u do more DH riding like I do go with the session nd settle for a cheaper Xc set up, but if Xc is your thing stay away from a DH set up the plushness works against you hardcore.